March 2014 Moms

STMs + with kids 2 years apart - come inside

jamieandlorijamieandlori member
edited March 2014 in March 2014 Moms
Is anyone else struggling with two small kiddos? DD is 2 weeks old and DS will be 2 yrs old in 10 days. I'm nursing DD, so that takes up a lot of time throughout the day. DS does not nap, either, so there is no break there. Dinners have consisted of a lot of rotisserie chickens, mac n' cheese and pizza. :( Showering and keeping up with necessary house chores (dishes, laundry, etc) are a struggle. We have hardly made it out of the house on our own, as it seems like it's one feeding, diaper change, mess after another. And Im a bit nervous to nurse in public, because I'm not sure how to contain DS while I nurse DD. And I'm used to nursing with our Brestfriend pillow. Anyone been here, or doing better than me, want to share your tips and tricks.

ETA - And I have 2 dogs which require their fair share of work, as well.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: STMs + with kids 2 years apart - come inside

• Don't worry about dinners! That's what my dd eats for every meal. She is a terrible eater and I gave up trying to force healthy goods on her. I shower at night now so my routine is much quicker in the morning and we also switched DD's bath time to at night. I'm pumping so I do have to work around that to go out but I always just pack a bottle for ds since it's inevitable that he will get hungry as soon as we leave. At home while I pump dd either plays or if she is being cranky she gets a tv show..not ideal but I have to pump so whatever! My heart hurts for you that your lo isn't napping anymore though!
  • I have no advice but I feel your pain. We have never left the house all together. Every day is chaotic since half my time is spent nursing.
  • Loading the player...
  • My older two were just 2 yrs apart, and my first didn't nap either! I promise it does get easier, even though that's not what you want to hear right now but it's true!! Hang in there, eat the quick meals, don't worry about the state of the house, don't feel bad having some extra quiet time with a movie for the older one, it'll all be worth it in the end! You'll look at this time a few years from now and feel good that you made it through, and watch how close they are, how much they'll play together and you'll find the time for all the things you can't do now!

(Then you'll feel adventurous and want to add a 3rd to the mix like I did and really challenge your sanity lol!!)

Hang in there I'm sure you're doing great!! (( :
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I feel you. Its exhausting. Shower at night or take your oldest in the shower with you while lo is sleeping. Try nursing in the car? Those are a few things I've tried. Do you have family close by that can help out one or two days a week so you can have a second to yourself to shower or run to the store?

DD born 9/15/12

DS due 3/6/14

• @clo1982‌ I totally commend you for pumping with 2 LO's. I EPed with DS for 7 months, so I know how much work is involved. Before DD was born I said if BF didn't work out, we'd have to do formula, because I couldn't see myself pumping with a 2 year old.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @StephBrim24‌ I'm glad to know I'm not the only one struggling! Hope things get better for us soon.

@Moedowell‌ I have a few friends who say the same exact thing. It's just hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel, lol.

@ydawg05‌ My MIL lives local. She watched my son off and on for the first week, or so, but he was reacting a bit negatively to it. I think he really missed me, as he hasn't spent much time completely away from me. I felt really guilty and sad, so I've been trying to keep him home more now, even though it's definitely a struggle.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have a ton of help... our nanny is coming over on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays to help with DD while I take care of LO and keep up with chores and errands and dogs, and I'm still struggling.  The days that I'm alone with both are SO LONG!  We have made a few trips out, just the three of us, and when I have to nurse, I do it in the car and give DD my phone to either watch a show or play a game.  I'm not sure what to do with DD in a public place while nursing...  we haven't tried that yet because I'm scared she's going to run away.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• I have a 5 year old, 20 month old twins and my 3 week old son. I try do do very easy meals, meals in crockpot etc.... As far as chores I try to get one thing done a day. Laundry on. On days, clean bathrooms on Tuesdays... And getting out, yikes. I am hoping to take everyone out to story time next week. I have not attempted to take everyone out yet. I shower in the morning before my hubby goes to work and before my twins are up. Honestly my baby is easy peasy, it's my twin toddler terrors which make me sweat and loose my mind. Good luck!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jamieandlorijamieandlori member
    edited March 2014
    @melcass‌ Bless you! I seriously cannot even imagine! And I agree, the baby is the easy one.

@FarmBoysWife‌ We have gone from no tv on to tv on all the time. By the end of the day I cannot stand the sound of cartoons anymore! I keep telling myself it won't be forever.

@bunnyfungo I will definitely look forward to those posts on Tuesdays!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was there after I had my daughter last time. She was a relatively easy baby but I had to EP for her and DS is a spirited child so I was so worn out. It got easier after the first month, we got into a bit of a routine. I admit I let DS watch too much tv but it was all I could do to keep him calm and off me while I pumped. We started to get out of the house around 4 weeks daily or I'd go crazy. We found some play places or sometimes just the play area and to walk around the mall. At least the weather should cooperate soon for you hopefully. You have my sympathy for your non-napping son! Not even 2 and he quit naps?! That's awful!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"