March 2014 Moms

Taking baby to a bridal shower?

edited March 2014 in March 2014 Moms
Hi mamas give me your thoughts on taking Fallyn to a bridal shower April 12. She will be 5.5 weeks old. I would leave her with DH but it's an hour and 20 min drive to the shower so that doesn't leave much time for gap between feelings. So.. Here are my options 1. Take her and try not to feel guilty (don't want attention on baby.. It's the brides event) 2. Have dh drive with us and the two of them shop/run errands/waste time while I make an appearance if she needs to eat I run out and feed her 3. Pray I can have lo ok with bm bottle by then and leave her with DH at home (still too far for my liking) 4. Don't go idiot you have a newborn Edit sorry about iPad formatting ugh

Re: Taking baby to a bridal shower?

• If you'd feel better taking her, ask the bride if it would be alright with her (assuming you're a guest but not in the bridal party).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @jenstwins I'm a guest not in the bridal party... Good idea @Laura8388‌ #3 scares me. Not because DH can't handle it (he's great with her) but we have only tried a bottle one time with half ass success (I don't think lo was really hungry). DH starts his days off tomorrow so we plan to try a bottle tomorrow eve, if poss
  • Loading the player...
  • It depends whether kids are welcome, and whether YOU want a break :) Personally I'd try for 2 or 3. 
    image image
    D: Born 7.14.11
    Baby #2: BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
    O: Born 3.2.14 (med-free!)
  • I'm going to a bridal shower this Saturday and taking my little guy. DH will be busy and can't watch him. I'm not comfortable leaving him with anyone yet besides DH, so he's coming with.

My plan is to try to keep him in his car seat or in my arms, I should go buy a wrap actually, but I'll just stay in the background and try not to draw attention to us.
  • If you are worried about her stealing the light from the bride I would definitely do #3 if she is ok with the bottle. It was surprisingly easy to get DS to start using the bottle. Or else I would just bring her. People love babies and I'm sure she would just sleep through most of it anyways. Not like she's running around.
    Married 6-1-13
    Sebastian 3-11-14
    Simon 5-2-15
    Baby #3 Due 9-29-16
  • I am having the same dilemma except it is for my sister in law to be and i am in the wedding and DD will be 3.5 weeks. I also dont want to take her spot light. Started pumping today and my DH can't go out of town with us because of work, but if I can get her to take a bottle maybe leave her with my dad. So hard! Goodluck on your decison!
  • I would contact the bride and see if she's ok with your LO being there. If not then I would go with 2 or 3. Maybe even consider getting a wrap because then baby is hidden and "hard to access" for all those who want to hold baby.

A little different but I went to a baby shower when DD was about 4 weeks old. I had her out for 20 min or so for people to ohhh and ahhhh her then in the wrap she went. She was so quiet you wouldn't have known there was even a baby there! I'd definitely ask the bride first though.
    Kinley Diane
    Born 2/4/14
    Weighing 6 lbs 10 oz and 20 inches long

• I had to take our 1wkold to a baby shower yesterday, as I was hosting and it was my SIL and my IL's family and I felt very out numbered on my idea to leave her behind.. My main concerns were germs, ppl holding her and stealing baby thunder from my SIL but when it was said and done no thunder stolen, she stayed in her carseat for almost the whole party and only a very small few (grandmas) held her...she's also my 3rd so maybe I felt a little less stressed than I would've with my first?
    I think for you, if you want her there with you go for it, you can always duck into the hall if you need to feed her, or sit in the back? Who knows, if you feed her right before and with a 20minute carseat ride maybe you'll get lucky and she'll sleep right through? Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks everyone!
    I think I'll ask the bride and the. Go from there
  • I would take her unless DH just really wanted to come, too. I don't really get the 'stealing the attention' thing... It's a baby that needs to be fed! The shower is for a grown woman. If someone had come to my shower with a baby, I would have thought nothing of it.

BabyFetus Ticker

• I agree with @katykatykaty‌ I can't see anyone thinking a baby is stealing attention. But regardless if you want/need a break, leave her at home and have fun! Just keep giving the bottle a shot up until then so your lo gets used to it. Or just take her if you are more comfortable with that!
  • Ask the bride. If she is ok with it I think you should go. Bring a wrap with you.
  • I asked the bride and she requests I bring the babes!
    Prob solved.
    Thank you all for your input!!
    :)
  • bingbongsmamabingbongsmama member
    edited March 2014
    Ask first but I don't see the problem with taking her. She'll likely just sleep most of the time anyway

ETA: just saw your update. That's good :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"