July 2014 Moms

C section rates?

Hi ladies

Just wondering if there is any way to find out c section rates for certain doctors?

Re: C section rates?

• I'm not sure about doctors but there was a link someone posted a couple days ago with all hospitals, listed by state and county that showed c-section rates.
  • https://www.ourrealvillage.com/cesareanlocal

I only tried this site for New York State, but I was able to find stats for my local hospital.
    BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • ShelleybellShelleybell member
    edited March 2014
    this was one of my questions when I first saw my ob's practice as to what their specific rates were.  Ask your doctor and hopefully they will know what the rates for their practice are.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image
  • this was one of my questions when I first saw my ob's practice as to what their specific rates were.  Ask your doctor and hopefully they will know what the rates for their practice are.

I agree. Ask your doctor.
  • You just have to ask.  I've never had a doctor or midwife that wouldn't tell me their approximate c/s rate.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Mine isn't listed *pout*
  • Mine was listed at 37%, down from 37.8% at my previous hospital. Anybody know if this is good or bad? I have no clue where to start, but at least it's slightly better than the hospital I delivered at last time.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• abchittam said:
    Mine was listed at 37%, down from 37.8% at my previous hospital. Anybody know if this is good or bad? I have no clue where to start, but at least it's slightly better than the hospital I delivered at last time.
    It's hard to tell much just from looking at that number out of context.  My hospital has a similar c/s rate, but it also takes most of the high risk cases from the entire region--so it makes sense that would push its c/s rate up.  At the same time, it has a good reputation for supporting natural birth and VBAC, and many of the practices that deliver there have pretty low c/s rates individually.  I think the c/s rate of your specific doctor or midwife is more indicative of the experience you're likely to have than the hospital's rate.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • iris427 said:

abchittam said:

Mine was listed at 37%, down from 37.8% at my previous hospital. Anybody know if this is good or bad? I have no clue where to start, but at least it's slightly better than the hospital I delivered at last time.

It's hard to tell much just from looking at that number out of context.  My hospital has a similar c/s rate, but it also takes most of the high risk cases from the entire region--so it makes sense that would push its c/s rate up.  At the same time, it has a good reputation for supporting natural birth and VBAC, and many of the practices that deliver there have pretty low c/s rates individually.  I think the c/s rate of your specific doctor or midwife is more indicative of the experience you're likely to have than the hospital's rate.

That makes sense. I will have to check into my OB's rates, but she is pretty well-loved around here so I don't think I will need to worry. ;) thanks!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I love that NJ breaks theirs down by

FTM vs. STM
    No labor, induction, and spontaneous labor 

That way you can look at a lot of the factors involved rather than just a flat 40% or whatever it is. 

Also, I found it fascinating (the sociologist in me) that the lowest c-section rates in NJ are at the hospitals located in the poorest towns. 

User Banned You have been banned from posting on the forums until 01-11-2165 8:18 AM. The reason for this ban is Inappropriate Links or Signature. Please return to participate in the forums after the ban has elapsed.
  • TheAnne said:
    Keep in mind that in some cases it isn't just the black and white number.  Some doctors/practices/hospitals cater to more high risk situations and those will have a higher c/s rate because of the nature of the patients and situations (multiples, medical conditions, etc..) 

I wish there was a better way of seeing the facts.  Like, c/s rates for normal, singleton, healthy births w/o complications before the onset of labor.
    Exactly, my hospital has a level 3 NICU and is the only one in the area. I'm sure that affects their c-section rate more than the other hospitals in the area. 

User Banned You have been banned from posting on the forums until 01-11-2165 8:18 AM. The reason for this ban is Inappropriate Links or Signature. Please return to participate in the forums after the ban has elapsed.
  • I'm now interested in specific doctors. I've heard someone loves giving c sections and does them all the time and she'll "find a reason to give me one" by a nurse who has worked with her. I'm just having a difficult time because she's an award winning doctor and patients love her from what I understand. Now I don't mind a Cs if I need one but not if I don't.

I guess this is just a vent, I feel weird asking people what their c section rates are. Maybe I'll get the balls by wednesday
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"