December 2013 Moms

Late at night and I got something on my mind....NBR.

So once again I can't sleep. I have a question rolling in my head....it's odd. But would you be personally offended if you were at a funeral/wake/memorial and guests especially men wore there baseball caps while the service was given? What about attire, jeans and tshirts?

A little background. Today we had my DHs uncles funeral and I feel like 75% of these guests were poorly dreased. I mean wearing stuff you would wear on a Sunday family reunion or a grocery store trip. Here is a list of stuff I saw today.

.Caps being worn
.T shirts with logos
.Old Navy flip flops
.Jeans that were in ill repair
.Hi Top shoes like DC brand and they were neon colored
.Short skirt and it was jean material

So am I lost in the times and these events are no longer formal or is my DHs family ill mannered?

Thanks for any input ladies.

Re: Late at night and I got something on my mind....NBR.

• I agree with you. I think people should dr ess nicely for a memorial.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I have noticed this trend recently and it really bugs me. Even when its the families wish for people to dress casually, I have a hard time doing it. I was brought up to dress up for funerals and to wear dark colors.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image image image

• I was brought up to dress up for funerals and to wear dark colors.

Same here. The casual dress/hats would bug me also!
  • That's extremely disrespectful, to me. I don't think that you necessarily have to wear black. But dark or neutral and something dressier definitely.
  • ballerina10 but sadly his uncle died suddenly and nothing like that was arranged. I just feel like these people couldn't be "bothered" to dress up. Made me sad because I feel like it is a respect thing to the deceased. 

When we as a family were getting ready my 12yr old DD threw a fit about having "dress up" and I explained to her the reasons and why some things she was picking out were inappropriate and then we got there and she saw grown adults dressed similar, I had to take her to the side and explain. I hope the generations coming up behind ours keep this tradition and do not start just "showing up" in any old thing. 

Thanks for your input! :)
  • I agree with others - disrespectful. Not wearing black or dark colors is ok in my mind but at minimum I'd expect men in dockers and a button up shirt and women in a skirt, dress or dressy pants and a blouse or sweater.
    **Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• At my uncles funeral a couple weeks ago people were dressed that way. My eyes just about rolled out of my head. I had my three month old dressed more appropriately than adults had themselves dressed.

People even came walking in ten to fifteen minutes after the service started and then talked loudly thru it. I certainly hope my children dot throw out the respectful ways And just show up places looking and acting a fool.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"