December 2014 Moms
Options

Insomnia Really??

Hello everyone! First Pregnancy here. I am 4w2days now and have been having severe insomnia for the past week.

Seriously as soon as implantation occurred, I have not been able to sleep. Once I do fall asleep, its broken and I wake easily.

It's really becoming a problem. I am a RN and work 12 hour shifts. I can't "save lives" if I am this sleep deprived. I had to call in last week because I had only had 2 hours sleep in 3 days! I keep reading about pregnancy fatigue in the 1st trimester and being an early s/sx of pregnancy. When is that going to kick in!

Has anyone had a similar experience in past or present pregnancies?? If so how long did it last? Was there anything that helped you fall asleep? Are there safe meds that can help??

All and Any advise would be most helpful!

May your hands always be busy
May your feet always be swift
May you have a strong foundation
When the winds of changes shift

May your heart always be joyful
May your song always be sung
And may you stay forever young  " 

Me 35, DH 37

DX with PCOS in early 20's. IF d/t PCOS, anovulation, endometriosis, Dermoid cyst in/on Left ovary

TTC for 3 years. (2/2011), Last 16 months (2/2013) with chemical ART; Lap HSG with D&C 11/2012, Repeat HSG 2/2013 

Clomid, Follisim, HCG Triggers, Progesterone, Metformin

IUI x2 = BFN

3/16/14 IUI #3  BFP!

3/28/14 BFP!!!!!!!, EDD 12/6/14, Nonviable pregnancy 4/9/14, 5w4d; CP natural mc at 7w6d

4/25/14 Bye bye little one

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath - Personal picture

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Insomnia Really??

• Options
    I am always tired but have trouble falling asleep. I don't understand it but I'm beyond tired of it haha
    May Siggy Challenge = Linda Belcher!! Hands down, my favorite TV mom!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I'm having the same problem! Except, I'm exhausted all day, but then I wake up all hours of the night. I can't seem to stay asleep...

Me (32) + DH (31)
    DS = 12/2/2014
    Started TTC #2 = 7/2019

BabyFetus Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm right there with you.  4w5d and last night between cramping, gas, and the minion's (our nickname for Baby B I think) own hilarious idea that I need to be up at midnight, 1am, and 4am, I'm probably running on 5-6 hours of sleep.  Oh, and the fact that this past weekend when I can normally sleep in I was up and ready to go between 7 and 8am both days!  Right after implantation I slept 14 hours.  Since then sleep has been crap :/  At least I know I'm not the only one.
  • Options

So sorry guys. Glad to hear I'm not alone I this battle!

Good luck and a H&H 9 to all!

Me 35, DH 37

DX with PCOS in early 20's. IF d/t PCOS, anovulation, endometriosis, Dermoid cyst in/on Left ovary

TTC for 3 years. (2/2011), Last 16 months (2/2013) with chemical ART; Lap HSG with D&C 11/2012, Repeat HSG 2/2013 

IUI x2 = BFN

3/16/14 IUI #3  BFP!

3/28/14 BFP!!!!!!!, EDD 12/6/14, Nonviable pregnancy 4/9/14, 5w4d; CP natural mc at 7w6d

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath - Personal picture

• Options
    I have been having the same problem.  I assumed it was because I was so excited about the great news!
    BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Oh man do I have this problem too. I'm 4weeks 2 days, and a 12 hour RN and since I found out I was pregnant I haven't been able to sleep at all... I toss and turn, last night I was able to fall asleep a bit easier but woke up every 2 hours. I'm tired during the day but when it comes to actually sleeping I get a second wind. I used to take zzzquil before I found out to help make the transition easier between day and night shifts, but I'm nervous to take it now. I've read that Tylenol PM is ok'd by doctors, but I won't be able to go in for my first appt for another 3 weeks. If you find something that works for you please let me know! Good luck catching some zzz's! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I'm going to my GP today. Hopefully I can get some tips for sleeping. I finally fell asleep around 0345 in the morning. It was nice to get some sleep but doesn't help much when I go back to work and have to be awake at 0500!

Good luck everyone!

Me 35, DH 37

IUI x2 = BFN

3/16/14 IUI #3  BFP!

• Options
    @nola219‌ let us know of you your GP tells you anything useful!!
    May Siggy Challenge = Linda Belcher!! Hands down, my favorite TV mom!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Sorry to say nothing useful. GP is a very nice man, but a little out of touch. He said my insomnia and anxiety are caused by a lack of a spiritual component in my life and that I need to hand things over to God and focus on a higher meaning in my life.

So no nothing useful :(

Me 35, DH 37

IUI x2 = BFN

3/16/14 IUI #3  BFP!

• Options
    2JEL2JEL member
    @Nola219 if you want you can tell your Dr. that I'm pretty "spiritual" and have recently come to have greater trust in God's plan for my life yet I still took 3 or 4 hours to fall asleep last night and, as someone who has never been a morning person, I now can't sleep past 8am to save my life. :p

As someone who has had insomnia much of my life, I've collected the following pregnancy-safe tips:
    (1) get as bright of sunlight as you can before waking/before noon to try to set your internal clock
    (2) put all electronic devices (phones, computers, TVs) away an hour before trying to sleep-- if you absolutely can't do this, set devices to dimmer mode
    (3) dim lights 30m before sleep if possible
    (4) do some gentle stretching or deep breathing to unwind before/as getting in bed
    (5) have a set and relaxing bed time routine/ritual that tells your brain it's time to wind down... one of my friends reads a favorite book over and over again so she's not as tempted to read ahead/get caught up in it, other people do gratitude journals or prayer/devotionals, etc.  I often read a magazine because I find it easier to stop as I get sleepy.

I've never actually tried this but I've always wanted to download a physics/engineering lecture and play it on my iphone because focusing on anything difficult/technical typically knocks me out at night.

"And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." 
    2 Corinthians 12:9

• Options
    @2JEL Thanks! I love the last bit! My DH is an IT (computer guy) and if he starts on about work and tech specs, my mind travels to a tropical island. Unfurtunately when his head hits the pillow he is out. Maybe I'll tape him!

Me 35, DH 37

IUI x2 = BFN

3/16/14 IUI #3  BFP!

• Options
    2JEL2JEL member
    @Nola219-- I love it!  My DH and I are both lawyers but he is an engineer by training and LOVES to get into technical details and I generally space.  I'm so looking forward to telling him "sorry, I was on a tropical island" in the future, which is a bit nicer than "I tried to listen, it was just so boring..." ;)

Ask your DH to read to you tonight before he hits the pillow. ;)

"And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." 

• Options
    I think it only appropriate to answer this at 2a.m. since I have also started having trouble sleeping the last few days. I'm 4w6d and the main culprit seems to be my cramps. It's hard to find a good position. It doesn't help that I'm getting up multiple times a night to visit the bathroom. Everytime that happens I have to struggle to get back to sleep. Add onto that having a lot on my mind since getting the BFP. DH was also having some sleep issues as well, but seems to be doing well tonight.

***BFP and Loss Mentioned in Siggy***

Me: 39 (PCOS)
    DH: 47 (slightly low volume...considered MFI)
    TTC since 11/2012
    10/2013:  IUI#1 BFN - 50mg clomid, two .75mg shots of Bravelle, ovidril trigger...1 follicle
    11/14/13: IUI#2 BFN - 50mg clomid, two .75 mg shots of Bravelle, ovidrill trigger..2 follicles

IVF #1 w/ICSI:  ER 3/12/14; ET 3/17/14:  BFP!!!  Beta #1 3/31/14=1540;  Beta #2 4/2/14 =2551

Twin A became an angel on 4/30/14 (8w6d)

Twin B became an angel on 5/21/14 (11w6d)

D&C 5/23/14

FET#1 - 9/2/14 - BFP!!! Beta #1 (9/15): 926.  Beta #2 (9/17): 1946.

MC -9/20/14
    FET#2 - 4/20/15 - BFP!!! Beta #1 (5/4): 1277.  Beta #2 (5/6): 2817.  US#5 -153 heartbeat.
    Due Date: January 6, 2016
  • Options

Congrats @amyelise25!! Our EDD are only 3 days apart. Notice I'm replying at 0212!. I definitely think that the anxiety, good and bad over being a FTM. For example I see your first beta was 1540, mine was only 29! That scares me that this may be a molar, ectopic or chemical pregnancy.

Even thought I know a beta of 29 at 3w6d is normal, I can't help but freak myself out. On the plus side you may have 2 buns in your oven :)

I find myself reaching for the computer or pregnancy bible each night for any insight and comfort for my fears. My next beta is Wednesday. I hope it is significantly higher to help my fears.

Persistent fear number one. My boobs are not tender, not even period tender nor have my nips darkened. I keep reading sore boobs are one of the earliest s/sx of pregnancy. So OF COURSE in my anxiety riddled mind this means I'm not really pregnant. Now I want to POAS!

As cray cray as I sound now, I'm actually doing a little better :)

Me 35, DH 37

IUI x2 = BFN

3/16/14 IUI #3  BFP!

• Options
    I have it too. I'm usually a great sleeper! But ever since I got a pregnant, I've been sleeping only a few hrs. I do get tired during the day. A lot. With my first pregnancy, I pretty much slept through the first few mos.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Oh me too! I didn't know if it was pregnancy related, but I have been consistently sleeping from 10pm-3am regardless of how tired I actually feel. Weird.
  • Options
    nola219 said:

Persistent fear number one. My boobs are not tender, not even period tender nor have my nips darkened. I keep reading sore boobs are one of the earliest s/sx of pregnancy. So OF COURSE in my anxiety riddled mind this means I'm not really pregnant. Now I want to POAS!

I'm at 4w6d and just started with tender boobs sunday so don't get all down on yourself.  We all react differently!
  • Options
    Right there with you. Mine is more mentally based though, I think. Ever since I found out, I just lay there thinking, "Crap, there's a baby in me. I'm gonna get fat again. Everything's going to change. I need to make a list of all the things I planned on doing in the next three years and do them tomorrow. This is real. This is happening." You know, typical pregnancy panic stuff. ;)
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    longcat07longcat07 member
    edited April 2014

nola219 said:

Sorry to say nothing useful. GP is a very nice man, but a little out of touch. He said my insomnia and anxiety are caused by a lack of a spiritual component in my life and that I need to hand things over to God and focus on a higher meaning in my life.

So no nothing useful :(

i hope your practice you go to has an official religious affiliation.  if my GP told me this, i would have told him that the presence of a "spiritual component" (or lack thereof) in my life is none of his fucking business, then found someone else to be my GP if he still preferred to press spiritual counselling over doing his fucking job.

edited for grammar derp
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    photo gum-chewers.gif
    BFP#1 EDD 04.20.2010, SUNSHINE baby boy born 03.31.2010
    BFP#2 EDD 12.07.2014, natural mc 04.09.2014 at 5w3d
    BFP#3 EDD 01.14.15, RAINBOW baby girl born 01.16.2015

photo quad_zps6309d559.jpg  image   

Lilypie First Birthday tickers  Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    jan'15 january siggy challenge: baby fails
  • Options
    maybe that seems harsh, but how i feel or don't feel about god is not up for discussion in the doctor's office, and it's pretty unprofessional for a doctor to bring that crap up uninvited.  i could understand it if it was a religiously-affiliated practice though.
    photo gum-chewers.gif

• Options
    I'm not tired at all during the day, which I'm kind of worried about.  But I am in bed by 9 and fast asleep by 930.  I do wake up during the night to use the restroom and I have trouble falling asleep.  This never happened to me before!
    RPL Panel, CD 3 BW, Karyotype, SIS all normal, We have a PLAN!
    Romans 8:18-For I consider the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.

• Options
    MC522MC522 member
    Yep im having it too! Couldnt fall asleep until like 1am this morning. So tired now.
    Baby #4 on the way!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    longcat07 said:
    maybe that seems harsh, but how i feel or don't feel about god is not up for discussion in the doctor's office, and it's pretty unprofessional for a doctor to bring that crap up uninvited.  i could understand it if it was a religiously-affiliated practice though.

Hey, I agree with you. He does have a Christian Affiliated practice. However people here in the bible belt forget that Southern Baptist is not the only religion out there. I was raised Catholic, but we were not taught to force our beliefs on others. They call it "witnessing" I call it harassment. He is a good Doctor, however as years have gone by, the religious aspect of his personality has taken over.

What bothers me more, especially as a psych nurse, is his complete misunderstanding of mental illness as something that can just be fixed by praying on it. He's a medical professional, he should know that depression is not a choice, just like no one chooses to have cancer.

Upside, to an extent my insomnia has improved. I'm not up worrying all night, however I did get up to pee 5x last night!! So much for sleep!

Me 35, DH 37

IUI x2 = BFN

3/16/14 IUI #3  BFP!

• Options

nola219 said:
    What bothers me more, especially as a psych nurse, is his complete misunderstanding of mental illness as something that can just be fixed by praying on it. He's a medical professional, he should know that depression is not a choice, just like no one chooses to have cancer.

Upside, to an extent my insomnia has improved. I'm not up worrying all night, however I did get up to pee 5x last night!! So much for sleep!

that crossed my mind too.  it's more than a little disturbing.

i'm glad you're feeling a little better.  i had a bit of poor quality sleep (waking frequently, having trouble getting back to sleep although laying down initially i was usually out like a light) before AF was actually late, but the last couple days, i've seen a lot of improvement there.  i hope your sleep continues to improve.
    photo gum-chewers.gif

• Options

Hey I am there with you all! I am waking at all sorts of hours and wide awake! Sooooo tired right now!

I have to be honest though this is my first baby and after 8 years of TTC (classed as unexplained) I will take on every symptom going and relish in it.

Congratulations to all you mothers to be :)

• Options
    My first pregnancy I woke up at two hour intervals all night long. Last time I would wake up around 5 am after broken sleep and just be up. This time I'm doing the same thing. I hate it! I'm averaging about 5 hours of sleep a night and it's miserable for me. I'm so exhausted.
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13
  • Options
    2JEL2JEL member
    My insomnia has gotten a bit better 1/2 way through week 4 as well.  Still waking earlier than usual though, DH appears to have implanted a morning baby that is re-wiring my circadian rhythm... not sure I'm looking forward to 3-18 years of having an early riser. ;)

• Options
    Same boat! 5 weeks 4 days and I feel exhausted all day like my eyes are unable to stay open yet when bed time comes my brain will not shut off. I may get 3 to 4 hrs of sleep a night
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"