August 2014 Moms

Amazon registry?

Sorry if this has already been discussed... the search feature isn't working right for some reason.
Trying to decide where to register and leaning toward Amazon (vs BBB or BRU). Wondering if anyone has done an Amazon registry and, if so, did you like it?
My main concerns: Returns (is it a pain? credit goes to you, not buyer, right?), shipping (can buyer choose to send to themselves or directly to us?), and people possibly wanting to go to a physical store to shop. Thoughts and/or experiences??

Re: Amazon registry?

• We aren't doing an actual Amazon registry but will be doing a generic myregistry.com with a bunch of Amazon items (and other sites as well). This is in addition to a BBB registry as well for those who want to buy from a store.

• njnagem said:

How do I return a gift purchased from a third-party seller?
    • For orders placed with a third-party seller, customer service (including returns) is handled by that seller and you must contact your gift giver to initiate the return. Please note, at this time, only the person who ordered the item can be refunded by third party sellers.
    This part is very good to know, thanks!  I'm going to be checking my registry to see which sellers are used & will probably try to find the item somewhere else (Target, BRU) if it's a third-party.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I will be using Amazon, as well as a brick and mortar store for people that want to shop in person. We used Amazon for our wedding registry and it was great. We had only 2 items that were damaged in shipping, and Amazon paid return shipping for both of them, and also shipped replacement items before they received the damaged items back. One item was a large fire pit, so I don't think size is a  limiting factor in their policy. We had excellent customer service for everything (although I've heard that third-party sellers through Amazon can be hit or miss). 

Returns get credited to you as opposed to the seller, and shipping can be directly to you or to the purchaser. 

Amazon also has a "universal registry" button so you can add items from other websites. I added a fair amount of Etsy items to our wedding registry, as well as items from a few other random places. 

Finally, their registry guides are really comprehensive, which I appreciate. There are also a ton of product reviews which makes research easier. 

first pregnancy
    due August 20, 2014
    (my blog about bikes, growing things, home remodeling 
    and other random life stuff)

• I had no issues with my Amazon registry for DD. It was by far my favorite registry (I had registered at Amazon and BRU, then added a small Target registry when DH told me there was no BRU near his parents' house).
  • I think I read return shipping is free if you are an Amazon Prime member, but of course the item has to be purchased through Amazon as mentioned in PP and not a 3rd party. 

I would recommend putting a message on your registery that shipping is available.  That way you can register at BRU, BBB or favorite local store and if you don't want/need the item, you can return it locally w/o having to worry about paying to ship it back.  Most stores will even ship to you even when the purchaser is not in the US as long as the customer calls the store directly.  I think they usually make them purchase a gift card for the amount of the purchase and then use the gift card to complete the transaction.   The only benefit for registering at Amazon is you have access to larger variety, however shipping is usually not free unless the person buying the item is an Amazon Prime member.  I like to go with the stores that offer free shipping that way no one is paying an extra $10-$20 to ship something when that money could have been applied to the gift.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"