October 2014 Moms

If you had/are having Materniti21 or Panorama and NT scan..

Eastie156Eastie156 member
edited March 2014 in October 2014 Moms
I was told I didn't need the NT scan if having Panorama done because it tests for the same thing. If you are having both, what are your reasons ? I'm wondering if I've been told the wrong information (by the nurse in the OB's office) Edit: I thought the NT (nuchal translucency) was to measure the baby's neck, which is a Down syndrome indicator.

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

Re: If you had/are having Materniti21 or Panorama and NT scan..

• The results for Down Syndrome on those tests are around 99% accurate. The NT scan is less accurate than that, at least according to what I've been told.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Eastie156Eastie156 member
    edited March 2014
    Right, so then why the need for the NT scan? I didn't have panorama the first time around, because I wasn't AMA, but I had the NT scan. I believe it's 95% accurate. I am having Panorama this time- and sure I don't mind more pics of the bean, but why both ? I just want to be sure I'm not missing something.

• Loading the player...
  • Eastie156 said:

Right, so then why the need for the NT scan? I didn't have panorama the first time around, because I wasn't AMA. I am now-sure I don't mind more pics of the bean, but why both ?

Thanks for asking this...I keep trying to research it out of pure curiosity (I didn't have the advanced blood tests done) but I can't seem to wrap my head around it.

My midwife offers the quad screen but not the NT scan, but I chose to do the NT scan at another office. She said they'd still do the quad screen, but the geneticist at the other office said to only do a portion of the quad because the quad results would muddle the NT results. Other sources seem to say that all results (blood tests, first tri tests, quad screen) could be combined to get a higher accuracy. If someone could explain this, I'd be eternally grateful!

n Chart</a>"http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Charww.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Chart</a>

BabyFruit Ticker

• That's odd. My midwife told me to do one or the other and explained the panorama is more accurate and if I got that I don't need the NT. If something came back on the NT I would then do the panorama. The only reason I choose the NT is bc its 100% covered by my insurance and the panorama is not and I have to pay $200 out of pocket.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think the doctors are just used to doing the NT scan and recommend it as a matter of standard procedure. I was excited to do Panorama for the accuracy and the NT scan for the extra look at the fetus.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • MrsL2B said:

I think the doctors are just used to doing the NT scan and recommend it as a matter of standard procedure. I was excited to do Panorama for the accuracy and the NT scan for the extra look at the fetus.

This. But my doctor said he recommends both because the u/s can also look for other defects, not just the NT test.. I took the blood test last week and will have my u/s this Tuesday! Can't wait to find out the blood results and gender in a few days :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • MrsL2B said:
    I think the doctors are just used to doing the NT scan and recommend it as a matter of standard procedure. I was excited to do Panorama for the accuracy and the NT scan for the extra look at the fetus.
    ^^ This.  My doctor said that they like to have both the blood and the pictures to compare.  I hear the other PP in that it doesn't make complete sense, but I assume its more a procedural thing for them.  And I too can't hate on more pics of the nugget 
    :x

Native NYC-ers living in Switzerland - First time parents - 36 + 37

TTC: 8 Months / BFP: 2/8/2014 / EDD: 10/20/2014  

BabyFruit Ticker

• archi35 said:
    MrsL2B said:
    ^^ This.  My doctor said that they like to have both the blood and the pictures to compare.  I hear the other PP in that it doesn't make complete sense, but I assume its more a procedural thing for them.  And I too can't hate on more pics of the nugget 
    This is interesting, I hadn't heard this.

• kristi104 said:
    This. But my doctor said he recommends both because the u/s can also look for other defects, not just the NT test.. I took the blood test last week and will have my u/s this Tuesday! Can't wait to find out the blood results and gender in a few days :)
    Will your insurance cover the NT scan if it's covering part of the Materniti21 or Panorama? I know out of pocket, after insurance, Panorama will cost us a max of $195. But then, will the NT scan still be covered as normal? I guess this is probably an insurance question-but it took me two weeks and a lot of frustration just to find out Panorama would cost us $195. I'm afraid to call back about the NT! I assume one is unrelated to the other, though and they'd still cover the NT scan.

• Eastie156 said:
    archi35 said:
    MrsL2B said:
    This is interesting, I hadn't heard this.

Well but I took that with a garin of salt because 1) Its a different country and 2) It doesn't make complete sense to me.  That's why I just chalked it up to maybe that since they have always done the NT so to add in the blood test is one thing but they won't stop the NT; a procedural thing. 

Native NYC-ers living in Switzerland - First time parents - 36 + 37

TTC: 8 Months / BFP: 2/8/2014 / EDD: 10/20/2014  

BabyFruit Ticker

• I am also having both done. I had the panorama a couple weeks ago though and it didn't work. My dr. said they didn't have enough of the babies chromosomes to get a good reading. I was totally disappointed and scared that something could be wrong! He assumed me its just bc its a new test so I am retesting tomorrow but also getting the NT scan tomorrow. I figure its an ultrasound so good to take a look! 
  • I had both. We had a couple scares in early pregnancy so the extra US wasnt a biggie and the panorama is really comprehensive so that was an easy choice for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"