May 2014 Moms

hospital outfit

With my first daughter I was super uncomfortable with the clothes I had for the hospital, AND I didn't bring enough. I had little night gowns with a shorter robe to go over them. I felt very exposed and wasn't expecting the crazy jiggles of my body after birth lol. I also had yoga pants and sweat shirts, and again, not flattering.

What are you going to wear? I bought two new t-shirt night gowns, but I'm thinking they won't be good for nursing since I'll have to pull them up instead of down...

Suggestions on where to look online to order something?

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: hospital outfit

• I bought stretchy, comfortable pajamas that unbutton at the top and a robe, in dark colors to camouflage the gigantic pad I'll be wearing and so I don't have to be as nervous about leaks from the pad when I have visitors. I bought them at Kohls. Last time I just wore the robe/gown thing that the hospital gave me but visitors thought that ugly thing was mine and I didn't like that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have no experience yet since I'm a FTM, but I've spoken to a lot of people. First I do not plan on wearing pants until I leave. My SIL said it was the best decision she made. I have also purchased button down flannel PJ sets from Victorias Secret. I think I will wear those for tops with a nursing tank underneathe. They are loose and comfortable. As far as what I'm wearing going home, I still have no clue, but I do know it will be baggy

I hope this helps.
    BabyName Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I stayed in the hospital gown last time (I was also confined to the bed until 30 hours post delivery so it wasn't totally by choice). I have a couple nursing nightgowns this time. No pants IMO, they come to check on your vag too often to make pants worth it.
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• The first 24 hours, probably what they provide.

Beyond that, probably yoga pants and nursing tops.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• I agree with the button down Jammie's but with a c section last time I really didn't want to wear pants. This time I have bought a few different maxi dresses with either a cardigan or little sweater. Where they are really stretchy at the top awesome for nursing, a dress so no worries about restrictions and where they are longer I won't be uncomfortable walking around feeling like I'm hanging out everywhere. Also, last time when I wore night gowns and such I had randomly packed my belly bands and I will be doing the same this time as it wore them to apply pressure to my incision and kinda "hold things together" if that makes sense. Regardless what you pack you're not there to make a fashion statement so just pack anything soft and you'll be comfy in.
  • I just wore my hospital gown the whole time. DD was born at 10 AM. The next morning I put pants on with my hospital gown because we had visitors and I was up moving around. We left that afternoon (a day early) though, so if I had stayed longer I might have wanted regular clothes. This time, I am bringing a couple pairs of comfy tops and yoga pants so I can get dressed if I feel like it.

• krlovell said:

I agree with the button down Jammie's but with a c section last time I really didn't want to wear pants. This time I have bought a few different maxi dresses with either a cardigan or little sweater. Where they are really stretchy at the top awesome for nursing, a dress so no worries about restrictions and where they are longer I won't be uncomfortable walking around feeling like I'm hanging out everywhere. Also, last time when I wore night gowns and such I had randomly packed my belly bands and I will be doing the same this time as it wore them to apply pressure to my incision and kinda "hold things together" if that makes sense. Regardless what you pack you're not there to make a fashion statement so just pack anything soft and you'll be comfy in.

Good point about pants and c section. I had a vaginal delivery last time but it's looking like a probable c section this time... So maybe I should buy a nightgown.

• I had a c-section with DD. I was ready to change out of the awful hospital gown by that afternoon/evening. I bought a roomy cotton nightgown that I could unbutton at the top to nurse. I wore that at first, then wore the cotton/stretchy nursing 3-piece PJ sets from the motherhood outlet with PJ pants, nursing tank, and matching bathrobe. I bought XL instead of L so the pants wouldn't be tight at all. They didn't bother my incision. I wore a loose cotton empire waist dress home with leggings. I'm planning to do the same this time around.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I prefer a nightgown to pants. It makes it easier for doctors and nurses to check on you. I also find a nightgown more comfortable with a c-section.
  • I bought an old lady zip up robe on clearance from a department store to wear over hospital gowns. If it gets destroyed with stains it can go straight in the garbage. Going home I plan to wear my favourite leggings (they're maternity so probably will be comfy enough) and a longer top.
  • I packed sweats and a nursing tank, but I also a robe to throw right over the hospital gown in case I want to do that.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I thought the gowns felt so heavy on my sore boobs last time. I plan to pick up a few cheap dark colored nightgown/shirts and bring a few nursing tanks/yoga pants.

little chkn born 06/30/11

baby chkn born 04/22/14

05/13 image 07/13

• yoga pants and tanks, jammies and tanks.  I feel like there is no real way to be super comfy.  I'm not buying special clothes to bring with me. 
    Asher Benjamin and Lola Aisling

Infertility
    PCOS, Progesterone Deficiency Disorder, Multiple Miscarriage
    Clomid, Metformin, Ovadril, PIO, P17 Iron/Platlet Tranfusion

My Spring Babies! 
    <3 Angel Baby   Elisabeth Adelle  April 2008 <3
    Asher Benjamin  April 2010
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
  • I wore the hospital gown with a zip up hoodie sweatshirt for the the first 24 hrs.  After I was more confident I wasn't going to bleed all over, I put on yoga pants and a tank with same sweatshirt.  I just wore the hospital gown for sleeping, I felt no need to bring my own pajamas.  The next day I wore a maxi dress home.

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• I've bought some cheap, dark pjs with button up tank tops. I've got some capri style bottoms and longer ones, because i don't know how warm it'll be. I also have a dark brown, shorter robe that comes just under my butt. 

TBH i'm not bothered about "flattering". I'll have just had a baby, so flattering clothes will be the last thing on my mind. For going home i'm just taking my black maternity jeans (super comfy) and probably a nursing tank with a flannel shirt. It's what i wear most days now anyway. 

09/23/11 - Married DH

04/01/13 - BFP at 4wks

05/30/13 - MMC - BO @ 12wks 5d

08/29/13 - BFP @ 4wks 4d

09/17/13 - 7wks 2d - Normal HB Detected! Baby measuring perfect for dates and positioning!  

10/23/13 - 12wks 3d - Perfect NT scan! HB 167 & baby wriggling, waving & yawning!

12/17/13 - 20wks 2 d - We're having a beautiful baby girl! Go Team Pink!

05/03/14 - Bobbie Gloria was born at 39+6 weighing 6lb 14oz!

• I'm packing lots of loose fit clothing. Yoga pants and pajama pants. Tanks. I saw some maternity sweats at baby depot that I think I'm going to buy to wear to the hospital

It's a BOY

• Im bringing a knee length nursing night gown with a light robe to go over it that I got at Kohls, and a pair of yoga pants with a nursing tank. To go home I got a sweat suit with capri bottoms and a t shirt in womans large from Target.
  • Last time, I just wore the hospital gown. This time I plan on wearing stretchy pajama pants, nursing cami, and cardigan. Hoping I will be GBS-free so I'm not stuck at the hospital for longer than normal and need more clothes than a day worth.

T 2.12 | W 5.14

• I'm wearing comfy t-shirts and yoga pants. I jiggle anyway, and to heck with anybody who notices. There's no shame in my game, yo.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• I wore the ugly hospital gown.  I didn't care one bit how I looked - I was way too excited/exhausted to give a crap that I looked like the big bad wolf in Grandma's nightgown.  Yes it was ugly.  But there was no way I was going to spend money on something to wear at the hospital.  And I only packed one outfit to come home in - the most comfy pants and shirt I had at the time.  No fashion show here.  :)

This time around I plan to do the same thing.  I wonder if the hideous gowns will be any different - probably not. lol  But I think I may bring a light robe to wear over the top for walks down the halls, etc.  Otherwise, the less I have to pack the better.  :)
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I bought a long button down nightgown at target in xl i was a small prepreg and this fits over my bump perfectly . kinda looks like an oversized mens button down. 15 bucks vs a maternity set for 40
  • JAM85JAM85 member
    edited March 2014
    I plan on wearing what I normally find comfy which is my (maternity) yoga pants and leggings and a nursing tank with some loose athleta thin pull on tops. I am also planning to labor in a "labor skirt" I'm making and a sports bra if all goes to plan as the hospital gown seriously bugs the ever loving crap out of me.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I should specify that when I said"flattering" I definitely did not mean "to look good". Haha. Last time I brought the tanks that I wore throughout the pregnancy, which were cute and form fitting over my bump. They were not so cute when they were form fitting over my gigantic, flat, flabby belly lol. I felt like Tim Allen in that Santa Claus movie when he had the giant flap (though I'm sure mine wasn't that bad). My friend had a nice, round"pregnant looking" belly after birth, so maybe I'm just abnormal. Mine was immediately like a giant deflated balloon.

I may just bring DH's clothes this time!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Last time I brought pj's and sweatpants and a couple tshirts. I ended up wearing the hospital gowns and hospital pants the entire time. I put on my pj on days 3-4 when friends came to visit but once they left I went back to hospital gowns (wear one facing the front, one facing the back so you're not exposing yourself). Anyways I spent most of the time in the hospital doing skin to skin with DD, so I was mostly topless with a hospital gown around my shoulders like a robe.
  • I wore a lounge wear type sweat set that had a zipper top. Underneath I just used a nursing tank top. It worked well so I will probably do that again.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • As an FTM I'm not sure what to bring either . I packed two nursing night gowns with a robe, a matching button up pajama top with long pants, and yoga pants with a nursing top. I imagine the first 24hrs I'll be wearing the gown they have at the hospital.
  • I really have no intention of pooping, peeing, bleeding or vomiting on anything I own so I plan on being in a hospital gown from the moment i walk in the door to when i get dressed to leave. If visitors think my clothing choice is anything less than fabulous they can f-off, I will have just pushed a baby out of a fairly small hole or have had it surgically removed. 

Going home I plan on wearing sweat pants and DH oversized zip up hoodie, pretty much exactly what i get changed into every evening when I get home from work. 
  • Last time, I brought a few pairs of my favorite PJ's (the Vera Wang PJ's from Kohl's, super comfy!) and then had yoga pants and t-shirts as well.  I was very comfortable the whole time and since I was a c-section, they don't check you as often so pants weren't an issue.  As far as the pants bothering my incision, it was bandaged with super thick bandages until the last day I was there, that's when they removed the bandages and the staples, they covered the incision with the tape strips, so nothing bothered my incision, but I will say, that I didn't wear anything that tightly laid on that area either.  Packed my bag this past weekend and am bringing the same types of clothing.

• Mittens14 said:

Last time, I brought a few pairs of my favorite PJ's (the Vera Wang PJ's from Kohl's, super comfy!) and then had yoga pants and t-shirts as well.  I was very comfortable the whole time and since I was a c-section, they don't check you as often so pants weren't an issue.  As far as the pants bothering my incision, it was bandaged with super thick bandages until the last day I was there, that's when they removed the bandages and the staples, they covered the incision with the tape strips, so nothing bothered my incision, but I will say, that I didn't wear anything that tightly laid on that area either.  Packed my bag this past weekend and am bringing the same types of clothing.

This is pretty much me too. I have a few sets of nursing PJs, and will bring some yoga pants and tops that work well for nursing. I never had trouble with bleeding on anything with my first two, so I'm going to opt for comfort. Pants also did not bother me with a c-section as long as they were a little loose.

Mommy to three beautiful boys! 
    Benjamin Michael 5/17/10
    Lucas Gabriel 3/26/12
    Graham Jonathan 5/1/14

• Bought a nice big plush robe on sale at Kohls to wear over the hospital gown pre-birth. May switch to a big comfy nightgown afterward (one that either buttons up the front or a nursing one I can pull down).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • #teamhospitalgown here.
    Let them deal with the blood/guts/gore..I have a cheap robe to wear.
    But I am also planning on using their mesh panties and pads too

I bled through every hospital gown they gave me. And since I was bleeding so much I never used my own underwear or pads. The nurses actually gave me some to take home.

This time I will wear the gown again.

Making the decision to have a child - it is momentous. 
    It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. - Elizabeth Stone
  • Jammie pants and a tank top.
  • I'm bringing yoga pants, belly bandit, tank tops, sport underwear, and a robe. My sister wore this with her babies and loved it.

That One Gal From Alaska :)

• Flattering and immediate postpartum clothes are incompatible. Be comfortable.

This. How is flattering the biggest concern post partum? I had baggy sweatpants and a zip up hoodie.

BabyFruit Ticker

• When I was admitted for some PTL contractions they put me in the gown. The gowns at my hospital are super itchy and I feel like if I tried to wear that during labor I'd probably end up just ripping it off and going au natural. I bought a cheap dress made of jersey material for $7 at old navy it has a crossed front so I can slip it down easily and it's super comfy. I'm going to start with that if I get it all gross I'll just toss it. I also am bringing a light robe I can walk around in and a sports bra/ old crappy thigh length jersey skirt if I'm not feeling the dress. I'm not very modest though so if all else fails I'm walking around my room in the buff, sorry nurses!
    BabyName Tickerimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"