August 2013 Moms

Seizures

BlondieBia21BlondieBia21 member
edited April 2014 in August 2013 Moms
On Wednesday, T had 2 mini seizures. I wasn't for sure if they were actual seizures though because they were quick. I just knew that what she was doing wasn't normal. On Thursday, she had 8 total. 6 in 45 minutes then we took her to the ER. She had two while we were there. She hadn't ever had them before. We were in the ER from 5:30pm Thursday- 3:30am Friday. They inserted an IV and drew 6 tubes of blood from her, I've NEVER heard her scream the way she did. They finally admitted us at 3:30am so we could do further testing. She ate around 1AM friday, then couldn't eat/drink until they did the MRI. The MRI started around 12:30 and took about two hours. We then went back up to our room for an EEG. The MRI results were clear which is great news. The EEG results will be in this week. She had one episode yesterday. We finally got to go home around 8:00 last night. She now has to take an anti-seizure med 2x a day, and the doctors are hopeful that she will experience no more seizures with it. We will go back to the neurologist in a month. There is no diagnosis of what is causing them, and there may never be.

I'm writing this to not be an AW, but to just say that you have a mother's intuition and it shouldn't be ignored. Her seizures did not look like seizures in the movies where her body flails. She was sitting and her head just started shaking frantically, like she was saying no, and her eyes would flutter. Or her whole body locks up and just her head would shake up and down. She never was flailing around. The doctor explained that there are different types of seizures that every parent should be aware of, but that most just expect the body to flail and bounce around. She also explained that one third of babies have seizures and a reason is not known. The movements she was making, looked almost like spasms and would last for 15sec-a minute and she never lost consciousness. Her body didn't shake to the floor, in fact she was sitting up during 4 of them and didn't fall. She wasn't responsive during the episodes and it took her about 30sec after each of them to look around and figure out what was going on and then she'd smile. In between episodes, you'd have no idea anything was "wrong" with her. Basically, trust yourself. If something your baby is doing doesn't seem normal to you, trust it and get her/him checked. I debated because I didn't want to be "that parent" who rushed to the ER, but finally I listened to my gut. 

Here is an article on seizures that you can look at. It (obviously) isn't the one my doctor provided us with but I wanted to post it so you could maybe familiarize yourself with the different types and what to look for. 

A'13 June Siggy Contest- TV Dads

Re: Seizures

• RevezRevez member
    Oh my gosh! So scarey! Keep us updated and hopefully she doesn't have any more episodes.

Luckily I have had medical training and know the different types of seizures. It's amazing how subtle one can be.

Good for you for trusting your instincts! You're one amazing momma.

• Thanks for sharing. Must of been scarry for you.. t&p's for your lil one. I will definitely read the article.
  • Loading the player...
  • That's really scary, and I'm glad you followed your intuition!!! T&P for T.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP 3/29/2014 2u2 Let's do this!

BabyFruit Ticker

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif

• Blondie, I really hope this medication works for her. If you need an ear, I'm here for you.
       image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    photo s622_zps5a9557e5.jpg photo 7ed57166-3187-446e-8404-f2ef169fe40f_zps238c4d05.jpg photo s620_zps504f3ce2.jpg
  • Oh my gosh! Prayers for you and T!

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• So sorry to hear about this! It sounds like it was incredibly scary but you are a great mom and did everything you needed to do. I'm glad you listened to your gut and T is doing better. Thoughts and prayers that it doesn't happen anymore.
  • Aww poor baby. I'm so sorry you had to deal with that! How awful. I hope they can figure out what's going on.
  • Oh no. Hope it gets figured out, how scary.
    photo df19160f-bf4d-4b1a-aa18-f922c7344247.jpgphoto 6650edf4-b52e-4beb-a3cd-6bdc9480c61c.jpg
    ~may siggy challenge~

photo IMG_20140501_070346.gif photo IMG_20140501_071323.gif
  • How scary. Hopefully the meds work and she doesn't have anymore!

image imageimage

Always in my heart: BFP 9/6/12 - M/C 9/25/12
  • LEMSALEMSA member
    Hope all is well. Keep on mind gluten 1 deficiency. If the seizures are not controlled by meds--look into this.

It's often a missed diagnosis. 100% controlled by diet--not meds

My friends son was diagnosed with this. Seizures started just after 4 months, took a year before he was diagnosed.

Good luck and I'll be praying for ya!
  • Oh no!! I am so sorry she had to go through all of that. I hope it gets figured out.

She always looks adorable no matter what she is doing. Way to rock the hospital look T.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Oh no!! I am so sorry she had to go through all of that. I hope it gets figured out.

She always looks adorable no matter what she is doing. Way to rock the hospital look T.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Poor Sophie! I hope those seizures stay away. That's scary. >:D<

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• T&P for you and your little girl. Glad she is getting treated! Hope all is figured out quickly
    **July Siggy Challenge**

• Oh my gosh that is so scary. She is lucky she has such a strong mommy to take great care if her & listen to her intuition.
    Please keep us updated & I hope to hear the best news possible from all if this very soon. t&p's for T and that she doesn't go through much more if this.
  • Oh my gosh poor T!!! Hopefully they figure it out and gets better. Please keep us updated.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • You are such a strong mama!! I'm so glad that you allowed your instincts. Thoughts and prayers for T and hopefully this medication will stop the seizures. ((hugs))
    "The cleaning, the scrubbing will wait til tomorrow,
    For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
    So, quiet down cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
    I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep."
  • Oh how scary!prayers for you guys!
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Wow, I can't imagine what that must have been like, poor baby! I hope the meds help and it gets figured out soon!

• I am so so sorry that T is going through this. This makes my heart hurt. I hope that everything from the tests come out normal. Please please keep us posted. Tons and tons of hugs to you Mama.... I am so glad you trusted your gut and took her in. 

• That sounds so scary. Thank you for the info. Your little one will be in my prayers.
  • RK125RK125 member
    Hugs to you and T. I'll keep you in my t&ps. Hope the medicine helps!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• What a terrifying experience!! T's and P's from an internet stranger!

The daughter of a good friend of mine has been dealing with siezures since Christmas. They are unexplained but are finally under control with medication.

Your little girl has the sweetest smile, even in the hospital!

• Thank you everyone! The prayers are needed and VERY appreciated!!
    A'13 June Siggy Contest- TV Dads
  • So scary! She is so adorable. Good job, mama! T&P that she is ok
    BabyFruit Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

VOTE on my Name List
  • I'm so happy you trusted your gut and kept at it until T got the attention and care she needed.

You're a great momma. Praying for you ladies!
    photo crunchy_zps41233998.gifimagephoto crunchy_zps41233998.gif
    My baby is ONE!!

• I am so, so sorry!! Sending all my love your way! T is a trooper!
  • Lots and lots of thoughts and prayers from our family to yours! <3
             image         image
  • That is so scary! I hope the meds bring her relief. She looks like such a little trooper in the hospital photos. She's a strong girl.

:::hugs:::

• How scary for you all! Thank goodness you trusted your instinct. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Hope the doctors get this under control fast!
  • Lots of Ts and Ps! T's very lucky to have such a great momma!

• How scary! Your LO will be in my prayers! xx
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

OaD August siggy challenge- fav show that's off the air:

http://media.giphy.com/media/ZzQxOlqIUfHfG/giphy.gif
  • @BlondieBia21‌ I'm praying for ya!! I have experienced all of this with my LO. He's been on Phenobarb for seizures for 6 months. We have 5 weeks left. Feel free to PM me if you ever need anything. Glad your sweet baby is ok! That hospital stay, MRI, EEG, IV/blood draw, etc., is exhausting and scary to say the least. But know that other mamas are walking this walk with you!
    The Mrs.
  • I'm so sorry! That's so scary. A friend's daughter had seizures as a baby, but they stopped as she grew up. I hope your sweet baby gets better too!

• Poor little girl! I am so sorry you are going through. I will be keeping you all in my thoughts!

12/19/2012 BFP! 
    EDD 08/26/2013 
    Our little girl arrived 8/22/2013!

• So sorry you the going through this! :-( Many prayers to you and your family
  • Keeping you and T in my thoughts. Hugs.
  • Oh blonders! I'll be praying for T! That sounds so scary! I hope that it's not a longtime thing
  • Thinking of you two. So sorry you and T are going thru this. You're doing an amazing job and are a SO strong! T is a beauty.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"