September 2014 Moms

Re: Weekend Randoms

• Loading the player...
  • jortiz780jortiz780 member
    edited March 2014
    Love Fleetwood Mac too. I heard they were going to be near me this year.

My weekend random: I am sitting on my a$$ eating ice cream while hubs is painting the nursery. Jackpot!

*edited because I can't spell

• Mmm peanut butter shake sounds awesome! I must be craving sweets this rainy weekend.

• Peanut butter shake!  Oh my, that sounds awesome.  There used to be a smoothie place near me that had amazing PB smoothies.  Now I want one.

Frantic Saturday here. Finalizing things for Bunny sessions next Saturday!!
    BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • My kid has started telling me, "Not right now. I'm busy" whenever I ask him to do something. I wonder where he heard that from...

It's raining/storming here and has been for the last week. I have so much stuff to do in the next five months but I feel completed unmotivated to get off the couch today.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We took DD to the Ringling Bros circus last night and they were doing these stunts with horses...one of the horses fell and could not get back up for what seemed like an eternity and the girl riding the poor creature got stuck underneath the horse. I was in horror! When they finally got he horse up and the girl out she was clearly hurt and terrified bc she clung to a male performer like she thought she was going to die. Then, they cleared everyone off and another rider came out and was doing even more dangerous things where he fell off and got trampled on badly by the horse. I felt really bad for the animals and I'm pretty sure that will be my last time going. It was pretty upsetting!
  • We took DD to the Ringling Bros circus last night and they were doing these stunts with horses...one of the horses fell and could not get back up for what seemed like an eternity and the girl riding the poor creature got stuck underneath the horse. I was in horror! When they finally got he horse up and the girl out she was clearly hurt and terrified bc she clung to a male performer like she thought she was going to die. Then, they cleared everyone off and another rider came out and was doing even more dangerous things where he fell off and got trampled on badly by the horse. I felt really bad for the animals and I'm pretty sure that will be my last time going. It was pretty upsetting!

How awful! You just convinced me to never go to the circus again.

Worst thing is those horses probably got punished afterwards. We only go to animal free circuses - I like the stunts and acrobatics, but it isn't worth what those poor elephants especially go through.

imageimage

• I saw PETA outside protesting beforehand and I know they're very against it. This was only my second time going and now I see why.
  • Last night was my monthly wine night w friends (mock tails for me and the other pregnant woman) and it was great to have some adult time. We are all moms and get together after bedtime for the kids and it's a great group.

Bonus - dh got up w the girls this morning and I got to sleep in until 8:30!!
    image        image
  • We had the worst thunderstorm roll through thiis morning. I normally hate thunderstorms, but it was nice to just curl in bed, relax and read for a few hours! I haven't done that in so long!
    Finally! My September Siggy Challenge: TV Show I'll Be Binge Watching
    REVENGE!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • wrightpalomowrightpalomo member
    edited March 2014
    @criscbish any chance you're in San Francisco? Hubbs love fish and chips but is also gluten intolerant. 

ETA: letters
  • My husband and his bud drove to Boston for the weekend so I'm alone which is lonely at night but it's nice to go solo sometimes :) . I'm going to go shopping for summer maternity dresses, get a smoothie, probably get some take out for supper and just bask in the quiet glory with the pets!
    ~All are welcome~
    MC 23/01/2013 natural @ 7 Weeks

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • We got 6" of snow last night. I'm hungry but I don't know what I want to eat. My kids have been fighting all weekend.

Dd1 has some developmental delays but so far no diagnosis or idea about what that means for our future. She is in CPSE in our school district and receives services at preschool - speech, OT, SEIT. Today we were coloring and I think I got my first taste of what a fight every school thing will be like with her. I asked her to draw a line. She melted down, said it was too hard and then spent the next 20 mins crying at the table because she couldn't do it and wouldn't even try. Her stubborn perfectionist attitude is infuriating and heart breaking and just makes me dread school for her.
    image        image
  • It's my FI's birthday! I love birthdays! Him and his friends are going to play sloshball so I'm a little jealous but should still have fun watching them :)
  • kmbk27 said:

We celebrated my grandma's 100th birthday today with 170 family members and friends. She is such a special lady.

That is awesome. Happy Birthday to your grandma.

BabyFruit Tickerimage

• I'm irrationally pissed that it's 10:45 and my husband is making pancakes for HIMSELF after the kiddo and I have had breakfast. I'm always the one to make pancakes for the family, but apparently no one makes pancakes for me.  :((

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I saw PETA outside protesting beforehand and I know they're very against it. This was only my second time going and now I see why.

I haven't been to an animal circus in several years and agree that they are awful....especially for elephants who have very delicate feet (something I learned working at the Oakland Zoo which has a wonderful elephant program). The last time I had anything to do with an animal circus was when I was a tech and our doctor did a physical on one of Ringling Bros elephants so they could update her health certificate to cross state lines. And 15 dog dentals....wow, they had bad teeth!! Took two days!!

But I wanted to point out that PETA is a really truly awful terrible organization that many animal lovers mistakenly think is good. As an animal lover I seriously hate them and would be willing to share why and give examples and sources if needed.
  • trombgirl said:
    I saw PETA outside protesting beforehand and I know they're very against it. This was only my second time going and now I see why.
    I haven't been to an animal circus in several years and agree that they are awful....especially for elephants who have very delicate feet (something I learned working at the Oakland Zoo which has a wonderful elephant program). The last time I had anything to do with an animal circus was when I was a tech and our doctor did a physical on one of Ringling Bros elephants so they could update her health certificate to cross state lines. And 15 dog dentals....wow, they had bad teeth!! Took two days!! But I wanted to point out that PETA is a really truly awful terrible organization that many animal lovers mistakenly think is good. As an animal lover I seriously hate them and would be willing to share why and give examples and sources if needed.

I'm with you that PETA does more harm than good. Just about the only thing they do that I like is awareness campaigns. Even in those, I don't like the use of violent imagery. When we give $ to animal charities it's to the no kill shelter that saved our Tink :)

imageimage

• Well, my weekend was very uneventful until DS fell and bit through his lip. We had our first trip to the ER this afternoon and of course it was right at nap time. Thankfully, no stitches and just glue. We also get to go to the dentist to check for teeth damage at some point this week and then he is getting antibiotics as well to prevent an infection. Thank goodness it is now nap time....I need a freaking drink. Apple juice will have to do! Also, of course all this happens when DH is deployed.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• trombgirl said:
    I am not a PETA fan either but would like to know your reasons why.
    I'm mobile so can't go link and quote crazy. Here's one good link with some reasons. 7 Things You Didn't Know About PETA But here are some of my reasons off the top of my head... Ingrid (the founder) wants total animal liberation. No pets. No zoos. Sorry you love your dog. Sorry that (credible) zoos are preserving and bringing back our endangered species from the brink of extinction. Ingrid is a breedist bitch. Anyone here own and love a pitbull? Ingrid would love to see it dead. She was bit once by a pit and now spends donor money supporting breed specific legislation. She wants pits to be unadoptable once they hit a shelter and supports their mandatory fixing...so that one day we won't have to worry about killing them because there just won't be any more. PETA kills way way more animals than they adopt out. Adoptable animals. And yet they have the nerve to protest city animal shelters that do kill, yes, but also adopt out so many animals. PETA funds arsonists and the like that destroy medical research in the name of animal rights. Research that then has to be redone anyway. Research that PETA members benefit from...like second in command (can't remember name now) who is diabetic and uses insulin. Research that even animals benefit from down the line when human medicine branches out into veterinary medicine. PETA is in our schools indoctrinating our kids! Check out peta2.com aimed at kids... I'm totally supportive of my vegan/vegetarian friends but some of PETA's anti meat campaigns are offensive. Holocaust on a plate? Implying all meat esters are obese? I know there's more that I will think of later, but that's a good list to get anyone started. I seriously hate them.
    I wish I could love tit this more...

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • All I've done today is sit on my ass and watch The Walking Dead marathon. oh and stuff my face.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • We moved into a new house on Friday but we had to go back today to our rental to do last minute cleaning.  Can I say how much I hate moving?  
    Anniversary

• We got stuff for me to make protein shakes and peanut butter and banana sandwhiches. I'm a happy lady.

^^^ September Signature: TV series I plan on binge watching with my newborn I do what I want. ^^^

image    image

<3 Gage Douglas 09.04.2014...my sunshine after the rain.

• trombgirl said:
    I'm mobile so can't go link and quote crazy. Here's one good link with some reasons. 7 Things You Didn't Know About PETA But here are some of my reasons off the top of my head... Ingrid (the founder) wants total animal liberation. No pets. No zoos. Sorry you love your dog. Sorry that (credible) zoos are preserving and bringing back our endangered species from the brink of extinction. Ingrid is a breedist bitch. Anyone here own and love a pitbull? Ingrid would love to see it dead. She was bit once by a pit and now spends donor money supporting breed specific legislation. She wants pits to be unadoptable once they hit a shelter and supports their mandatory fixing...so that one day we won't have to worry about killing them because there just won't be any more. PETA kills way way more animals than they adopt out. Adoptable animals. And yet they have the nerve to protest city animal shelters that do kill, yes, but also adopt out so many animals. PETA funds arsonists and the like that destroy medical research in the name of animal rights. Research that then has to be redone anyway. Research that PETA members benefit from...like second in command (can't remember name now) who is diabetic and uses insulin. Research that even animals benefit from down the line when human medicine branches out into veterinary medicine. PETA is in our schools indoctrinating our kids! Check out peta2.com aimed at kids... I'm totally supportive of my vegan/vegetarian friends but some of PETA's anti meat campaigns are offensive. Holocaust on a plate? Implying all meat esters are obese? I know there's more that I will think of later, but that's a good list to get anyone started. I seriously hate them.
    Wow. I knew I didn't like PETA before, but this is really eye-opening. Thanks for posting. Maybe it is just the pregnancy hormones, but these fact made me ANGRY!  We adopted our cat from a no-kill shelter, which I would support any day. I think no-kill shelters are amazing, and need the funding.

There are a lot of places that are really terrible to animals. I give credit to people who take personal steps to improve what they can. I cannot personally go vegan or vegetarian, but I respect people who have made those changes in their lives. As soon as I get a house (renting a small apartment currently so this isn't an option) DH and I plan on raising our own chickens and possibly goats so we will know that whatever meat we are eating has been treated well and cared for while alive. We will also only adopt animals from shelters, never go to private breeders, because these are little things we can do to make a small difference. 

Radical groups like PETA do more harm than good... 

~*~
    Together since 03/27/2007
    Married 07/20/2013

BFP #1 01/18/2014, EDD 09/26/2014, Team Green
    DD born 09/21/2014

image image 
  • trombgirl said:

I'm mobile so can't go link and quote crazy.

Here's one good link with some reasons.
    7 Things You Didn't Know About PETA

But here are some of my reasons off the top of my head...

Ingrid (the founder) wants total animal liberation. No pets. No zoos. Sorry you love your dog. Sorry that (credible) zoos are preserving and bringing back our endangered species from the brink of extinction.

Ingrid is a breedist bitch. Anyone here own and love a pitbull? Ingrid would love to see it dead. She was bit once by a pit and now spends donor money supporting breed specific legislation. She wants pits to be unadoptable once they hit a shelter and supports their mandatory fixing...so that one day we won't have to worry about killing them because there just won't be any more.

PETA kills way way more animals than they adopt out. Adoptable animals. And yet they have the nerve to protest city animal shelters that do kill, yes, but also adopt out so many animals.

PETA funds arsonists and the like that destroy medical research in the name of animal rights. Research that then has to be redone anyway. Research that PETA members benefit from...like second in command (can't remember name now) who is diabetic and uses insulin. Research that even animals benefit from down the line when human medicine branches out into veterinary medicine.

PETA is in our schools indoctrinating our kids! Check out peta2.com aimed at kids...

I'm totally supportive of my vegan/vegetarian friends but some of PETA's anti meat campaigns are offensive. Holocaust on a plate? Implying all meat esters are obese?

I know there's more that I will think of later, but that's a good list to get anyone started. I seriously hate them.
    That's horrible. I have a pit bull and he is the sweetest thing. I can't believe an animal rights group would be against an animal.

Thanks for sharing this. I had no idea.
  • Both my girls were shelter rescues (one passed away last year). I really get so annoyed when someone buys from a breeder. So many dogs need homes but some want a "purebread," which is more important to them than saving a perfectly great animal. I get wanting certain types of breeds but all breeds are in shelters. I wish more people would give up having that status purebred "paper" and adopt an animal who otherwise may never know love and life.
    I love this, couldn't have said it better myself! 

~*~
    Together since 03/27/2007
    Married 07/20/2013

BFP #1 01/18/2014, EDD 09/26/2014, Team Green
    DD born 09/21/2014

image image 
  • My MIL arrives in a couple of hours. She's been driving all day and I'm so ready for her to get here!! We haven't seen any family since Christmas and DD is so excited to see her. Better go finish my cleaning! MIL won't care if the house is messy but I want it to look extra nice since it's her first time seeing our new house.
    BFP #2 - MC Aug 2012 - D&C w/ complications
    imageimage
  • Both my girls were shelter rescues (one passed away last year). I really get so annoyed when someone buys from a breeder. So many dogs need homes but some want a "purebread," which is more important to them than saving a perfectly great animal. I get wanting certain types of breeds but all breeds are in shelters. I wish more people would give up having that status purebred "paper" and adopt an animal who otherwise may never know love and life.

I'm for proper, doing it for the breed breeding, but I agree that purebreds of all kinds are in shelters and many people just don't realize that. The reason is stupid owners who don't do their research on a breed first and then give it up and backyard breeders. I am 100% anti backyard breeder. Just because your dog has papers doesn't mean you should be breeding it.

When looking at husky pups before I ended up adopting Dutch I found a credible breeder selling her show dog puppies whose parents were hip and eye certified (something your dog has to be at least two years old for) for $1,000. I also met a couple who had bred their 1yo huskies 'just once', had no clue what I was talking about when I asked about certification, and were charging $900 because they were papered. Whoop de do idiots!

Both my dogs are shelter dogs. Nikolai is a gorgeous purebred Siberian Husky that was given up to the shelter when he outgrew his fluffy puppy phase and became the handful that huskies can be. He is the best nanny dog out there though! And Dutch was backyard bred from poor lines that should never have been bred. He has hip dysplasia and soft ears, two undesirable traits that came about from an idiot just trying to make money out of his pet. Poor guy was abandoned at only 6 weeks and is such a sweet boy. I love him to death.
  • portentosaportentosa member
    edited March 2014
    My randoms have been pretty serious today. I'm off work now so I'm going to take a nap. :P

ETA: ....after I go to Del Taco and pig out on some deluxe chili cheddar fries!!! Mmmmmmm
  • I just wished my friend a happy birthday and she said how did you remember I am not on Facebook. Does anyone else remember birthdays without Facebook?

BabyFruit Tickerimage

• My parents were supposed to be here hours ago. They bought me a new (tiny) washer and my dad is going to set it up for me... but now it's almost 5 and they're not here yet. I just talked to them and they're still an hour out. I am supposed to get some work done today before we go to Tahoe for 2 nights but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. The plan was to get on the road at 11 but apparently that didn't happen. It's a 3 hour drive from their house to the city and I imagine the city-bound traffic is getting pretty poopy right now... I don't mean to sound like a brat, I'm really happy they bought me a washer and are brining it over but sheesh, they could have come earlier like planned or told me they were running behind so I could get my work done early. 
  • I really wanted a nap today. I'm convinced Sunday naps are good for the soul. Although I didn't get a nap and I can feel myself getting grumpy and tired, it's been a good day. DH and I went driving, to places we needed to go but, because the weather was nice, it was rather enjoyable.

image Baby Girl born September 23, 2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"