January 2014 Moms

Breast milk

I normally don't pump but I needed to the other night so my husband could feed our little girl. When I was pumping I noticed my milk was like water! Never seen this before. I know If I am going to pump it should be in the morning but I was wondering if other moms have noticed this and what have you tried to boost the fat in your milk?

Re: Breast milk

• edited March 2014
    As your baby grows your milk adjusts. In the beginning it's a much darker color and seems thicker. Then it turns more of a translucent whitish/blue color. If you let it sit the fat will still accumulate on top. Unless your dd isn't growing/gaining weight I wouldn't worry about it, it's a natural progression for mature breast milk.

ETA: fixed a word

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hmvbaby14Hmvbaby14 member
    edited March 2014
    I second what @mommy grams‌ says. When I pump, one side is always more watered down looking than the other.

Eta tag

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Married: 4/2/13

DS born 12/19/13

• Loading the player...
  • Fore milk is watery and comes out first. It is thirst quenching for baby. Then the hind milk comes and is more filling. Totally normal.
    image image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • To add to what others said, I get a higher ratio of foremilk (watery) in morning pumps and fattier milk later in the day.

In the fridge it sperates eventually and has a thick fatty layer on top that's like whole milk, the middle looks like 2%, then a layer of skim at the bottom, but the ratio varies.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

mutt_zps2fb5f039-1_zps7220f27c
    BFP 11.8.12 * EDD 7.17.13 * MC 12.20.12
     photo bump_zpsf1e8435c.jpgRIP Post Count

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"