September 2013 Moms
Options

Walker?

Our pediatrician has mentioned a couple of times that the new recommendations are against using a  walker for babies.   Has anyone else heard this? I think LO would really enjoy it, and it would be easier for me to move around than his jumperoo while cleaning,  etc. 

I have askedwhy the ped why,  his response both times was that they just get into trouble with them. No real cconcrete rreason.  I would obviously not leave him in it and leave the room.   I just know that he is quickly outgrowing his bouncy seat and rnp.  I was thinking of looking for one at a consignment store.  I just thought I would ask your opinions first. 

Thanks 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Walker?

• Options
    I have no suggestions.  They are illegal to own, buy, sell, or donate in Canada.

I vaguely remember hearing that the use of walkers can actually delay independent walking, but don't quote me on that.
  • Options
    When I was a baby I flipped mine a few times and I managed to roll down our basement stairs. And like PP mentioned, they're actually illegal here in canada.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Pediatricians don't like walkers because they are safety hazards.Some parents are unprepared for how quickly babies can move when they're in a walker vs. cruising independently, making them prone to falling down the steps, tipping over, grabbing objects they normally wouldn't be able to reach, etc.

MIL bought us a walker against my wishes (I think they're ugly and take up too much space). Since I'm stuck with it now, I reluctantly allow DD to use it, but only if I am within easy grabbing distance.
  • Options
    Some stores sell them in the US still. I would get a new one if you were to get one. What problems I read was a) falling down stairs b) tipping over. I THINK the newer ones are harder to tip and obviously don't let your LO in it near stairs. My MIL has one at her house for DD I'm not really worried about it but she isn't big enough to move it yet. Plus they have a door that goes to the basement not just stairs straight down.
  • Options
    eyriseyris member
    My brother fell down the stairs in his as a baby. My Baby 411 book also said it actually hurts their progress in walking as opposed to helping it.

Do you have one of those doorway jumpers? I bought this Taggies one at Walmart for $30 and E is tall enough for it and loves it.
    My little guy!  Everett Richard born 9/3/13

• Options
    We don't have any stairs in our house. Unfortunately we don't have any door jams that that would support a doorway jumper either.

I don't imagine he would be in it a lot, so I am not so worried about development. I might look into a more portable activity center
  • Options
    MIL has one that SIL bought for her DD when she was a baby. Emily's been in it once, but too little to reach the floor. I wouldn't have a problem with it, but we don't have any stairs that she could go down and the base on the thing is large, so I don't know about it tipping over. It looks sort of like this one:

https://www.target.com/p/chicco-lil-driver-walker-birdland/-/A-14038076#prodSlot=medium_1_7&term=walker

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I got the Disney Cars one for LO. DH tried to see how easy it was to tip over if baby was in it and we were surprised at how it was made so that it doesn't tip over. LO barely reaches the floor but has managed to push himself back. He likes it and as long as I am supervising him while he uses it (which i do), he should be fine. My brother and I both had one and we started walking by 9 months. Obviously you should not rely on it to teach you little one how to walk, but I do think it helps. Like op my LO is too big for swing and jumper.
  • Options
    I've heard they can delay walking independently because the baby can't see her legs or feet and isn't quite the same muscles as actual walking. Heard from a friend who is a physical therapist; I haven't researched or read any studies.
  • Options
    Here's something about the concerns with exersaucers/jumperoos. https://mamaot.com/2012/05/03/exersaucers-the-good-the-bad-the-better/

• Options
    My 7 month old loves her walker! Obviously, you need to make sure they don't fall down stairs in it, but she loves "walking" around our kitchen. As for being delayed in walking, my son loved his walker too and he was walking (not just cruising) at 8 months old, so no one will ever convince me of that! As with everything else, it depends on the baby and they will walk independently when ready.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"