Breastfeeding

How do you wean a child that is so dependent??

I've never posted here, I'm a regular, unfortunately, on Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss, TTCAL and PGAL.

I need some breastfeeding mama help.

***miscarriages mentioned***

I have had 2 consecutive miscarriages while trying to conceive baby #2. My OB has done extensive testing and everything came back normal. She is concerned fatigue has been a factor. She wanted me to wean my 15 mo son when I got pregnant last time but I refused. Unfortunately I miscarried again so I think I should probably take her advice this time even though I am sad and feel like DS and I aren't ready. :(

Our daily routine: nurse in the morning, nap time and bedtime. He still wakes at least 3 times to nurse middle of the night.

I have tried to have DH soothe him when he wakes up in the middle of the night but basically he screams hysterically until I get him.

He will take a bottle from other people, never me. But he hates the bottle and doesn't drink much.

I have no idea what to do here. I can't listen to my son scream for me every night. Advice? Help? Encouragement? How do you wean a child that is so dependent?

Thank you so much for your help.

Re: How do you wean a child that is so dependent??

• I am in the same boat as you except 2 night feedings right now.

With DD#1 I started with the easiest BF sessions first. With DD#1 I weaned to bottles of BM then from there to bottles of WCM. For me the day time was easier then night time.  

DD#2 does not take bottles and I have not figured out if I will wean soon or wait till I get pregnant again.  When the time does come I think I will offer a sippy and breakfast and have that be the first session to cut. I will save night time till last.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • So DS is 15 months now? 
    I weaned my daughter at 21 months before she was ready.  It was hard.  I was pregnant, and I needed to wean her because I was getting so so so sick. 
    At 21 months though I was able to tell her and she understood that it was ending.  I started just cutting back one feeding at a time, and then when I got down to two sessions I cut them both.  I gave her a week or so notice on that by saying "mommy's milk is going away because you are a big girl now."  The hardest session for us was the morning.  She would nurse for pretty much an hour every morning, and cutting that out was so hard.  She cried a lot.  Once we were done though we were done.  Once I cut the last two sessions out we had a couple of days of her occasionally asking, but then answering herself that I had no more milk. 
    Good luck! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"