August 2013 Moms

BLW check in

Haven't seen one in awhile so thought I'd post.

How's its going for everyone? Getting up to 3 meals a day, letting LO be adventurous and try more than fruits and veggies?

It's going well for us an its getting me to cook more at home. But we went to BJ's over the weekend and I got scallops with asparagus and rice so LO got some asparagus and rice and some of DH's pasta.

I wanted to share a recipe adaptation. I'm not quite sure who originally posted about the banana oatmeal biscuits but its from that. LO seemed to have trouble with the oats so I ground them in a coffee grinder and instead of banana used pumpkin purée and did disks this time and DS loooooved them. So I'm thinking you can use pretty much and fruit/veggie purée. And it should work. With the oatmeal being groung they also held together better. Enough for DS to hold their snapping in half but till soft enough to gum pieces off (we're still toothless here).

Anyway just wanted to share. Hope is going well for everyone else
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Jackson was born 8/11/2013 3:53 am 6 lbs 12 oz
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: BLW check in

• We're still at two meals but I think I'm going to start adding a 3rd this weekend. 

We've tried a whole bunch since I've last checked in; zucchini, roasted apples w/ cinnamon, carrots, green beans, chicken, bell peppers, pasta, banana bread, rice, pancakes. There's a bunch more, but I can't think of anything else right now. He'll pretty much eat anything. I'm going to try steak this weekend. 

The only problem I'm having is DH getting on board with doing BLW while I'm not home, which during the week, would be for two meals a day. He's fine giving him the puffs, but he hates doing anything else while I'm not home. He's afraid LO's going to choke. Which is ironic because he's a volunteer firefighter and is taking an emergency responder course right now. He says it's because he knows what can happen (he's responded to cpr/choking calls). He's not against BLW, but I think it freaks him out more than I think it does. 

I need to find this banana oatmeal biscuits recipe! I'll search and look back :) And if anyone else wants to share any other recipes, I'll take it! We're so boring with our straight forward meals. 

Question! With steak, how did you cook the steak for LO? 

• So we're doing more BLW than purees these days - like prob 80/20 BLW.

Last weekend H made them ground beef shaped into little sticks. We cut them in half and they do great! We also tried zucchini squash for the first time. I kept the skin on and they weren't a huge fan, but did well. That's prob the two newest foods we've done.

I think we'll finally make the jump to 3 meals. We've consistently been at 2 for a couple months now, but I'm thinking we should add a third.

They are seriously little garbage disposals. The amount of food my house goes through in a week these days is substantial. Esp now that the babies are eating real volume.

• Loading the player...
  • Slow going around here, he's still not really interested.  We are only doing finger(hand) foods though, no feeding him. 
    image image

• Okay I have a question. LO doesn't like the texture of any food other than store bought purees. Even the purees I make she gags and coughs and refuses to eat. I have given her finger foods but if she is able to break anything off in her mouth she acts like it's the worst thing in the world. I'd rather be doing BLW but she hates the food. I don't kbow if I should just stop giving her the purees and only give her finger foods until she gets used to it or what. She looooves the store bought purees so I'd hate to completely take that away but I don't want her to never want real foods.

Anniversary

• During the week we're only at once a day for dinner. She'll try anything that I give her. Last week she had spanish rice, refried beans, pork, taco meat and guac and that was all in one meal. lol

@kwrecks This is why we're doing BLW with Alexis. Lucas hated anything other than store bought and he still has texture issues. I personally would try more "people food" than purees right now. That way she can learn since this is what food is about right now. They aren't supposed to be eating enough for nutrition since that comes from milk/formula.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • NikkiD522NikkiD522 member
    edited March 2014
    @kwrecks I'm no expert, but if she likes the purees, I would give them to her so she's getting used to different tastes and getting some experience with solids. Is she at all interested in the spoon? Maybe you could skip finger foods altogether and have a refined baby who uses a spoon! :-) My LO grabs the spoon and stuffs it in his mouth.. he just normally sticks it back there a little too far so be careful with that. What foods have you tried so far? 

as for us, we are doing three meals a day and I finally have DH on board ( @truebeliever925 i feel your pain) and am starting to let MIL and my mom give him some finger foods too. We did spaghetti this week.. that was hilarious. 

I do have one question. For those who saw my TMI post, LO had asparagus and must've swallowed part of the spear without gumming/chewing it and it literally came out the other way in the same form (sorry if TMI) - is that ok? I feel bad if hes just downing the food and his little body isn't digesting it correctly....  I'm off to google... 

Mason Lee 
    Born 8/18/13 
    A13 May Siggy Contest 

• Going well.  We started 3 meals a day this week, fruit puree and oatmeal for breakfast, yogurt for lunch and some of whatever veggies or pasta we are having for dinner.  Next week I want to start meats probably chicken first.  New foods since last check in include peaches, asparagus, cucumber and hummas. 
  • @NikkiD522 she loves the spoon! She is messy with it but she definitely knows what it's for and loves to grab it and feed herself. I've been giving her preloaded spoons.

I'm thinking maybe I will do a mix of finger foods and purees at lunch and only BLW at dinner. That way she gets the best of both worlds.

Anniversary

• @NikkiD522 We're the same in the digesting department. I gave zucchini with skin and it came out, peppers too. Carrots don't digest that well and same goes for green beans. I figured it was normal, but now I'm second guessing.

• We were doing great.....and then I tried to give her applesauce & she hated it (read: gagged herself until she threw up & now won't take ANY purées). We were doing a mix of finger foods & purées before but now she's only interested in the finger foods.
    That's fine (other than the purées I have frozen but nbd) but the only concern is that she isn't actually eating as much now. I need to step up my game in the finger food department I guess.

We did give her a chunk of steak last weekend and she LOVED IT. I'm talking baby zombie attacked it, lol. She also had some chuck roast yesterday & loved it. Meats seem to be her favorite, then carrots & broccoli.
  • Cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, venison, pork sausage, tilapia, blueberries and steel cut oatmeal... I think that's it for new foods this week.

It's only been the last couple of weeks that she's really gotten into to it but now she's really eats whatever you put in front of her. She's really figured out "chewing" and how to use her tongue to move things around in her mouth. It's fun to watch. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • She gets a little bit here and there. She is ok with plain toast sticks. Hates anything cold, must be room temperature or warmed. The first big hit is roast beef.
  • @truebeliever925 I read somewhere that babies don't completely digest purees either, you just don't notice it as much since well.. it's the same consistency as poop lol. With that said, I still do worry.. so I'm paging @msspeedymarie .. she's my BLW go-to bumpie :-) Can you help??  
    Mason Lee 
    Born 8/18/13 
    A13 May Siggy Contest 

• @LokiLahve how did you cook the steak (temperature wise)? 

• @LokiLahve how did you cook the steak (temperature wise)? 

They were med-rare for us & I cut off a corner that was between med/med-well. I wasn't sure if that was ok but just decided to go with it & she did fine.
    I'm not sure if that's the "right" thing to do....but that's what I did.
  • I give her a piece of my steak, so med rare. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • So...do your LOs poop every day?

I know while EBF it was normal for her to not poop every day. G hasn't pooped for a couple days and is doing BLW 1 (if not 2) times a day. She doesn't seem uncomfortable and isn't bloated. Wet diapers are still normal. 

We did pesto pasta this week in addition to the norm. I also have been cutting up bite size pieces of things instead of french fry pieces to work on pincher grasp.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

VOTE on my Name List
  • We ran into our first food allergy yesterday. She broke out in a nasty rash at a friends house last night. She tried two new foods: crawfish and tomato. I'm assuming it's the crawfish BUT she had shrimp a month ago and didn't have a reaction so I am a tad confused. Either way we are going to avoid both foods for a bit,

She is such a great eater. Our friends have two little boys. A 3 yo and a 9mo. I'm not going to lie, I really got a kick out of watching her 3 yo fuss about eating his cheese quesadillas ( just melted American cheese between tortillas) and the younger one being spoon fed and her having to play games to get him to take bites, not to mention her own food is getting cold. Meanwhile, DD is going to town on steamed broccoli, hamburger patty, banana, raw onion, and of course the crawfish and tomato!!! Feels so good to know I'm setting her up for a lifetime of healthy eating (allergy not included, ha)!

[spoiler] My Blog: Grow Baby Grow

BFP #1: 12/2009 m/c 1/2010 BFP #2: 6/2010 m/c 8/2010

BFP #3: 10/2011 ectopic 11/2011 (right tube removed, learned left tube was probably nonfunctional due to scar tissue from infection after m/c)

3 failed IUIs, IVF #1: 18R, 12M, 10F, 3 poor quality 5d embryos transferred= BFP #4!!!!!

Betas: 9dp5dt: 64 ~14dp5dt: 91 (expecting miscarriage, doubling time of 236 hours) ~16dp5dt: 200~18dp5dt: 500

First Ultrasound at 6w2d revealed two sacs, only one with a heartbeat

LK arrived after 42 weeks on August 14, 2013! Beautiful, healthy, and happy!

TTC#2: IVF booked for April 2015

Surprise BFP#5 February 19, 2015 EDD: November 2, 2015

Betas: 10dpo: 10, 14dpo: 77, 17dpo: 270

First Ultrasound at 5w1d showed a miracle UTE baby! And right ovary ovulation to left fallopian tube.

JD arrived at 38 weeks on October 20, 2015.

TTC #3: Since October 2017. BFP #6 July 2, 2018 EDD: March 16, 2019 [/spoiler]

• We ran into our first food allergy yesterday. She broke out in a nasty rash at a friends house last night. She tried two new foods: crawfish and tomato. I'm assuming it's the crawfish BUT she had shrimp a month ago and didn't have a reaction so I am a tad confused. Either way we are going to avoid both foods for a bit,

She is such a great eater. Our friends have two little boys. A 3 yo and a 9mo. I'm not going to lie, I really got a kick out of watching her 3 yo fuss about eating his cheese quesadillas ( just melted American cheese between tortillas) and the younger one being spoon fed and her having to play games to get him to take bites, not to mention her own food is getting cold. Meanwhile, DD is going to town on steamed broccoli, hamburger patty, banana, raw onion, and of course the crawfish and tomato!!! Feels so good to know I'm setting her up for a lifetime of healthy eating (allergy not included, ha)!

I don't know if I would get a "kick" outta that, but I would feel bad for her. All kids are different and go through some phases, but that does sound frustrating for her!

Did you offer to help her at all? So she could get some food herself?
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• We tried some cucumber, broccoli and carrots. The cucumber sticks seemed a bit hard and instead of just sucking off the softer bits like before he snapped a bunch of pieces off and spit them out so decided to skip those for now. He also didn't like the texture of the broccoli this time so will try again later. For now just pureed broccoli and carrots which he liked. His favourite is toast! 
    **July Siggy Challenge**

• @Laurakat81‌ I have a slight allergy to shell fish. I can eat shrimp just fine if it was cooked after being shelled...same for lobster. I get a slightly itchy throat if I eat anything directly out of the shells though, or if it was cooked in the shell (shrimp, lobster, etc)
    Just food for thought before you ban all shell fish for life.

I don't know if I would get a "kick" outta that, but I would feel bad for her. All kids are different and go through some phases, but that does sound frustrating for her! Did you offer to help her at all? So she could get some food herself?

No. I sat there laughing and shoving food down my throat. 8-| But seriously, I helped as best as I could. Not much I can in regards to spoon feeding when she's got the spoon. But sure, I engaged in conversation with her 3yo and encouraged him to eat his dinner to get tall like his daddy. Not really sure how you'd suggest I "help". So yes, If you want to get technical with semantics I clearly worded it wrong. I certainly don't get enjoyment from watching a friend struggle. And I suppose I can't expect an internet stranger to know that. But yes, I certainly did get a "kick" out of the fact that my child has thus far never had an issue with mealtime. I attribute that to BLW. And i enjoy feeling confident that I'm giving my daughter wholesome nutritious food rather than processed junk. I think that's something to get a "kick" out of.

BFP #3: 10/2011 ectopic 11/2011 (right tube removed, learned left tube was probably nonfunctional due to scar tissue from infection after m/c)

3 failed IUIs, IVF #1: 18R, 12M, 10F, 3 poor quality 5d embryos transferred= BFP #4!!!!!

Betas: 9dp5dt: 64 ~14dp5dt: 91 (expecting miscarriage, doubling time of 236 hours) ~16dp5dt: 200~18dp5dt: 500

First Ultrasound at 5w1d showed a miracle UTE baby! And right ovary ovulation to left fallopian tube.

• I feel like I need more recipies and ideas but so far we have had pizza crust, pasta, carrots, pease, chicken, bananas and applesauce and we let him have whatever we eat he hasn't had any issues so far and seems to love food.
  • 3 meals a day here.

He eats whatever we are eating, no special recipies or anything. He does really like oatmeal in the morning with fruit, so he is spoon fed that.

Anything he can gnaw on is great. I think the bottom teeth are coming so bell pepper strips are his favorite to chew on.

I found these toddler muffins a while ago on Pinterest a while ago. They have puréed veggies baked in them. The big guy loves them, so I give them to DS2 as well.

So far he likes everything. Haven't found anything he won't eat!
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• We tried scrambled eggs yesterday and ended up with a mild rash and DS was obviously itchy. He's had breaded chicken in the past, made with an egg wash, and was fine so I was a little surprised. How long do you wait before trying again?
    imageimage

Olivia's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
  • @Laurakat81‌ My big one used to eat all kinds of veggies and then sometime around 2-3yo he started to form his own opinions about things and decided that veggies suck balls. Just bc your kid eats it now doesn't mean they will forever like those foods.

He does like aged parm and dipping bread in balsamic and olive oil, though. Haha.

• Laurakat81Laurakat81 member
    edited March 2014
    @carrotcake06‌ Yeah, that wasn't my point but I completely agree! I used to love fish as a toddler and then one day suddenly realized I hated it and to this day can't eat it without gagging. I try every so often because my husband loves it and I know it's healthy. And for heavens sake my baby likes to gnaw on raw onions! I can't imagine that'll last forever! ;) But I was simply referring to the fact that my child is not eating processed junk foods marketed as "healthy" baby/toddler food. And I feel good about that. That through BLW I am and will continue to set her up for a lifetime of healthy eating which I thought was the whole point of BLW. She is eating the exact same food my husband and I cook and eat. There won't come a day when all she will eat is nuggets and fries or Mac and cheese like so many of the kids I know because it will never be an option in our house. I'm not saying she will never be exposed to those foods but we choose a very healthy diet within our home.

• We have done sweet potato, avocado, butternut squash, raspberries, bananas, carrots, sugar snap peas, broccoli, corn, peas, eggs, coconut oil, labne, oranges....most recently we did hamburger, fish sticks, and green olives - all of which she loved. I'm still amazed by the green olives. Weird. 
    Nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"