Trouble TTC

HSG Test

Yesterday I had my first appointment with my OB to discuss why we haven't been able to get pregnant and I left feeling pretty good! He discussed getting some blood work done and then also doing an HSG test. I have looked up some information on the procedure online and it looks pretty straight forward but I was wondering what experiences you ladies have had with this test if you have done it before? There was cramping and bleeding mentioned but I'm sure that varies from patient to patient. I would love to hear how yours went and if you have any suggestions or thing you think might be helpful for a newbie with this. Thanks!

Trying to have baby #1 since April 2013

DH SA March,May 2014 - Low motility and shape issues. On vitamins per RE to help

Me testing April 3, 2014 - FSH and LH good, HSG showed blocked right tube

April 29, 2014 - First RE appt., right tube needs to be removed and possibly left also if

it's bad too. RE suggests going straight to IVF

June 4, 2014 - LAP/HSC and unexpected endo. removed but tubes got to stay!

June 13, 2014 - Post-Op appointment. We decide where to go next since main issue

is MFI influenced. Trying naturally until decision... Repeat SA  in September. Aiming for IUI #1 November 2014.

Re: HSG Test

• lebradfordlebradford member
    edited March 2014
    It varies quite a bit. Mine wasn't too bad. I took like 800mg of Advil beforehand. It felt like really bad period cramps (but still just cramps), and the cramping was over very quickly. I was slightly crampy the rest of the day and only spotted a tiny bit.

Good luck! It was *much* better than I expected. I hope yours goes smoothly.

Oh, fyi, I brought my husband with me because I was really nervous, but they wouldn't let him go back with me because of the radioactivity. Just in case you were considering that....
    **siggy warning**  **everyone welcome**

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    DS- 11.07.02
    DSS- 6.26.04
    Married- 6.29.13
    TTC Again- Sept. 2013
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Test Results/Diagnosis- HSG & SA totally normal
    DX: 3/2014 Prolactinoma/Hyperprolactinemia- Started cabergoline 2/2014
    5/2014 Possible mild PCOS in addition to hyperprolactinemia??
    7/2014 Adding probable tubal factor to the diagnosis list
    9/2014 And now adding hypothyroid to the list- Started synthroid 9/2014
    Cycles 1-4 - Sept.-March- All Anovulatory 
    IUI #1 March/April-  Clomid 50mg + Clomid 100mg +Trigger + IUI #1 = BFN
     IUI #2 April/May-Clomid 100mg + Clomid 150mg + Trigger + IUI #2 + Endometrin=BFN
    IUI #3- June- Follistim 75iu + Trigger + IUI #3  Benched due to a 40 mm cyst. :-(
    IUI #3- July- Follistim 75iu + Trigger + IUI #3 + Endometrin = BFP! on 7/25/14
    Slowly rising betas - Ectopic suspected on 8/8/14 & confirmed on 8/11/14
    Methotrexate on 8/12/14 -HCG negative on 9/2/14
    IVF #1- November- Antagonist protocol: 11/1: start stims, 200iu of Follistim; 11/12 ER 17R/14M/14F; 11/17 5 day transfer of two blasts, 2 blasts and 2 expanding morulas frozen; 11/22 BFP!! (On FRER at 5dp5dt)
    Betas: 9dp5dt 205, 11dp5dt 497, 14dp5dt 1,709
    u/s at 5w0d- 1 sac; u/s at 6w0d 1 baby with heartbeat, another sac without a heartbeat

• Just chiming in...I had an HSG yesterday. I was prescribed an antibiotic to take the day before, day of and day after the procedure by my RE and also took 440 mg of Aleve an hour before.

It literally took about 5 minutes to perform...they inserted the speculum and cleaned my cervix with iodine. After that they inserted a tube into my cervix and uterus with a balloon attached to stop the liquid they filled my uterus up with from escaping. And they removed the speculum.

The table I was on moved up towards an X-ray machine and my RE advised the X-ray tech to position me as close to it as possible. I had to lift one side up and then the other to get better shots of both ovaries.

The pressure while they inserted the tube was medium to mild discomfort. The liquid caused me cramping and more discomfort but by no means was I in too much pain. The worst part was at the end when everything seemed to leak out of me at once. I cleaned myself up and put on a pad and hardly spotted afterwards-maybe I was lucky?!

Best thing about it? Immediate results. No waiting to hear if there is a blockage. I was all clear.

In my opinion it's so much better than a sonohystagram. Much less uncomfortable.
  • Loading the player...
  • I had cramping when the dye was placed through my tubes, and I did have bleeding after (but I was just coming off AF like the day before. I was a little sore the rest of the day, but went shopping after anyway, LOL.
    **All welcome**
     Me: 33 Hypothyroid, HBP, Low Vit D Anemic, Stage 2 Adrenal failure. Unexplained Infertility
    DH: 33 Cancer survivor 
    Married Dec. 2007
    10/2013 Clomid, bfn
    10/2013 HSG, all clear
    11/2013 Clomid, bfn. Cyst burst.
    IUI #1 - 12/31/2013  Femara, Ovidrel - BFN.
    IUI #2 - 1/31/2014 Femara, Ovidrel - BFN.
    IUI #3 - 2/22/2014 Femara, Ovidrel - BFN.
    IUI #4 - 3/24/2014 Femara, Ovidrel - BFN
    IVF Summer 2014 -Cancelled!
    Natural BFP 5/28! Beta: 545.
    1st ultrasound 6/18 - one bean!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had mine about a year ago.  Read the horror stories online so I was prepared for the worst.   I have to say,   I think the emotional discomfort was worse then the procedure.    Everyone's experience is a bit different, but for me it was uncomfortable but mostly not painful,  and equivalent to a heavy period/cramping day after.     I did get very lightheaded afterword for some reason,  so do listen when the tell you to be careful getting up! 

The person who performed the procedure told us that we were 30% more likely to get pregnant the month after the procedure.... so fingers crossed for you! 
    image"">
    TTC since 2012
    Me 35, DH 32 -DH SA all clear
    8/97 severe perotinitis infection as a result of ruptured appendix. poss abdomen/tube scarring
    1/12 HSG all clear!
    2/12 Multiple fibroids diagnosed,  2 submucosal
    3/14 Hashimoto diagnosed, began treatment
    3/14 first RE appointment
    5/14 successful lapriscopic myomectomy via power morcellation
    as of 7/14.....not so patiently waiting
    poss IUI/IVF fall 2014
      BIG Surprise BFP Aug 2014!

• For me the procedure was akward, having to get up from the X-ray table with a ton if dye between your legs and awkwardly waddle to the bathroom. Lol I took 800mg ibprofruren before, had almost 0 cramping afterwords.. Idk why but I figured it would be a normal exam table, when it's not, you're on a hard table so that it can x ray through you. You lay there, they put in a speculum, clean your cervix, then inject the dye. Sometimes doctors will show you what's happening. Sometimes they don't, good luck. Feel free to message me :)

DH= burn vic, abn sa MFI|| ME= PCOS, Sarcoidosis, Hypohyroidism HSG-OK
    tried naturally 2011 & 2012-
    TTC with nurse practitioner 2013
    2 clomid cycles- both bfn, started seeing RE 2013 
    FEBUARY PLAN-HSG|| March Game plan-FEMARA IUI+TRIGGER 
    MARCH-BFP (beta1;104-beta2;302)-bc of hsg
    [[all welcome !!!!!!!!!!!! ]]
  • MommalawyerMommalawyer member
    edited March 2014
    I took some Advil before mine. It didn't seem to help. The thing that hurt the most was the solution being pushed through. It was pretty crampy during the procedure, but after, it was fine. But maybe its cause I had a glass of wine after, who knows. I liked the elephant size maxi pad they provided after, that was the highlight for sure. They gave me antibiotics after the procedure as well.
    Me: 38     DH: 36
    Married: July 21, 2013
    TTC#1 (between us): June/July 2013

DX: MFI (low count and motility)
    Charting/OPK/CBFM July 2013-present
    1st RE Visit: January 2014
    Cycling: 
    March 2014- 75iu follistim + trigger + progesterone + IUI = BFN and OHSS
    (8 million post wash 47% motility, 18mm/17mm/16mm/16mm/14mm follies)
    April/May 2014- Benched due to cysts/enlarged ovaries
    June 2014- 50iu follistim + trigger + progesterone + IUI = BFP!!
    (10 million post wash 60% motility, 20mm/19mm follies)
    Beta 1- 85 Beta 2- 2,752 - EDD 2/27/2015

Everyone welcome. Strength in numbers!

• My HSG went very smoothly.  I had already had a VERY painful saline sono before, so I was terrified when I went in.  I took 800mg ibuprofen about an hour before, and the whole process took like 10 minutes.  I had some cramping when they injected the dye but as soon as the procedure was over the cramping was done.  I also had a tiny bit of spotting after, but that was gone a few hours after the procedure.  Honestly, the whole process was more awkward than it was painful.  The nurse got me all set up (cleaned my cervix, inserted the catheter with the balloon), and when the radiologist came in he was all cheery and was like "how are you today??!".  My response was a very sarcastic "peachy", I totally love meeting new people laying on a medal table with my vag exposed to the world...

I am now waiting to see if DH and I are lucky enough to get pregnant on the HSG cycle.  Good luck with your testing and I hope your HSG is quick and painless!

Me (29): Hashimoto's, CD3/7DPO bloodwork & ultrasound normal, HSG & SHG(x2) all clear
    DH (29): SA Perfect
    TTC Since Jan '13, First RE Appt Jan '14
    DX: Unspecified Ovarian Dysfunction, Long Cycles
    May '13 BFP, C/P 4w3d
    Apr '14:  50mg clomid + ovidrel + B2B IUI #1=BFP,  Natural M/C 6.5wks
    Aug '14: 50mg clomid + ovidrel + B2B IUI #2=BFN
    Oct '14: 100mg clomid + ovidrel + IUI#3 =BFN
    Nov 14: 100mg clomid + ovidrel + B2B IUI#4=slow response, bad lining, cancelled
    FU with RE, more bloodwork: Anticardiolipin +
    Dec 14: 5mg Letrozole+baby aspirin +ovidrel + B2B IUI#4.1=BFFN
    Jan '15: 5mg Letrozole +baby aspirin + ovidrel +B2B IUI #5= BFP!! 
    Beta #1 210  Beta #2 546

• I had mine about a month ago. I took 800 mg of ibuprofen and was a little bit nervous going into it. I had about as good an experience as you can have. It was almost a breeze. My doctor did tell me that he's really good at them, though. Surprisingly, he was. Good luck!
    Me: 31 DH: 43 Married May 2010 TTC Since Jan 2013 Abnormally irregular and long cycles 35-60 days First RE Appointment Feb 2014 All basic tests normal March 2014: Clomid 50 mg - responded with one mature follicle
  • I had my first hsg two days ago. It wasn't so bad, mostly just a feeling of pressure and a wee bit of cramping. And then some leaking afterwards (a pantyliner was enough to get home). It took no time at all. The worst part was having to wait for the radiologist after my doctor got everything set up in me.

I took 800mg of ibuprofen about an hour ahead of time. And focused on my breathing when I was uncomfortable. Good luck! I hope you get good results!

****Loss in Sig****
    3T Sig Challenge: New Year's Resolutions

"Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less."

Marie Curie

Married 2010, together since 2006. TTC for #1 since March 2012, actively charting since November 2013
    March 2014 - HSG left tube blocked, right tube partially blocked bilaterial partial obstruction; onward to the RE in April
    May 1, 2014 - Lap surgery and chromopertubation; Dr removed a bit of endo, but everything looks healthy & tubes are clear!
    May 2014- First medicated cycle, 2.5mg femara+TI; BFN
    June 2014- 2.5mg femara + hCG + IUI
    on 6/18= BFP on 6/28!; C/P on 7/3
    July 2014- 2.5mg femara + IUI #2 on 7/18. Starting progesterone 7/23, bfn
    August 2014- 2.5mg femara + hCG + IUI # 3 on 8/15. BFN
    Tx break
    IVF #1 -
    12/1 - TOT & SIS- RE found a polyp
    12/15 - Hysterscopic surgery to remove the polyp; additional polyps found and removed

12/29- Good baseline u/s, 12 antral follies
    12/30- Started stimming
    1/10 - ER: 17 retrieved, 14 fertilized!
      My Ovulation Chart - No data,  just meds
  • Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences! I appreciate the honesty and feel better going in well prepared mentally so I can try to relax as much as possible. :)

DH SA March,May 2014 - Low motility and shape issues. On vitamins per RE to help

April 29, 2014 - First RE appt., right tube needs to be removed and possibly left also if

June 13, 2014 - Post-Op appointment. We decide where to go next since main issue

is MFI influenced. Trying naturally until decision... Repeat SA  in September. Aiming for IUI #1 November 2014.

• Now that I have had mine I can chime in!!!

First off I want to let you know that most pelvic exams are awful for me. It is an anxiety thing (I think), but I am a big baby about the whole ordeal. 

The day of my HSG I had a pap test first, then the HSG. My doctor prescribed me Ativan 0.5mg for my anxiety. I took it right when we left the house, but it wore off before the procedure :(

I also took 1000mg of Tylenol and 800mg of Motrin (I read all the horror stories). 

Personally I was worked up for nothing. The only rough part during the procedure was the pinch of the speculum. I read that the dye hurts going in, I did not feel the dye at all. 

After the procedure they give you a mattress sized pad to wear. I spotted all day and had a lot of clear discharge (sorry for the TMI). I cramped really bad that afternoon, but it was similar to my typical AF cramps. 

The same evening as the HSG I got a tattoo that took 3-4 hours of sitting, so I think I took it like a champ. 

Good luck to you!
    ***Trigger Warning: Living and loss mentioned***

First TTC Journey: 

- Failed attempts at clomid with OB
    - HSG with OB, nothing found
    - Met with RE. Laparoscopy/Hysteroscopy done on 08/04/2014. Results: Hymenal stenosis, minimal endometriosis, and PCOS
    BFP #1: 11/26/2014, IT'S A BOY!
  • I hope this helps you, though from reading the other responses I seem to be in the minority...

I was SOOO nervous before mine from reading other people's experiences online, but really, the whole test took 5 minutes and didn't hurt a bit.  It was definitely an uncomfortable experience, but it did not hurt...I just felt a good bit of pressure as they were inserting the catheter.  Once the test was over, I had a little bit of dye-leakage, but no cramps or pain.  Definitely bring a pad with you, especially if you have to go to work right afterwards. 

Good luck!
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Me:
    27, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, PCOS
    DH: 28, SA 3/6/14: Good to go!
    *Married 9/24/11*
    ~Started TTC 5/2013~

1/27/14: Unofficial PCOS dx, started Metformin.
    2/25/14: First RE Appointment, PCOS confirmed.
    3/10/14:
    HSG Test: All Clear
    3/14: Femara 5mg CD3-7; 7.5mg CD13-17: BFN
    April-July 2014 (4 Cycles): Femara 7.5mg CD3-7: BFN
    August 2014: IUI #1 - Gonal F + Ovidrel: Cancelled due to under-response
    September-November 2014: IUIs #2-4 - Gonal F + Ovidrel: BFN
    January 2015: IVF #1

• mrsbark711  Wow, the test and a tattoo all in one day?! You're my hero!! Haha :) Thank you for the tips, I am a big worrier so I will see what they can give me for the anxiety too if I need it I think. Thanks!

beekaboo43 Thank you for sharing! It's good to know that not everyone has a rough time with it. Just one of those other lovely TTC things that everyone is different on, lol

• I'm not going to lie. Mine was very painful. I cried loudly. I did have a blocked tube though that they tried clearing. I hope your experience is better. Good luck and FX!

Me: 30   DH: 29
    TTC since 2010
    Oct. 2012 HSG: One blocked tube, one clear
    Oct. 2012 U/S: All good
    March 2014 SA: Flying Colors

April  2014: Met our RE/Got our plan!
    May 2014: laparoscopy/hysteroscopy removed stage II endometriosis
    June 2014: IUI w/100mg Clomid (BFN)
    July 2014: IUI w/100mg Clomid (BFN)
    August 2014: IUI w/100mg Clomid (BFP!)
    September 2014: Beta 1 at 14 DPIUI: 100
    September 2014 Beta 2 at 16 DPIUI: 239
    September 2014: Beta 3 at 23 DPIUI: 3,159
    U/S 9/26: One healthy baby! Measuring 1 day ahead and a FHR of 119 @ 6W4D (EDD May 18)
    U/S 10/26 (first OBGYN visit): Measuring 1 day behind and a FHR of 160 @ 8 weeks. Looks like an upside-down Teddy Graham!

BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @snowflake84 I'm so sorry to hear your experience was so painful :( thank you for the honesty though, I want to be well prepared! Thanks again and best of luck to you!

• Pretty much what everyone else has said, cramping during the test. I took a couple Advil about and hour before and I was fine afterward. I hope yours goes well!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It was a breeze! I thought I felt something but before I could react it was done. I got worked up for nothing. I felt silly. I am a huge wuss and freak out with blood work and this one I didnt even flinch. 
    Husband: MFI Counts 1-11mil, Mot 32%-50% Morph 2-4%
    Me: slightly underactive thyroid
    Married March 2013 TTC since wedding.. 
    Jan 2014 Non medicated IUI-failed 
    April 2014 Started Clomid cancelled IUI due to a low sample
    May 2014 Variococele repair surgery
    (PM me any surgery success stories!)
  • IhopeIhope member
    I took Advil before and it was the worst pain I've ever experienced. Would never go through it again.
  • I had the same experience as @beekaboo43‌ .. I have never been as scared as I was before my first HSG (I've had two) and it was super easy for me. I actually got scared before the second one thinking maybe the first easy one was a fluke... But the second was even easier!

Me: 32  DH: 33  Married: March 2004

July 2006: started TTC
    2008: HSG (normal), couple rounds of clomid through gyno
    2008 - 2010: dragging my feet out of fear and procrastination
    October 2010: first consultation with RE, dx PCOS and fibroids (DH slightly low count/motility)
    Oct. 2010 - Dec. 2012:  In DENIAL! avoided the issue because I was scared of surgery
    January 2013: returned to RE, fibroids grew significantly
    February 2013: second HSG, fibroids pushed on tubes which blocked them somewhat
    March 2013: MRI to determine what type of surgery may be necessary

July 29, 2013: fibroids (5) removed via robotic laparascopy
    August 2013 - Nov 2013 : benched due to recent surgery

IUI #1, Dec. 24, 2013, BFN 
    IUI #2, Jan. 25, 2014, BFN
    IUI #3, Feb. 25, 2014  BFN
    IUI #4 canceled due to lack of response to letrozole
    IUI #4.1 April 28, 2014, BFN

May 16, 2014: wtf consult, start prepping for IVF in June and add injects for one last IUI in the meantime
    IUI #5 started letrozole and bravelle but canceled after HSG led to new diagnosis

May 21, 2014: third HSG, tubes blocked, one at the beginning, one hydrosalpinx??
    June 11, 2014: consult, approved to move on to IVF because the hydro is not completely blocked therefore allowing fluid to move through slowly rather than backwards
    IVF #1 August 8, 2014 - 3dt of 2 embryos, BFN
    September 17, 2014 - 4th HSG, the right tube is very patent (open!!) dye went straight through this time. Weird!
    October 2, 2014 - started metformin treatment
    November 14, 2014 - blood work, brought A1C down from 5.8 to 5.5

November 26, 2014 - RE finally back from vaca and reviewed my chart, no more IVFs for rest of calendar year
    December 1, 2014 - Right after Thanksgiving, I called a new clinic and got in right away! Plan for IVF
    December 17, 2014 - ER! 29 retrieved (!!), 16 mature, all 16 fertilized (ICSI)

IVF #2 December 20, 2014 - 3dt of 3 embryos, BFN

We are done with treatment unsuccessfully. :(

PAIF/SAIF/All Welcome!

image    image
  • J1006J1006 member
    I have my first HSG on Wednesday and was really nervous after doing too much searching online.  After reading all of your posted, I am definitely more at ease! 
  • I was worried to death about the HSG. I googled and googled and finally had to stop.  I took 600 mg of ibuprofen before hand.  The whole thing didn't take more than 2 or 3 minutes.  I had aches, but once I started breathing 'deep' I felt much better.  If it hurts, just take some deep breaths and remember that it will be over soon.
    Married on October 20, 2012.  Began trying in January 2013.
    RE appointment & testing December 2013 - February 2014= Unexplained IF, possible endometriosis
    IUI#1- March 22 (100mg clomid, 75 mg of Bravelle, Ovidrel trigger) = BFP!!!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I would say it's fine to exercise the next day. I had a really good experience with my HSG, though. I am a runner and I ran the next morning with no problems. Good luck!
    Me: 31 DH: 43 Married May 2010 TTC Since Jan 2013 Abnormally irregular and long cycles 35-60 days First RE Appointment Feb 2014 All basic tests normal March 2014: Clomid 50 mg - responded with one mature follicle
  • honestly? I found it to be quite painful. I went into it thinking "no biggie deal" so I went alone. I literally had to stay longer because I didn't think I could drive safely. I also vomited in the bathroom. Bring your significant other or a close friend, just in case
    ===siggy warning====
    Me: 40, DH: 42
    Diagnosis: PCOS
    TTC: May 2013
    TX: IUI #1 with Follistim. Canceled due to too many follicles (10 + that were large); BENCHED
    IVF #1 March 6. 14 eggs retrieved, 10 fertilized. 
    March 11, 4 eggs transferred.
    March 21 BFP  :) Beta #1 457, Beta #2 1350, Beta #3 9619. 
    Due Date November 27, 2014
    TEAM BLUE

• My experience was the same as many others on this board. I had read all of the horror stories and mine was very painful, much more than I anticipated, but only for a very short time while the dye was moving through, seconds literally. I remember the doctor telling me to breathe... I also had light bleeding, more then spotting, the day of the procedure. 
    I was definitely back to normal the day after the procedure and did my workout with no problems.
    Me: 40, Hypothyroidism, well managed, TSH 1.99
    DH: 44 Fine except for low morphology
    TTC since 02/2013  
    08/13: Day 3 tests (ESTRADIOL 20.8; AMH 1.1; FSH 6.2)
    12/13 HSG, all clear
    11/13-5/14 - IUIs #1-3, BFNs, 
    6/14 to present: Taking a break, getting healthier, researching IVF
    Planning for IVF in late summer 2015

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"