Breastfeeding

Breastfeeding for Dummies?

I know its a funny title, but I guess that's the best way I could say it.  I am pregnant with my 2nd child, I had my first when I was 20 and really wanted to BF, tried, but failed.  It seemed the trouble was latching for the most part.  I would like to give it a go again with my second, but feel a little overwhelmed with what I am reading, and nervous because I don't want things to go south like they did with my first (I put a lot of pressure on myself to do it and felt really bad when it didn't work out like I hoped it would). We changed formulas so many times with my daughter because nothing was really agreeing with her (gassy, constipation, etc.) and really don't want to go through that again with my second. Can anyone recommend any good websites for BFing that isn't too overwhelming? 

Re: Breastfeeding for Dummies?

• Does the hospital have little booklets for you? If not ask. They have lots of good info. I also recommend talking with a lactation consultant. I'm 22 and had my first in Nov. Bfing was tough for me at first but the lactation consultant really helped a lot. I met with her once before lo was born and then twice during our hospital stay. Sorry I don't have a website suggestion but a lc could really help.
  • I could've written your post. When I was pregnant with ds (now 3 months) I read the womanly art of breastfeeding and it was very informative. Breastfeeding has gone so much more smoothly this time around. I also think knowing how much I regretted giving up bf'ing with my daughter helped me persevere through the beginning. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • I just wanted to say- you can definitely breastfeed your second baby, even when it didn't work out with your first, I did! Hang on on these boards, there are so many good questions and answers here. Read back a few pages. I second Kellymom- it's a great website.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • You can do it! Every breast feeding relationship is different because every baby is different. Remember to ask for help and finding a support group is a wonderful idea like pp suggested. GL!!
    I hope to create a real siggy but first I need some sleep!

Mom to Lily and Colin!
  • I also gave up on BFing my first son and I was determined to make it work this time. Things that got me off to a good start this time were: very pro-breastfeeding hospital with knowledgeable nurses and LCs on staff, breastfeeding support group at hospital, very supportive pediatrician, and this board! Anytime I had a question, some else was usually already asking it and the answer was always there. As far as a BFing for Dummies resource, this latching checklist was helpful for me. Good luck!! https://www.breastbabyproducts.com/Old_website/checklist.html
  • I second the womanly art of breastfeeding book. Full of super helpful information. And even if your hospital isn't super supportive do some research to find a lactation consultant in your area, they are SUPER helpful!! I've also been going to a breastfeeding support group that a local LC runs once a week. It's been nice to have her answer my questions while bonding with other BF moms.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"