September 2013 Moms

Unpopular opinions

Re: Unpopular opinions

• I don't really care about GMOs.
  • Loading the player...
  • I think that kids who have everything and anything they could want (before they even ask or want it) won't learn to appreciate the little things in life. By this I mean toys and games. It's obviously great to get children toys they will enjoy, but as my example: buying your 1 year old 300$ worth of toys for their birthday. Ridiculous.

I used to think this and would side eye my sister for doing exactly that! Now that I have Amelia, I can't help myself. I love seeing how interested she is in new things and helping her to figure out how something works. I also have a shopping addiction and would rather buy her a book/outfit/toy than myself something at the moment.
  • amelbug said:

I think that kids who have everything and anything they could want (before they even ask or want it) won't learn to appreciate the little things in life. By this I mean toys and games. It's obviously great to get children toys they will enjoy, but as my example: buying your 1 year old 300$ worth of toys for their birthday. Ridiculous.

I used to think this and would side eye my sister for doing exactly that! Now that I have Amelia, I can't help myself. I love seeing how interested she is in new things and helping her to figure out how something works. I also have a shopping addiction and would rather buy her a book/outfit/toy than myself something at the moment.
    This opinion was actually based on my sister too, mind you she wouldn't spend a lot of money she would get all second hand toys but still, everytime I went over there was toys EVERYWHERE and my exact words to her were always "If I ever have a kid I'm not buying them toys" (this was coming from someone who never really expected to be a mom)

A couple months before Christmas we said "were not getting her a lot of toys, tell your parents to not go overboard"

I def have a shopping problem too but ever since having A, I have really refrained from spending much on her and I don't spend on myself either anymore. I mean she has a whole bucket of little toys, she has her exersaucer, some teddies, books, bouncer chairs. The toys she has are great for learning new motor skills and learning shapes and sorting, colors, numbers etc & until she outgrows them I don't see a need to buy her new ones.

I figure let them enjoy what they actually have before buying more.. If I keep buying new things that's what she will want all the time is the "new" ones not the old ones.

• @Burberrymum I know your right - and we do go back to the same favorites: stacking cups, keys and a jangly bird from target. I like having a rotating set of toys to keep my interest probably, more than hers! I do need to get better before she is old enough to think that she can get anything she wants. I would say though, despite my sister spending crazy amounts of money on my two nephews (5-8) they are the sweetest, most well-mannered boys I have met. Happy to share their toys with anyone. My sister did an awesome job - I hope I do too.
  • amelbugamelbug member
    edited March 2014
    jenny5o5 said:

HBirdie said:

I don't really care about GMOs.

Noooooooooo. GMOs are TERRIBLE!

Bug-resistant super crops sound fine in theory, but are ruining farms and causing increased use of stronger, more harmful pesticides.
    Imagine the possibilities though - we could engineer plants to have more produce / be more resistant to viral infection / contain protein/essential amino acids etc for a fraction of the cost of current farming (if freely distributed and not patented). I understand concerns about cross fertilization but controls could be put in place. In the not too distant future we will use gene therapy to cure disease - why can't we do the same to feed the world?! Of course this is an idealistic viewpoint.
  • I absolutely loved being pregnant. I had a great experience and can't wait to do it again.
    Totally agree.
    I was quite sick pregnant but I wholeheartedly loved it anyway. I think we are one and done but I would do it again in a heartbeat.
  • I really dislike when they film a military person's surprise homecoming. It just feels so personal to me and I get really uncomfortable watching it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I limit our processed foods as much as possible. When I buy processed foods I try to buy organic. I also try to buy organic for the dirty dozen. I should do better but we eat out a lot. Less sleep has a direct correlation to less cooking.
  • jdoud77 said:

Trapped in a quote box!

The discussion of GMO's gets me to think about this: I don't "super clean" my house. I will not use bleach or any chemicals, just some regular dish soap and a wash rag. My boss (who is the medical director of our clinic) says we're all in a hurry to disinfect and get things that kill bacteria that this bacteria mutate and become super bacteria. Our bodies will not develop any immunity if we're "sterilizing" our lives all the time.

I agree wholeheartedly with this! Not that I think you were intending it to, but I don't think this parallels GMOs. So much more than just resistance could be engineered. We could make plants more capable of growing in arid landscapes / better suited to harsh winters etc. the possibilities are truly endless.
  • Only UO that I can think of right now is that I love bologna. Even though I know how it's made and not entirely healthy. But I love it

It's also really annoying when I think of a UO in the middle of the night and forget it in the morning :/

I loooove bologna too! I went about a year without eating any and I'm back with a vengeance!

• I limit our processed foods as much as possible. When I buy processed foods I try to buy organic. I also try to buy organic for the dirty dozen. I should do better but we eat out a lot. Less sleep has a direct correlation to less cooking.
    My FFC a day early... what is the dirty dozen??? @salemkitty13

• Only UO that I can think of right now is that I love bologna. Even though I know how it's made and not entirely healthy. But I love it It's also really annoying when I think of a UO in the middle of the night and forget it in the morning :/
    When I was pregnant I could barely eat and when I did it was the most ridiculous stuff. One day I decided I needed bologna so I got a bologna biscuit from Jacks. BIG mistake. I don't know if I'll ever eat it again. :-&
  • I guess my unpopular opinion is that genetically modifying an organism is not that different to breeding a quality you desire I.e plant that flowers more etc. or surviving a selective pressure. Farmers have done this for hundreds of years (at least) but it is not met with such controversy. Now we know how to precisely engineer a genome we could do so much more.
  • I don't like to cook my oatmeal. I put hot water (from the tap) and eat it crunchy. I don't like it mushy. DH says I don't deserve to eat oatmeal.
    I like my still firm and holding it's shape too, and I can't stand too much water or super mushy oatmeal.  I will eat it dry also. 

My UO:   I hate those Coach bags with the C's all over them.  Or any brand (like LV) with the initials all over it, I just think it looks kinda cheap (I know they aren't cheap).

I have a Coach bag, it's not the brand.  

• Salemkitty13Salemkitty13 member
    edited March 2014
    mdesmet20 said:
    I limit our processed foods as much as possible. When I buy processed foods I try to buy organic. I also try to buy organic for the dirty dozen. I should do better but we eat out a lot. Less sleep has a direct correlation to less cooking.

https://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ALB00035/The-Dirty-Dozen-Foods-You-Should-Always-Buy-Organic.html

Sorry I watch too much Dr. Oz.
    ETA 
    For information. Usually foods with thinner skins have more pesticide. Potatoes are supposed to be the worst because they absorb from the soil. It has to do with the way they function as a part of the plant.
  • mdesmet20 said:
    I limit our processed foods as much as possible. When I buy processed foods I try to buy organic. I also try to buy organic for the dirty dozen. I should do better but we eat out a lot. Less sleep has a direct correlation to less cooking.

https://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ALB00035/The-Dirty-Dozen-Foods-You-Should-Always-Buy-Organic.html

Sorry I watch too much Dr. Oz.
    ETA 
    For information. Usually foods with thinner skins have more pesticide. Potatoes are supposed to be the worst because they absorb from the soil. It has to do with the way they function as a part of the plant.
    Good to know... thanks!

• Zoly1103 said:

I really dislike when they film a military person's surprise homecoming. It just feels so personal to me and I get really uncomfortable watching it.

As a service member who has been surprised with a camera crew upon arriving home I can say it was uncomfortable and a bit awkward to share it with strangers

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• jdoud77 said:

That being said about GMOs, I think buying organic is a waste of money.

Some things are, but a lot of things definitely are not. A little research goes a long way.

• MegStark said:
    I HATE the jean shorts that are so popular right now. HATE them. I don't care what your body type is, NOBODY looks good in those. Nobody. image
    ME TOOO! Hate them. 

• I think that kids who have everything and anything they could want (before they even ask or want it) won't learn to appreciate the little things in life. By this I mean toys and games. It's obviously great to get children toys they will enjoy, but as my example: buying your 1 year old 300$ worth of toys for their birthday. Ridiculous.

The fact that this is unpopular, though not with me, is the reason our society is in the crapper. Selfish, entitled people.

I don't think it's how much you buy a child, but what you teach them.  I don't believe having a lot = selfish or entitled.

By this I don't mean children will be selfish or not be well mannered. I just feel like the finer, free things in life come second to all the "new" toys that you're spending lots and lots of money on.

I always think to myself.. (When it comes to someone I know who uses her baby bonus every month and overloads on new toys for her now 9 month old) if it keeps up and that is what he is accustomed too, what happens if she finds herself in a financial struggle and can't spend a couple hundred on all the new toys he usually gets. I know at this age they don't know the difference (another reason I think it's ridiculous, they can play and learn with a Kleenex box and fabric) but if he grows to know and expect these things all the time and doesn't get them, then what? I think it's more important to cherish and appreciate that ONE special toy they have been wanting for a while, and understand that it's not easy to just get everything you want. It all makes more sense in my head I think lol!

• ^^ I have to try the Kleenex box and fabric, Amelia loves pulling tissues or wipes out of their box.
  • My cereal has to be soggy before I eat it.
  • I don't understand the whole anti-gmo thing now. You do realize that everything is genetically modified? Corn, used to just be a tall grass type plant until we genetically modified a long time ago and bred it to what it is today. We wouldn't be able to feed as many people that we do now if it weren't for GMOs. I'm sorry, I just, I live in the country, in Iowa, and everyone being so anti GMOs, without even talking to a farmer, just drives me nuts.

And FYI, kinda off topic, but if you buy eggs, or poultry from a supermarket that says "cage free", that doesn't mean cage free. That just means that the animal lived in an extra couple sq feet.
  • My UO is I seriously side eye pediatrician's who say babies/toddlers don't need to crawl. I agree they don't need to crawl before walking however they most definitely need to be encouraged to play crawling games and continue to play on their tummy to help their develop.

* I'm an occupational therapist and am shocked how often parents are clueless that crawling/tummy time has any effect on their child past 9 months, I feel like pediatrician's need to get on this! *
  • jojo1112 said:
    MegStark said:
    I HATE the jean shorts that are so popular right now. HATE them. I don't care what your body type is, NOBODY looks good in those. Nobody. image

How is this popular now?!?!? Ewww. image
    I'm glad it seems like my UO is not a UO for S13. I cringe. I started seeing it a lot last Fall at college football games, and I was so grossed out. Then, when I went to a Miley Cyrus concert a few weeks ago (yeah, it was my FFFC... free tix and bad idea), all the girls were wearing them! It was that or a leotard. I'm not looking forward to seeing more of it this summer. 

imageimage

• Zoly1103 said:
    I really dislike when they film a military person's surprise homecoming. It just feels so personal to me and I get really uncomfortable watching it.
    I agree! Its such an emotionally charged theme that I feel like the moment is being exploited just to capitalize on whatever the moment is being filmed for anyway- whether it be a commercial or charity or whatever. 
  • MegStark said:
    I can't tell you how often I see this look around here, mostly paired with a midriff top. I just can't get behind it, at all!

• I hate onesies for DD and refuse to put her in them. I just prefer the look of a t-shirt and bottoms or a dress. I have a ton of onesies I got gifted or passed down and I won't put her in them.

• mdesmet20 said:

I hate onesies for DD and refuse to put her in them. I just prefer the look of a t-shirt and bottoms or a dress. I have a ton of onesies I got gifted or passed down and I won't put her in them.

I'm the total opposite! I put DD in a T-shirt once or twice and HATE that when I pick her up or if she stretches out that her belly shows! All her shirts that have been gifted to me (0-6months) I packed away in a box right away.

• mdesmet20 said:

I hate onesies for DD and refuse to put her in them. I just prefer the look of a t-shirt and bottoms or a dress. I have a ton of onesies I got gifted or passed down and I won't put her in them.

I'm the total opposite! I put DD in a T-shirt once or twice and HATE that when I pick her up or if she stretches out that her belly shows! All her shirts that have been gifted to me (0-6months) I packed away in a box right away.

I must be a weirdo bc I put a onsie under her tshirt and pants!? Then again I'm always worried she won't be warm enough because Pittsburgh has avoided warming up at all.

BFP: 1/17/13 EDD: 9/20/13 Dalenna Rose Born: 40 wks 4 days 9/24/13

FTM to my sweetpea Miss D.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• I like buying local especially farmers markets over the grocery store, including meats and eggs. I can't wait for it to get warm and they open up, I just HATE how expensive the meats and eggs are. I don't know if it's uo or not. :-??

BFP: 1/17/13 EDD: 9/20/13 Dalenna Rose Born: 40 wks 4 days 9/24/13

FTM to my sweetpea Miss D.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• AbbyMMM said:
    mdesmet20 said:
    But don't t-shirts ride up on her when you carry her around?? I love that onesies actually stay put on LO
    Yep, totally rides up. I know, I should love onesies, but I just don't like the way they look. It really makes no sense!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"