August 2012 Moms

Verbal skills

Does your LO say "Mama" "Mommy" or "Mom?" 

I have asked the pedi and I have had his ears checked. He will not say anything that has to deal with the three mentioned above. If I ask him to say it, he will say "Baba." I know that he knows how to say his "M's," but he chooses not to. He just recently started calling DH, "Daddy." 

It just concerns me, I guess is why I am asking this. 

He is going through some sort of a wonder week or mental development phase because his sleep is crazy and he's very cranky. He whines about everything. He has been trying to "talk" a little more it seems. Very vocal and singing.

Re: Verbal skills

• Does he say anything else?
    Yes. Listed below.

Please
    Yes, please
    Daddy
    Lilly~ Our dog
    Beep beep
    What is this?

They are not super clear, but I know what he is saying. @CourtandNate
  • Are you talking about my child? DD2 is super grumpy and not sleeping right now either. She also doesn't say mommy. I wouldn't worry yet, I'm not worried about my LO. She is just a little slower in picking things up than DD1. DD1 was singing whole Taylor Swift songs at this age and DD2 is not any where near that. I guess my point is that all kids are different. I'm convinced that DD2 doesn't say mommy yet because I'm always with her so there's no reason to call me. Haha!
    victoria5month samantha5
  • Loading the player...
  • I would be encouraged by the fact that he's combining words - although our daughter has a good number of words, she doesn't really put them together yet, and that's supposed to be a good milestone.
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • DD's first words out of her mouth in the morning are "Mama! Mama! Mama!"  And she says it ALL.DAY.LONG.  Sometime it drives me crazy.  But I'd probably be sad/concerned too if she didn't say it.

I agree with other posters.  All kids develop at differant rates, and I would try not to worry too much about it.  It is good that you talked to your pedi though, just for peace of mind.

I would probably only be concerned if your DS doesn't pick up any new words between now and his 2nd birthday.  But I'm not a Dr either.  That's just my opinion.

That's awsome that he says "waht is this?"  That shows he has an interest in learning what an object is and what it is name is.

Maybe you can encorage speach with fun games or songs.

Does your DS like books?  I found that once my DD (finally) showed interest in books (other than just chewing on them), that is when she started picking up new words, and got better at pointing out objects, etc.

Also, DD loves Baby Signing Time.  She got a few videos for x-mas.  We watch it a few times a week and I found that has helped out alot.  It's fun and it helps me understand her better.  And she also picked up new words that she learned in the videos.  This week she pointed to DH's Advenger's cup and (attepted to) sign and say "friends".  Honestly it took me a few minutes to figure out what she was attempting.  But when I asked "do you see friends", she nodded yes.  Maybe she was just agreeing with me? 

My Journey to Motherhood
    Me 36, DH 42
    7.5 years of TTC ... It never gets any easier.

Baby Girl # 1
    TTC Since January 2009
    Reproductive Endocrinologist diagnosed us "Unexplained Infertility".
    After 3 years . . . 3 IUIs . . . and 3 IVFs . . . our miracle GIRL arrived on August 6, 2012.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Girl # 2
    TTC Since June 2013
    Got pregnant on our own without Fertility Treatments - January 2016!  Thank you snow storm Jonas!
    EDD 10/15/16
    At 20-week anatomy scan found IUGR (Intrauterine Growth Restriction), and very low Amniotic Fluid.  Now, I'm High Risk and have weekly ultrasounds to monitor fluid and growth.  If baby runs out of room or is too growth restricted, they will deliver ASAP.  My current goal is to make it to 28 weeks!   

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"