2nd Trimester

Invisilign Alignments while pregnant

Hi everyone,

I've been wearing my invisilign sets since before I was pregnant and I should finally take off my last set a week before my due date. The alignments were already causing my gums to swell and get sensitive before I got pregnant and they would sort of press hard on parts of my gum, the closest to the teeth in between the teeth squishing the gum that it would actually look compressed there as oppose to the swollen top part of the gum.

Now towards the middle of my second T I started having gum issues such as; bleeding every time I brush, sensitive gums, swollen gums etc...and with the alignments it's even worse I feel like my gum is worn out....There is no way that I can stop wearing my alignments I'm 4 sets away- 3 weeks each- from finishing my entire treatment and if you stop your treatment mid way you can't just continue it later on as your teeth move differently to what it used to be before....and I can't redo the process, it's bloody expensive.

Has anyone had the invisilign alignments before while pregnant? any suggestions on how I can sooth my gum? my orthodontist just said use a mouth wash and a softer brush but that isn't helping especially with the squishing of the gum
imageimage
God Bless You my Little One
Farida, our first child, born on the 19th of July 2014
Farida, at 8 weeks

Re: Invisilign Alignments while pregnant

• How long has the particular spot been swollen and irritated? When I have gum swelling/irritation (usually from trauma), it can take a week or so for it to feel back to normal. Maybe try icing the area frequently?

DD1: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 36 weeks

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

DD2: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 37 weeks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• it has been about 3 weeks now, the are my 3 side teeth on the left upper side mainly...sometimes I get bleeding/swelling in other areas but this is a constant bad spot.

I never though of icing...would that work? mom says try salty water do you think that would help?
    imageimage
    Farida, at 8 weeks
  • Loading the player...
  • Warm salt water rinses as often as you need - no harm with rinsing and spitting. Excellent oral hygiene including using an extra soft tooth brush 2 or 3 times daily for 2 minutes duration. Floss!!!!!! Also, you can dip your tooth brush in listerine and apply locally to the worst area 1-2 times daily. Make sure you are following instructions for proper cleaning of your Invisalign appliances.
    Married 08.11.2012
    BFP 12.20.2013
    EDD 09.02.2014

imageimage

BabyFetus Ticker

• thank you so much @flossadds! I can't seem to be able to floss ever, I will try the other options though. my teeth are so tightly jammed together that every time I try flossing I end up with the floss thread tearing and getting caught in between my teeth, plus if i touch my gum with it it bleeds right away and that's before invisilign and pregnancy even!
    imageimage
    Farida, at 8 weeks
  • From what I have been told by my dentist is that if you floss regularly, the bleeding will eventually stop. The bleeding happens because you're disturbing the bacteria between your teeth. When you floss regularly, there is less bacteria therefore no bleeding.
    This is all pre-pregnancy advice though. I have to say, when I do floss regularly, it only takes a couple weeks for there to be no bleeding from flossing.
    Based on @flossadds's name though, I'm going to assume she can confirm or deny if this is true.

DD1: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 36 weeks

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

DD2: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 37 weeks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"