Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Giving up BFing before ready

Is anyone else giving up before they are ready? Any advice would be good! LO is 5 mo and was EBF until he was 4mo. I work, and couldn't keep up with him so we intro some formula last month.

I absolutely love BFing, I hate pumping. I'm going to have to stop BFing for various reason:

1. I'm a business owner of a private practice. I'm the only female of child bearing age and I'm not pulling my weight because of the pumping.

2. Pumping is hard to fit into my day.

3. My supply is dwindling despite all of my efforts to enhance it- more milk plus caps, SNS, lots of water, Gatorade , more pumping. I'm so frustrated because one day I will feel like these things are helping, and i get 4-5 oz in 20 min, the next day I'm back to pumping 3oz or less in that time. LO drinks 6oz or sometimes more.

4. We have a vacation coming up away from LO for almost a week. I cannot believe I agreed to this. A long time friend of ours is getting married. I know that being away for that long likely means that he will start rejecting the breast. I also don't want to pump every 3 hours while we are at the beach. Nor do I want to transport the milk back home- or worse, dump it.

So this means that I am reaching the end of breastfeeding. I'm so ready to be done pumping, but I don't feel ready to stop breast feeding. I know there is no going back when I start taking steps to stop, and I'm so nervous about that. I find feeding my LO to be really special and I'm really sad that it's coming to an end. I wish that I could feed him and not pump, but I know with my supply issues that is not an option.

I guess I just wanted to write my feelings down and see if there is anyone else out there in a similar predicament.

Re: Giving up BFing before ready

• You probably don't have to stop breastfeeding all together. I think once you get past 3 months your supply is demand driven rather than hormone driven, which means you could potentially nurse only when LO is with you and not pump the other times and still have a decent supply. I know a couple of my coworkers only nursed their LOs morning and night, and never pumped at work, and had no problems with this. Maybe consider looking into that before you stop all together.

Good luck!
    image    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks, I'm going to post on that board too. I love the idea of only feeing him when I'm with him. How will I know if he is getting enough? I work 12 hour days 3 days a week. Do you think it would be possible to feed him on days I'm off and not pump on days I work?
  • Loading the player...
  • First, congrats on breast feeding for as long as you have- it's tough and it sounds like you've had a lot of challenges.

I'm in similar position, I enjoy the breast feeding relationship I have with my son, but for a variety of reasons, it is time for us to stop. I plan to gradually cut back 1 feeding/pumping session per week over the next 2 months. I may hold onto the last feeding of the day a bit longer.

I know this decision is right for us, but I am nervous and second guessing myself. You're not alone! Trust yourself and know that you're doing what is best for your and your little one.

In terms of feeding on days you're home, but not pumping on days you work, I don't think that will really work. I'm not an expert- you should post in breast feeding and speak to a lactation consultant- but I think your supply will take a huge hit if you aren't replacing feeds with pumping sessions.

Good luck!
  • Similar situation here. I EP and keeping up with it while working fully time has become challenging. I've recently started backing off my daily pump sessions and already I am seeing a supply difference. I have come to terms with it (sort of). I will exchange producing BM with making healthy solids for my little B (when the time comes). This has helped me feel better about the change. Hang in there, you are not alone.
    Can't figure out the signature thing, so here's the short, short version.....first daughter born on November 10, 2013. She was conceived through the magic of IVF after 2+ years of TTC.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"