2nd Trimester

Biking during Pregnancy

Have any of you biked during your pregnancy.  And when I mean biked, like cycling, clipped in, jersey biked.  It's finally getting somewhat nicer in Ohio soon and I really and itching to get on my bike but not sure if that's okay or not.  It's may favorite way to get cardio in besides walking.  I am 13 weeks tomorrow (March 25th) so hoping that it's okay... Otherwise I will wait till my appt in April to check with doc.

Re: Biking during Pregnancy

• I'd check with your doctor if I were you. Two things occur to me: 1) your doctor might advise you keep your heart rate down. Mine did, but she also said this is less important in the second trimester. I haven't asked her again, so I'm not sure what she means by "less important"; 2) your doctor may advise you not to engage in activities where you could fall, which I'm guessing is always a possibility when you ride a bike, even if you do it a lot. All that being said, I have done spinning since being pregnant, and that's been fine, but again, I kept my heart rate low as my doctor advised, and there's a little bit less of a risk of falling doing that.
  • I am an avid ultra-distance triathlete (I usually put in 250+ miles/week) and I will not cycle outside during pregnancy.  There's too much out of my control riding on the roads.  Whether it be motorists, a mechanical malfunction, gravel, etc.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I guess I'm going a different way.

I ride horses; one who's a mellow, slow-moving easy guy, and my other who can be a speed demon.  I asked my doc if it was okay for me to ride the mellow one once a week (that's all I've got time for and all I've been riding for months now), and he told me it was okay up to 24 weeks. 

I also ride "bitch" on my husband's motorcycle, and the doc said that was okay for as long as I felt comfortable.

I -do- think you should consult your doctor though.  My husband also had a LOT of input as well (it's his baby too) on both questions, but he ultimately told me to ask my OB and whatever the doctor said, he would go along with. 

I tend to waffle back and forth.  On the one hand, the potential risks of whatever sport or activity we're involved in.  On the other hand, I could just as easily be in a car accident.  It's hard for me to want to give up ALL of my "freedoms".  And, for me, riding is as much mental therapy as it is exercise. 

Good luck however you decide!!  :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proud Mother to 16 year old Austin (MCJROTC Sgt., Trumpet playing "Band Nerd" and hopeful Air Force Pilot!)
    Proud Stepmother to 12 year old Josh (Baseball playing, Saxophone playing "Band Nerd" and hopeful Doctor!)
    Proud Mother to baby Kaylee (Stuffed toy playing, Adorable smiling baby and hopeful Rodeo Princess!)

• I guess I'm going a different way.

I ride horses; one who's a mellow, slow-moving easy guy, and my other who can be a speed demon.  I asked my doc if it was okay for me to ride the mellow one once a week (that's all I've got time for and all I've been riding for months now), and he told me it was okay up to 24 weeks. 

I also ride "bitch" on my husband's motorcycle, and the doc said that was okay for as long as I felt comfortable.

I -do- think you should consult your doctor though.  My husband also had a LOT of input as well (it's his baby too) on both questions, but he ultimately told me to ask my OB and whatever the doctor said, he would go along with. 

I tend to waffle back and forth.  On the one hand, the potential risks of whatever sport or activity we're involved in.  On the other hand, I could just as easily be in a car accident.  It's hard for me to want to give up ALL of my "freedoms".  And, for me, riding is as much mental therapy as it is exercise. 

Good luck however you decide!!  :)

I had one of my worst falls from a horse on one of the most "bombproof" in the barn.  We were on a trail ride and he tripped and went down on his knees quickly and I went over his head and landed the wrong way on a large rock.  I had a cracked helmet, a concussion and a broken wrist.

Yes, I know we can't mitigate every risk, but we can certainly choose not to do things that aren't necessary.  I have to drive my car to work, but I don't have to cycle outside or go horseback riding.  Maybe I'm just paranoid, but we've also had a lot of accidents involving motorists and cyclists recently.

• I had my quick one slip and fall to his knees once (pre-pregnancy), and I managed to step off.  And I know it's one of those risks I take if I want to ride.  I've also spoken with plenty of professional horsewomen who rode right up until the end of their pregnancies without a hiccup or a hitch. 

I think it really is one of those situations where we each have to weigh the pros and cons for ourselves, speak with our doctors and go with it.  Like I said, for me, it's not just the exercise, but for my own mental health.  I, and my husband, agreed to go with what the doctor said.  And we're both okay with it.  The OP, along with a professional and her partner (if they're involved) will have to make that call for themselves. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proud Mother to 16 year old Austin (MCJROTC Sgt., Trumpet playing "Band Nerd" and hopeful Air Force Pilot!)
    Proud Stepmother to 12 year old Josh (Baseball playing, Saxophone playing "Band Nerd" and hopeful Doctor!)
    Proud Mother to baby Kaylee (Stuffed toy playing, Adorable smiling baby and hopeful Rodeo Princess!)

• i was told that I could bike for now because I was already biking, but later on my center of gravity will be all crazy so at some point I won't be able to.  I just do little rides around town though, nothing long distance since I got hit by a car biking a few years ago (which also makes me wary so I stay to the safest bike routes!).  IMHO if you feel comfortable and safe and your doc says ok, go for it, just keep reassessing.  I'm starting to get clumsier so i probably wont do a lot of summer biking.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I bike and I also ride a Vespa for fun.  Probably unlikely to stop doing either. I just use caution and common sense. 
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • It's the center of gravity/balance thing which, for me personally, will determine when I give up the motorcycle (I already swore I'd give up horseback riding at 24 weeks).  Right now the worst part is swinging on and off the bike as I've got some sciatica flaring up.  Sucks.  :(  Also, my coats are starting to get a bit too snug on me, and I'm prone to being cold, so I've GOT to have a coat.

• My nurse-midwife and primary care doc both gave me the green like to keep cycling until it's not comfortable for me anymore. I'm almost at 19 weeks, and I've been commuting about 2-3 days a week, weather dependent (I do feel like it's more risky to ride in the rain so I've been skipping that). My commute and errand trips are between 5-10 miles. I'm going to do a few longer rides now that the weather is nicer, maybe a mellow mtn, bike this weekend (the easy trails, not the super technical ones!). In general, if you ride with a heart rate monitor and know your zones, stick with rides in zones 2-3 (moderate effort, no all-out sprints or hard training efforts). I'm on a cycling team, but I'm obviously not doing any racing until the baby is born. I'm hoping to jump back in to racing cyclocross within 8-10 weeks after delivery, so my plan is to keep doing mellow bike rides as long as I can. Here are a few resources on the topic: 

first pregnancy
    due August 20, 2014
    (my blog about bikes, growing things, home remodeling 
    and other random life stuff)

• I am a cyclist as well and after falling off my bike at 8 weeks, which I hadn't done in FOREVER like since I first was learning to go clipless, I decided it just was not worth the risk. But I have to tell you I miss it SO much and not sure when I will be able to get a few hours back in my life to ride post-baby arrival. But I agree with earlier posts -- its really just a risk assessment that only you can conduct because each rider is different in terms of ability, balance, etc. And then of course its a question of where you ride -- urban area with lots of potential to get bumped by an aggressive driver? Rural where you don't see any vehicles for miles around? Long flat rides or lots of hills? As to the exertion factor, I have kept working out with no issue whatsoever. This whole idea that pregnant ladies shouldn't get exercise and shouldn't increase their heart rate, within reason of course and ideally only after first tri, is just silly to me. I joke with my husband that he would only be comfortable if I was wrapped in bubble wrap. I felt so crappy during first tri when I was too tired to work out. I have been working out multiple times a week since then and feel absolutely great. So I guess my bottom line is even if you decide not to cycle outdoors, make sure you replace it with somethign that keeps you moving and feeling good. Best of luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I spoke with my dr cause during spring and summer my husband and I like to bike everywhere.  I would speak with your dr though.

Since it's something I do all the time (3 seasons), she said be safe about it.  We are lucky that we have a choice of 3-4 paved bikeways relatively flat in a 30 minute drive.  She is okay with biking on dedicated bikeways.  She said no to road biking (obviously getting hit by a car but also with sand and the potholes).  

Basically, be realistic about your limitations now that you are pregnant, avoid the high-risk biking, and you are good to go.
  • I'm due Tuesday and I still bike.  It's the easiest way to exercise my dog.

I don't get my heart rate up too far, I only go a few miles, and I only bike in a closed neighborhood not during usual commuting hours.  Rarely do I see a car driving.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @hlm184 So inspiring that you are still riding! My goal is also to keep riding as much as I can until labor, nice to hear from someone that's done it. Also- the Brittany pup in your profile pic is adorable! Is that the dog you're exercising? My dogs are each half-Brittany, both from the Brittany rescue. I love the breed!

first pregnancy
    due August 20, 2014
    (my blog about bikes, growing things, home remodeling 
    and other random life stuff)

• meggyski said:
    @hlm184 So inspiring that you are still riding! My goal is also to keep riding as much as I can until labor, nice to hear from someone that's done it. Also- the Brittany pup in your profile pic is adorable! Is that the dog you're exercising? My dogs are each half-Brittany, both from the Brittany rescue. I love the breed!
    Yep, that's my little girl!  She's almost two years old now.  First dog we've ever owned and I'm so happy we went with the britt.  Great breed!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Biking is my main mode of transportation. Drs say it's okay until you really have a "bump" that can throw off your center of gravity. So I plan to continue until I feel unstable with my size. Check with your dr if it makes you feel better. 
  • My doc told me it was fine.  I am a runner, but throw in some bike riding (nothing fancy) just to get a different workout.  Just listen to your body and don't push yourself too hard.

photo 63d081b2-beb9-4486-ae4e-de648860b72c_zpsa8e37ee8.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"