January 2013 Moms

Working mama guilt and separation anxiety

I work from home as a consultant and have to occasionally take calls or participate on conference calls when DD is awake. I try to get the bulk of my work done while she naps and before she wakes up for the day.

She seems especially clingy on days where I've spent 30 minutes in total on the phone for work. And I feel like her separation anxiety has gotten much worse over the last month. She's super social, waves to everyone in our building and loves other kids. But if I walk away for any amount of time, to pee, grab a snack,etc, she loses it.

Is this a phase? Am I beating myself up for working around her for no reason?

Today we had a mama/daughter day with no work at all. We went to our favorite indoor playschool, went out for lunch and read books all afternoon.

I can't do that every day but I'm just feeling guilty.

Working mom guilt will never go away, will it?
Our little Samosa arrives in January!

Re: Working mama guilt and separation anxiety

• That was exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks!
    Our little Samosa arrives in January!
  • Totally normal!! We are going through the same phase. When we leave a room she freaks out. She even does it at daycare when her caretaker walks out of the room, she attends a home daycare. It shows the a secure attachment as PP said. Don't beat yourself up about. I work full time and have a tough time with it some days, but I know it is something I have to do to provide for my family.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I just read "The No Cry Separation Anxiety Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley to see what insight I could get about DD's anxieties.  I found in helpful/comforting, and a fast read!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • it's probably worse for you because she can see you during the day.  We have bad dropoffs at daycare, but they tell me she stops crying and settles down within minutes of me leaving.  Independant play is important too, so you do have to try to give them space.  But I know how hard it is to feel like it's all balanced!
    William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"