Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Sleep training for breastfed baby

My daughter is 7 months old and the only way she ever falls asleep is from nursing.  A month ago I transitioned her from the bassinet on top of the pack n play to the hanging part of the pack n play.  She slept horribly for most of the last month and then was sick for the last 2 weeks after that.  I tried the crib in the first week and it didn't go well so we went back to the PnP.  She's just about 15 lbs now so I need to move her to the crib in her own room.  What methods have you found successful for breastfed babies?  It's the only thing that will get her to go to bed and the only thing that usually works when she wakes up several times a night.  The pacifier occasionally works in between if she's already somewhat asleep and just starts fussing.  Also, I started using a Merlins Magic Sleepsuit when we made the first transition.  Do you still use them when it gets warmer out?  How do you transition them out of it?  If I just put her in a sleep sack, she rolls her hips and legs back and forth and get upset.  Thanks!
BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: Sleep training for breastfed baby

• I just give ds what he wants. Always a boob. 
  • Read your PnP manual but I'm pretty sure your LO should no longer be in the hanging part but on the bottom. No advice for sleep training

This. We moved LO to the bottom a while ago now. I think there's only a 15lb limit on our hanging part but I moved her at 12lbs.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP 1.5.13 - EDD 9.5.13 - Ysabella Sofia born 9.12.13
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Right, that's why I was saying I needed to move her to the crib.  Since my original post, I did move her to the crib and she has slept there for the past 5 nights, but she's still waking up twice a night and it usually takes several times of putting her down to get her to stay asleep.  99% of the time she has to be nursed to fall asleep.  I did get her to fall back asleep by rocking her with the pacifier, but it only works in the nursing position on the boppy and she woke up again when I tried to move her to the crib.  Sometimes just trying to release her latch wakes her up and she wants to keep nursing even though she was asleep.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Maternity tickers

• We co-sleep and when LO wakes up he gets fed. I only have to be half awake because I don't have to get up. I can't give any advice on sleep training because I believe that if LO wakes up its because he needs something (usually a boob like pp said).
    This is us. Our DD is 8 months and this is also our approach.
  •  but she's still waking up twice a night and it usually takes several times of putting her down to get her to stay asleep.  99% of the time she has to be nursed to fall asleep.  I did get her to fall back asleep by rocking her with the pacifier, but it only works in the nursing position on the boppy and she woke up again when I tried to move her to the crib.  Sometimes just trying to release her latch wakes her up and she wants to keep nursing even though she was asleep.
    Sounds pretty average to me and honestly, twice a night is a lot less than either of my girls woke/wake at this age.
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think you may have to look into some sleep training methods that you feel most comfortable with. Most are divided into 2 either let your baby cry or tend to your baby. Then start teaching your baby how to fall asleep on her own. That doesn't mean you have to ignore her cries for hunger or comfort, it just means you are going to be teaching her good sleep habits so that she may fall asleep independently and not rely on you every time she wakes during the night. Instead she will use her own skills to get back to sleep. Good luck!
  • If he wants the boob he gets it. Remember this is about meeting their needs.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"