September 2013 Moms
Options

The 'Promised Land' aka Sleep

I'm more of a lurker than regular, but I wanted to pass along in case it helps someone.  My DS has always been able to put himself to sleep, but was up every 1.5-2 hours since the three month wakeful.  I knew in my heart that he was using me as a soothing pacifier during his night wake-ups, but honestly I was so tired I couldn't even work on it.  

I read Sleeping Through the Night: How Infants, Toddlers, and Their Parents by Jodi Mindell on recommendation from someone on this board. ANYWAY, she suggests feeding 45-60 minutes before bedtime vs using it as part of the nighttime routine.  I figured, what the heck, and started this last week.  Sunday night DS slept from 6-12:30, no wakeups.  Monday/Tuesday/Wed he woke up around 9:30-ish, but we got him back to sleep by DH going in.  Last night he only woke up to eat at 2am, and then slept until almost 6am.  I'll take it!  On Sunday/Monday/Tues night (and previously) I worked hard on taking him off the breast every time he was slowing/stopping sucking.

Something to try if you aren't willing to let them CIO, but are reaching the end of the rope.  I finally feel human today and have some home!
DD: June 2011    DS: September 2013
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker                    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: The 'Promised Land' aka Sleep

• Options
    So, you BF for the last time around 5pm, then put your LO down at 6pm??

I might try this. DD has been sleeping ok. But she's up 2x at night, and at least one of those times I don't think is hunger... Yet I am guilty of nursing back to sleep...
  • Options
    Yes @charpe, I was nervous about feeding so early, but so far it's been okay.  I usually nurse him around 5:15-5:30 and lay down around 6:00.  He's always been easy to fall to asleep as long as you 'hit the sweet spot', so we don't do too long of a bedtime routine anyway.
    DD: June 2011    DS: September 2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker                    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"