2nd Trimester

ultrasound question

I have had two ultrasounds already one at 12 to confirm due date and then a 2nd level ultrasound at 20 weeks. Are there anymore ultrasounds needed. I would like to see baby again especially during third trimester.

Re: ultrasound question

• Some doctors do them around 36-38 weeks to check if they're head down, but not all of them do it routinely. I had one with DS1, but not DS2. Honestly, he was so big and squished at that point though it was hard to see much.
    imageimageimage
  • If there are no concerns you will likely not get another ultrasound.
  • Loading the player...
  • I didnt mean anything offensive at all I am carrying low and I know they are not concerned about it but I have been feeling a lot of pressure lately. I just wondered if they do another ultrasound because I am scared I will go preterm. Trust me I have had my share of scares this pregnancy as well from a cystic fibrosis carrier to a high risk chance of down syndrome and trisomy 21 we have been put thru so many test. I just worry a lot and after researching on google I don't see many doctors doing a 3rd ultrasound. So its not just to look at baby for the sake of looking.
  • I didnt mean anything offensive at all I am carrying low and I know they are not concerned about it but I have been feeling a lot of pressure lately. I just wondered if they do another ultrasound because I am scared I will go preterm. Trust me I have had my share of scares this pregnancy as well from a cystic fibrosis carrier to a high risk chance of down syndrome and trisomy 21 we have been put thru so many test. I just worry a lot and after researching on google I don't see many doctors doing a 3rd ultrasound. So its not just to look at baby for the sake of looking.
    Carrying low is not a risk for preterm labor. If the doctor has concerns they will take the action they feel in necessary.
  • khaalid00khaalid00 member
    edited March 2014
    It depends on each women situation. Although it is normal to have two or three ultra sounds some women have more. In my case I will have my fifth by my 35 week. I have a healthy pregnancy. I had a U/S at 8 weeks for my first, 12 weeks for genetic screening (personal concerns), 20 weeks for anatomy scan (standard), 30 weeks to check the position of my low lying placenta, and 35 weeks or so last screening for good measure. So for me it is routine and checkups by OB.
  • My 1st baby they did one at 38 weeks for size and he was really small (3rd percentile)so they let me go 2 weeks past my due date

My second had VSD which is a heart defect and I did a sono every 3 weeks until birth from 20 weeks

I don't find your statement offensive. I think most people would love to see them again in the 3rd.

I suggest getting an elective around 34 weeks at a separate facility. They are only like 50 is you get a basic scan which is just as fun to me. I was super tired of scans though after it all and seeing the baby on the screen. I just wanted to hold them.
  • Justabean3Justabean3 member
    edited March 2014
    Also if you have impending labor fears and really feel pressure. There is a swab test they do that is "fairly" reliable that predicts early labor within 2 weeks. If you get a positive be prepared for bed rest though. They won't do it after 34 weeks usually.

It is called fFN, Fetal-fibronectin
  • 24karat24karat member
    edited March 2014
    mylittlemiracle2014 said: I didnt mean anything offensive at all I am carrying low and I know they are not concerned about it but I have been feeling a lot of pressure lately. I just wondered if they do another ultrasound because I am scared I will go preterm. Trust me I have had my share of scares this pregnancy as well from a cystic fibrosis carrier to a high risk chance of down syndrome and trisomy 21 we have been put thru so many test. I just worry a lot and after researching on google I don't see many doctors doing a 3rd ultrasound. So its not just to look at baby for the sake of looking.

________________EDIT FOR QUOTE FORMAT_____________

An u/s will not show if you're going preterm or not per se. An u/s can check cervical length/funneling but that's not something they usually order unless there is reason to believe you are already at risk for preterm labor (multiples, cervical incompetence, etc) or have a high-risk pregnancy. Even those signs won't automatically mean going into preterm labor. Pressure is normal, especially as you get further along in a pregnancy but alone it is not reason to believe labor is imminent. The fFN is used if preterm labor might be imminent, such as having regular 4-5min apart contractions for over an hour or sudden dilation. It won't predict when labor will occur, but can tell you if there is an increased likelihood in the next 2-3 weeks.

The reason you got called out on the elective u/s part is that your OP stated "I would like to see baby again especially during third trimester." There was no mention of any legitimate medical concerns so it comes across as having no reason to have the diagnostic scan (because that's what an u/s is) done other than just wanting to see your baby.
    J13 May Siggy Challenge: People lacking in common sense raise my blood pressure.

imageimage
    DD 8/11 | DS1 7/13 | DS2 7/13
  • Justabean3Justabean3 member
    edited March 2014
    The test is for 2 weeks which narrows delivery down to 1% in that frame. It doesn't confirm delivery just high risk

https://m.ffntest.com/about-ffn-test.html
  • From the looks of it you have a pretty good pregnancy. No complications. So likely you won't get any more. I get one more to measure babies weight after 30 weeks but that's it

It's a BOY

• Depends on your OB office. Ours offers a free, elective 3D US, and does a growth US between 34-36 weeks.
  • thanks guys I have an appointment tomorrow with baby doctor I will ask him then. also want to ask him about the EIF they found on baby's heart if he will need to do another ultrasound to see if that has gone away. Again Magee didnt seem to worried about it as long as my Harmony21 test came back normal which it did. The EIF did up our chances to 1/81 of having a baby with down syndrome but like I said our Harmony21 came back good
  • My OB typically does not.  She said you can normally tell where the head is without an u/s.
    Mom to Abigail & Liliana -- Identical Twin Girls -- April 2008
    Baby #3 due September 12, 2014!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I only had another one at 38 weeks because I was losing weight and they were concerned he was going to be too small. It was so inaccurate though! They said he was about 5 pounds and he came out a week later at 7 lb 12 oz!

first son stillborn 7/20/13 at 39 weeks due to Acute Fatty Liver of Pregnancy
    It's a girl! Baby Anna was born August 3, 2014!

• I will be needing to have regular ultrasounds. I tend to have big babies and my DD got stuck coming out during my last pregnancy. We were very lucky that she wasn't hurt. But my doctor wants to avoid it. So we are closely monitoring the baby's weight so we can either induce before 10 lbs or schedule and c-section if he/she gets that big before it's safe to induce. Normally, you wouldn't need to have as many ultrasounds.
  • Don't do "research" on Google regarding anything medical.

• All depends on your doctor. I got one 6 weeks with DS #1 for dating, the NT Scan, and then the A/S Scan. I am pregnant with DS #2 and my doctor did the same. As far as I know, I will won't be getting anymore done.

• At my last appointment my OB told me he would be doing another u/s at 28-30 weeks. Didn't say why, but I was diabetic before pregnancy so maybe it has to do with that.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • My doctor only does two, unless you have any issues or medical problems.

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"