Baby Names

Ren as a nickname for Irene

rider5344rider5344 member
edited March 2014 in Baby Names
Pronounced like "Wren"? Any other suggestions for a nickname. I like the name Irene and it is my grandmother's name who passed when my mom was young so I really want to use it but I'm not a fan or "Renie" which is the only one I've heard before.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Ren as a nickname for Irene 118 votes

Works
30% 36 votes
Try again, too far off
66% 79 votes
S.S.
2% 3 votes

Re: Ren as a nickname for Irene

• I voted "works" but it barely does... I love Irene though! It was my grandmother's name and she never went by a NN... I think it's short enough that one isn't necessary. That said, an acquintance of ours have a daughter named Irene and they call here Renie, pronounced "Ree-nee". 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• I think Ren is too much of a stretch since Irene has a long E. Maybe Reen?

Honestly though, I'd just use Irene, it's a beautiful name in its own. It's one of my DDs' middle names. I've known a few Irenes and none of them have had nicknames that were based on the name.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • KTZ17KTZ17 member
    In Spanish Irene is pronounced Ee-ren-ay, so to me it makes sense.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    imageimage
  • Love Irene! I think Ren works... Cute.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Jags8Jags8 member
    I don't think names need to have a nickname. Why can't she just be Irene? The only nicknames I've had from my parents had nothing to do with my name, they were just terms of endearment (Sweetie Pie and Sunshine).
  • Jags8 said:

I don't think names need to have a nickname. Why can't she just be Irene? The only nicknames I've had from my parents had nothing to do with my name, they were just terms of endearment (Sweetie Pie and Sunshine).

I voted SS because I agree, no NN needed
  • I'm a believer that nicknames shouldn't be picked out beforehand.. but I do think ren doesn't match with Irene enough.
  • Jags8 said:

Agree with this. My daughter is Marie, no nickname. My name is Julia, sometimes my parents called me Jul, but most of the time it was my full name and NNs like pumpkin pie.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I think it's way off-- sorry.

I have a friend that is a Lauren that goes by Ren (this spelling).  Can you use Irene in the MN spot?  Lauren Irene?

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• I think it's too much of a stretch. My name's Maureen, and my family calls me Reenie, which I think is a better option for you. I've liked it as a nickname, but it's not something I would ever use professionally or put on a resume or even introduce myself as.
  • I think Ren is ok, but my SIL is named Mary Irene and she goes by Rena.  (like Reena)

TTC Since 6/13
    BFP 1: 6/16/13  EDD: 3/2/14  MMC: 8/26/13
    BFP 2: 11/16/13 EDD: 8/3/14
    Baby Brody born 8/1/14!!!

• Love Irene (it was my grandma's name too!).  I wouldn't use a nn at all but if you love Ren I guess I wouldn't try to talk you out of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"