C-sections
Options

Newborn eye gel

Wondering if any of you csec moms refused the eye gel? Ive read that it's for babies who pass through the birth canal and prevents infection from chlyamidia and gonnorhea. I have never had an std and am scheduled for a csec. I'm thinking I can pass on this. Any other csec moms do so? If yes did the drs give you a hard time about it? Just wondering if it's really even necessary...

Re: Newborn eye gel

• Options
    I asked the registration nurse with my first RCS.  I was informed that in the state of Illinois you cannot refuse the eye ointment regardless of c/s or vaginal delivery. If you give birth in the hospital, then it is required by Illinois law.
  • Options
    InLovewSB said:
    I asked the registration nurse with my first RCS.  I was informed that in the state of Illinois you cannot refuse the eye ointment regardless of c/s or vaginal delivery. If you give birth in the hospital, then it is required by Illinois law.
    I live in IL and have two friends who successfully refused it for vaginal deliveries.  The second friend said the hospital was required to call Child Protective Services and they 'might' make a home visit, but they never did.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    kkatykkaty member
    I delivered both kids in Illinois (1 mo old and 3 yo) both c-sections after 24/30 hrs labor ( so not scheduled). You ABSOLUTELY can decline ANY medical procedure - including the eye antibiotics. I declined with both kids. The hospital staff will definitely SAY lots of things like 'it's law, policy, etc' - do your research and stick to your guns. Policy doesn't always equal what's best for your baby
  • Options
    DH and I declined it with all three kids and will again. We're in Iowa but we were planning to refuse it even had they been vaginal since I don't have gonnorhea or any STDS
    Me - J.R. - 05/1986
    DH - J.I. - 08/1986
    Married - 09/22/2006
    DD#1 - A.E. - 12/15/2009
    DD#2 - N.R. - 11/07/2011
    DD#3 - S.R. - 05/20/2013
      DS - R.E. - 10/03/2014

Absolutely in love with our 'big' family!

I'm also a proud Auntie to a crazy little girl, her brand new baby sister, a little man on his way in the next month, and a sweet little mister we will miss forever!!!
  • Options
    You can decline it in IL, I did with my second.

You might have to sign a AMA form if you do decline it.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    It is just antibiotic gel. The same stuff they use if you have a blocked tear duct infection.

I don't understand why you wouldn't want this? It isn't like an immunization or anything.
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u member
    edited March 2014

DS1 - Feb 2008

• Options
    Why would you have it put on your baby if they don't need it?
    DS1 - Feb 2008

• Options
    Justabean3Justabean3 member
    edited March 2014
    I just figure that the hospital is the #1 place to acquire sickness while there. People walk in with one thing and walk out with another from just being around all the germs.

It is just another protection against germs and infection to an area where they readily climb in.
  • Options
    Breast milk works as well and has NO side effects.
    Me - J.R. - 05/1986
    DH - J.I. - 08/1986
    Married - 09/22/2006
    DD#1 - A.E. - 12/15/2009
    DD#2 - N.R. - 11/07/2011
    DD#3 - S.R. - 05/20/2013
      DS - R.E. - 10/03/2014

Absolutely in love with our 'big' family!

I'm also a proud Auntie to a crazy little girl, her brand new baby sister, a little man on his way in the next month, and a sweet little mister we will miss forever!!!
  • Options

Breast milk works as well and has NO side effects.

Except that not everyone can BF and won't know it at time of delivery. Also, DD has an infected clogged duct right now that we ARE treating with BM and it's not clearing so I'm probably headed in for another dose of the eye gel. Seems silly to skip this one...

• Options
    The whole point of the abx eye stuff is if the mom has an STD. If the mom doesn't have one, and if it's a CS, there's no reason to get them. They aren't going to protect the baby from MRSA or staph infections.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

• Options
    Justabean3Justabean3 member
    edited March 2014
    Apparently in Texas you are not allowed to decline it unless you physically restrain the nurse and well I'm not doing that, haha
  • Options
    i didnt make any requests and they didnt do it. my hospital doesnt do it for c section babies

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• Options
    WynWyn member
    edited March 2014
    You can decline it in Nebraska. I did.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"