October 2014 Moms

Calling all insurance experts - cost of extra ultrasound

I know we are all new to our current pregnancy but I'm hoping someone has some insight from past experience.

I have been having red blood spotting since Wednesday. That night all my symptoms went away. I called my OB's office and while they think it's all within the realm of normal, they did schedule a follow up u/s appt for next Tuesday. I am noticing my ms coming back. It went from a 0 yesterday to a 2-3 this morning and now it's up to like a 5 or 6. 

I am still thinking of keeping the u/s appointment though because of the reassurance/clarity it could bring. My biggest concern is that it wouldn't be covered by insurance. If that is the case, does that mean that it wouldn't go toward my deductible even if I pay out of pocket for it? Would it just be a complete oop expense? I don't know if my doctor would code it as medically necessary since I'm the one who pushed for the appt so I'm just wondering how the insurance would work (or not).

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Me: 38 DH: 36
Married 8/27/2011
BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

Re: Calling all insurance experts - cost of extra ultrasound

• Insurance should cover it because it is for the bleeding and you can always call and make sure it's covered. I would still go and get reassured ms comes and goes and it'll give you peice of mind.
  • dana2die4dana2die4 member
    edited February 2014
    Unfortunately if its not a covered benefit, you would have to pay out of pocket. It also doesn't get applied towards your deductible or out of pocket amounts. I would strongly suggest calling your Dr's office (they should have people there to verify your coverage and benefits) or you call your insurance yourself. If you of call yourself, I also suggest getting the ICD-9 codes as well as procedure codes to ensure you are being quoted correctly. 

• Loading the player...
  • Because of the spotting being the reason your doctor is having you come in, it should be billed as medically necessary.  I've had 3 different insurances and been in that position and that's been the case with all of them.
    Son: Jackson, 11/02/06, stillborn due to PPROM and IUGR. Over the next ten years we had 9 miscarriages from 8-14 weeks. On May 18, 2016 my daughter, Ridley, was born. We're OADNBC.
  • If you have to pay put of pocket, it could possibly run you between $750-$1,000, at least that's the cost I've seen billed to my insurance company previously.

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

• I haven't introduced myself on here yet. Still a bit nervous about sharing my news so I hope no one minds me commenting. I just wanted to share my experience.
    I cash pay when seeing the dr. so it doesn't go through the insurance companies...ends up being cheaper. I paid $150/ultrasound with my last pregnancy. It can range anywhere from $150-300 depending on the dr. so just call them and ask. But since they are necessary for you call your insurance company to see if they'll cover it. Hope this helps, good luck.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker

BFP#1 DS 1/19/12  BFP#2 EDD 6/11/14 MC 10/9/12 BFP#3 EDD 10/3/14

• kibyloukibylou member
    edited March 2014
    This happened with my last pregnancy. I had a previous loss and I really just wanted piece of mind, so I asked for one and I got charged for it. I had been spotting earlier, but it had stopped. It was about $300 I believe. Hopefully you can get them to code it as medically necessary, but it was still worth it to me.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We have private insurance with a high deductible & we have to pay $400 for our 20 week u/s up front. I asked about another u/s if it was medically necessary & was told it would still go to my deductible although we would still end up paying it. When in doubt call the insurance, it helps to be proactive so you know your benefits!
  • Call your doctor's office and ask to speak with someone in billing - they will be able to pull up your insurance and give you an estimate. Even if they won't cover it you should be able to get the contracted rate. The estimate I just got for an u/s was $250, but I'm sure it varies by office. 
    p+c 11.6.04  |  +g  2.4.11
     image image
  • If you do end up paying out of pocket you should at least get the rate that your insurance company has contracted for the procedure which should be considerably less than billed charges.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"