September 2012 Moms

anyone in austin?

TiffanyT85TiffanyT85 member
edited February 2014 in September 2012 Moms
My husband has a possible job that would move our family from nova Scotia to Austin. Neither of us have ever been to Texas so it would be a huge change.
Is there anything we should know or be aware of about Texas, and Austin in particular?
What is the job and housing market like in Austin?
I'm sure I will have more questions if this becomes a real move.
Thanks in advance!
                    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: anyone in austin?

• I'm in Austin! (Well, in a suburb just north) We moved here from New Orleans, and absolutely love it out here! Central, north, and northwest Austin are probably the best areas to live in (just my opinion). The schools here are great, my oldest is in 4th grade, and other than minor complaints, we've been happy.

The job market seems to me to be better than a lot of places, I'm a SAHM, but the IT and computer jobs are plentiful, as are health care. I don't know many people who've had a hard time finding jobs in their fields. Housing market all depends on which area you look in. Close to downtown gets quite expensive, suburbs are much more affordable but still close enough to get where you want to go pretty quickly.

As far as family oriented things, there is so much to do out here. Parks everywhere, pools, the lakes and the springs, and we just had an aquarium open near us. There is also a children's museum that my kids love.

Keep in mind that it gets really hot in the summer, but it's low humidity (at least compared to NOLA) so it's not too bad in the shade.

Honestly, moving to Austin was one of the best choices we made. Good luck, and hope that helps!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for the reply @mickey1330!
    I'm in the engineering field, so it sounds like there is lots of that in Austin.
    I think DH would be working in central, if we moved. What kind of commute could we expect from a suburban area?
    It would be a huge change weather wise from where we are. I don't think it really ever gets as hot in NS as it seems to in Texas.
    Thanks again for your insights!
  • Loading the player...
  • I am in Austin! We live North Austin because you can get a bigger house for the money. We looked central, the house are usually really cute and unique! They tend to be a little smaller, but so cool to live so close to downtown!

Austin has so much for families, the parks and museums are great! You will love it! I agree with Mickey, the schools are great.

Good luck with moving, let us know if you have any other questions!
    BFP #1 August 2011 EDD: May 14, 2012. Lost at 11 weeks on October 25, 2011. BabyFruit Ticker
  • My husband's commute is about 20 minutes, but he's not going downtown. My neighbors who worked downtown all take the metro rail in, since it's faster, no traffic, and less headache. So if you look in suburbs, definitely look for proximity to metro rail for getting downtown.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Not in Austin, but good luck with the move. Austin is the only place I have visited in Texas that I actually liked.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • Thanks everyone! We are waiting to see if the salary would make such a big move worthwhile.
    I think Austin is now on the must visit list though!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"