Pregnant after IF

Fetal Echo...leaky pulmonary valve

So I had my fetal echo today and the doc said that baby has a leaky pulmonary valve.  She said that this is something that's very common and most people actually have it and it's nothing to worry about, BUT they usually don't see it on fetal scans.  It's usually there, but they just don't see it.  She also said that our pictures were some of the clearest pictures that she's seen in years and she suspects that that could be the reason why they were able to see the leak, if baby wasn't so cooperative (the tech told me I should be an ultrasound model because my pics were so good...yay??) then they may not have even seen it, but obviously they don't have another one of our scans to compare it to.  Anyway, I'm not super worried, but how can you not help but be at least a little worried when the doc tells you something like this and wants you to come back in a month??  On top of that DH couldn't come with me today of all days, so it was extra sucky.  Has anyone else been told anything like this?
Me 31 ~ DH 30
IVF/FET #1 - BFP!!
<3 CJW 6/15/2014 <3
DX - PCOS 2004
FET #2 - scheduled for 11/24/15

Re: Fetal Echo...leaky pulmonary valve

• @futureMrs:
    Why did baby have an echo??
    Me:35,  DH: 39   
    TTC since March 2011. All bloodword, SA & HSG are normal.  
    8/12: Clomid & TI - BFN 
    10/12: Colmid & TI - BFN 
    3/13:  Clomid, Trigger & IUI - BFN 
    4/13: Gonal F, Trigger & IUI: BFN  
    6/13: IVF #1 (1AA blast & 1BB blast) = BFN 
    8/13: FET #1= BFN
    10/13: FET #2= BFP!!!

BabyFruit Ticker  image
  • I agree with ThreeWords. Technology is just getting so good, they are finding all kinds of things. It's amazing what they can find at those level 2s.

Do they have you going back for another fetal echo? I'm getting another at 30 weeks. AMA and IVF both reasons for it.
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • @futureMrs: Why did baby have an echo??
    They send all IVF babies for echos now according to my OB.  Though, the neonatologist at my A/S said that she disagrees with it and there are a lot more categories of people, such as obese women (her example), who are at much higher risk for having babies with cardiac defects who are not sent...so who knows.  That said, since my OB ordered it, they had to send me.
    Me 31 ~ DH 30
    IVF/FET #1 - BFP!!
    <3 CJW 6/15/2014 <3
    DX - PCOS 2004
  • I'm sorry.  It stinks to have something else to worry about.  :(

I wonder if the technology has just gotten so good that they are catching insignificant things that otherwise would have been undetected.

My a/s this week found a left ventricular echogenic focus.  The doctor said not to worry about it unless something showed up on the echo.  So, now I have to worry about it for 2-4 weeks for the echo (they still haven't called me back to schedule it).
    I just looked that up and couldn't they just tell you that it's a calcium deposit that's super common to find on prenatal ultrasounds.  I also wonder if doctors these days are TOO conservative and bring you back for insignificant things just because they are able to see them now.  Uuuugh it really is just something else to make us worry!
    Me 31 ~ DH 30
    IVF/FET #1 - BFP!!
    <3 CJW 6/15/2014 <3
    DX - PCOS 2004
  • @BBColt78 said:
    I agree with ThreeWords. Technology is just getting so good, they are finding all kinds of things. It's amazing what they can find at those level 2s.

Do they have you going back for another fetal echo? I'm getting another at 30 weeks. AMA and IVF both reasons for it.
    Yes, I have to go back in 4 weeks (so around 27-28 weeks).  Which makes no sense because I was originally told that the echo needed to be done before 24 weeks because after that the baby gets too big and bones get harder to see through so things are harder to detect.  Getting way too many opinions from way too many doctors sometimes isn't the best thing as I'm learning.

Me 31 ~ DH 30
    IVF/FET #1 - BFP!!
    <3 CJW 6/15/2014 <3
    DX - PCOS 2004
  • I'm sorry you have something else to worry about. I hope that it's like the doctor said and nothing really needs to be stressed about!

I am glad I pushed getting a fetal echo though...the new doctors were going to brush it off, even though I was told it was recommended by my RE and a previous MFM!

**Siggy/Ticker Warning**   

TTC #1 since May 2012

May 2013: First R.E. appointment

DH: SA is good

May 2013: CD3 Blood work-normal
               June 2013: Hsg-Right tube blocked

July 26, 2013: Starting Follistim for IVF #1

August 2013: IVF #1 Cancelled- Abnormal embryos

October/November 2013: IVF #2 w/ICSI

November 8, 2013: Transferred two early blasts (no frosties) 

November 18, 2013: First EVER BFP! 

Beta#1: 91  Beta#2: 288

1st U/S- 5w2d Saw yolk sac!

3rd U/S- 7w4d HB of 157bpm!

TEAM BLUE!

http://movingtolight.blogspot.com/

imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• FutureMrsW9FutureMrsW9 member
    edited March 2014
    So we interviewed a pediatrician this weekend, and obviously I had to bring this up....she didn't even blink and eye and said that pretty much all babies have leaky valves before birth, so she was surprised they would even see it as being an issue.  This made me feel a lot better!  I think all docs nowadays just have to cover their butts because people are so lawsuit-happy.

ETA: The pediatrician also went through IVF twice to conceive and she was kind "meh" about the fetal echo thing for IVF babies.  She said it gets to a point where you're just getting way too many scans when you have IVF babies and it's just not necessary.
    Me 31 ~ DH 30
    IVF/FET #1 - BFP!!
    <3 CJW 6/15/2014 <3
    DX - PCOS 2004
  • Dont worry to much.  Once your LO is here they'll have you consult with a pediatric cardiologist.  
    My oldest had a leaky valve and by time he was 7-8 the murmur was no longer audible and he was cleared for an echo every 5 years.  

He'll be 18 in a few months and is about to go to MEPS for military entrance.  He's not had to return to cardiology since he was 12 years old.  
    ****Siggy Warning****

IVF Cycle #1 - 4/06/2013 -3dt of 2 embryos, nothing to freeze - BFN 
    IVF Cycle #2 - 7/18/2013- 3dt of 3 embryos.Froze one 3AA 6 Day Blast! - BFN
    IVF Cycle #3 - 9/15/2013 - 3dt of 4 embryos, nothing to freeze - BFP!!!
    10/7 - +HPT - Beta #1 10/10 - 72, Beta#2 10/14 - 518,Harmony 21 @ 12 weeks shows one very healthy little BOY!!

imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"