Breastfeeding
Options

One-sided Feeding-What Can I Expect?

Due to two abscesses that formed on my left side from two bouts of Mastitis these past 6 weeks I am now weaning on that side since DD is basically a one-sided feeder anyway due to low supply on the infected side. I'm returning to work next week. DD seems to be doing OK doing one-sided nursing, but she will be weighed this afternoon so hopefully she's gaining adequate weight. I pump after a morning feed and only get about 1.75-2 ounces. I am unable to pump in place of a feeding right now because I need her to nurse on the infected side since the the pump flange would cover the open wound I have due to the abscess. Therefore, I don't know how much I'd pump in place of a feed.

I'm very nervous about what my supply will do once I return to work and have to pump at work. Did it work out OK for you one-sided feeders? Did you ever become a milk hoarder? I hope I can be a hoarder, but I just don't know if it's possible with only one boob doing the job. Thoughts?

TTC since April 2011. DH Dx MFI in February 2012. BFP #1: 7.16.12. MMC dx: 8.22.12, D&C 8.28.12, TTC Again November 2012. DH Varicocele repair November 2012; Repeat SA showed "dramatic" improvement February 2013 (awesome!)
BFP #2: 3.26.13, EDC: 12.7.13. Anya born December 9th, 2013!

Re: One-sided Feeding-What Can I Expect?

• Options
    I had a surgery in 2007 and was told I'd be ok to breastfeed. I had my daughter in Dec and I only produce on one side. She is now three months and growing like a weed. I went back to work two weeks ago and I pump at work but I never have extra to save and freeze. When I pump at work I get about 3 and a half oz. When I pump at home I only get about 1-2oz at a time because she nurses so often. What I pump at work I take home at lunch and she has that for the afternoon feeding. She's doing great I just can't get ahead. Breastfeeding her is one of the hardest thing I've ever done, bur she's worth every min of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"