April 2014 Moms

Used breast pump?

Hi ladies,
I don't post much, but I am torn on what to do & need advice. My SIL loaned me a Medela freestyle pump. She had been given it to her by a friend. Her friend had used it for 1 kid & she used it for a while with her kid. I was ok with using it as well until I took the breast feeding class. I had thought this was a closed system pump but the instructor said it was not & it's possible that at some point milk was sucked into the machine & that now there could be mold in it..eww! So, what would you do? Use it or go ahead & purchase a new one? Thanks so much for the help!

Re: Used breast pump?

• I would be reluctant to use it more because the suction probably isn't as good as it used to be and you get get better results from a newer pump.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hi @eme520! I did call, they will pay for a manual one or a rental. Neither option is very appealing, might take them up on the manual one, could come in handy in certain circumstances I guess. If I get a new pump I would just pay out of pocket. Seems like so far that is the consensus, ditch the used one & go for new.
  • Loading the player...
  • If you're working full time pumping is kind of a pita. A couple hundred bucks is a small price to pay for making it as efficient as possible, at least in the long term!
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you're the third user on the pump, it's probably not functioning at optimal capacity anyway, and certainly poses a risk of contamination. I will be reusing my own freestyle, but with new tubing and some new parts.
  • I would not use it!
    BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • You ladies are awesome! Thanks so much for all the advice! Looks like it's shopping time! ;)
  • I'm not opposed to getting a used BP from someone but I would not want it if a. the person had regularly used it or b. it's was the third person to use it.  I have a used one from a lady who bought it new, tried to BF and only last 2 weeks so it's basically new. 

imageimageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • AcaAwkwardAcaAwkward member
    edited February 2014
    In this case, I don't think third time is a charm. I'd be more worried about poor suction than mold, but, yes, there is a chance of contamination as well.

You say your insurance will pay for a rental...will they pay for it indefinitely? Or up to a year? The rental pump I used for 2 mo before buying my own was AWESOME. Seriously, such a powerhouse and awesome for supply. They do tend to be BIG, so going to work with them would be a PITA, but it'd be doable (not discrete though).
    DD 2/21/2012 & DS 4/1/2014
  • I don't know about being the third user.  Maybe a second.  Do you know the the friend? 

I was going to ask a similar question also.  A friend of mine delivered about 3 weeks ago and BF/pumping has not worked out for her.  She offered it to me.  How do you ladies feel about this situation? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My SIL offered me hers but I declined. I think it's just one of those things you should share so I will be purchasing my own. I have a 10% off coupon for an Avent pump so I'll probably do that. I know I'll produce since I've been leaking for months now haha
    YCSWU
  • MadBloom said:
    My SIL offered me hers but I declined. I think it's just one of those things you should share so I will be purchasing my own. I have a 10% off coupon for an Avent pump so I'll probably do that. I know I'll produce since I've been leaking for months now haha
    I leaked for months before DS and had supply issues when he was born.  Not trying to discourage you or anything, just an FYI.  It was pretty crappy considering how much I leaked and then to have next to nothing once he was here and really needed it.  :(

• Luckie519 said:
    I don't know about being the third user.  Maybe a second.  Do you know the the friend? 

I was going to ask a similar question also.  A friend of mine delivered about 3 weeks ago and BF/pumping has not worked out for her.  She offered it to me.  How do you ladies feel about this situation? 
    What kind of pump is it? Some pumps have more replaceable pumps then others. I know with the freestyle I bought with DS basically the pump part was completely separate so you could just buy new tubing. I would do that if it was with someone I knew well and trusted and the pump wasn't more than a year or two old.
    BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • The motor is the part I would worry about. That it either had mold or was just wearing out.
  • Luckie519 said:
    I don't know about being the third user.  Maybe a second.  Do you know the the friend? 

I have one from a similar situation. Personally I think it's okay if you change all the replacement parts (tubes, membranes etc.). That being said it is actually not recommended. If milk did get into the motor and created mildew it's not great for you. The chances of that happening are very low after years of using it, since the pumps we have were only used a hand full of times the risk is almost non existent but you should still be informed and make your own decision.

imageimageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• haziedaze said:
    Luckie519 said:

What kind of pump is it? Some pumps have more replaceable pumps then others. I know with the freestyle I bought with DS basically the pump part was completely separate so you could just buy new tubing. I would do that if it was with someone I knew well and trusted and the pump wasn't more than a year or two old.
    Medela Pump In Style Advanced Pump.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"