June 2013 Moms
Options

Interesting Breastfeeding Article

Interesting study. When they compared siblings (one breast fed the other formula fed) there was no difference in long term health. Study opens up question as to whether the breast feeding studies appropriately adjusted for socio-economic and other demographic factors.  Thought it was a interesting read... 

image image
Bennett Andrew- 6/4/13      Nora Elizabeth - 10/3/14

Re: Interesting Breastfeeding Article

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    What @micabush said. Correlation is not causation, folks, and it's practically impossible to get beyond correlation when studying bf vs ff.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @steamboat1679 I wonder if it was just circumstantial? Like she had an supply issue nursing with one and not the other?
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    needanustartneedanustart member
    edited February 2014
    I'm from a one and one house hold and I got breast milk. I like to think it was because my mother loved me more :)
    No in seriousness I nursed like a champ and my mom had no issues. 4 years later my sister was born and she had lots of latch problems. it wasn't the type of environment some places have now where you could get a LC or support group to help, the ped was just like: stop nursing. So that's how we ended up split like that.
    We do joke in the family that my sister's allergies and lower grades growing up are a direct result of formula feeding, but that's because we are evil children and like to get my mother riled up about it.

• Options
    @calikat80 It doesn't matter what the OP's intent is.  Posts about FF vs BF will inevitably make people feel defensive, guilty, etc. No need for that, so why even bother bringing it up?

• Options
    I agree it won't change anyone's mind, but this is kind of the place where people come to share info about babies and feeding them. I only added my story as kind of a joke (I hope everyone knows how sarcastic I was being when I tell people I am the favorite!) and to show that I think it's pretty easy to find people that have fed one kid one way and another another way.
    I think my sister is allergic to pollen though because my mom fed her Pepsi, not Dr. Pepper. 

• Options
    micabush said:
    I think the bigger question is: does it matter? Those who are dead set one way or the other... A study like this isn't going to change the outcome.
    I think it does matter.  When I was going through plugged duct hell and decided to wean N at 4 months (even though we ended up not weaning at that time), I felt immense amounts of mommy-guilt.  And I think so many people feel that mommy guilt because it is drilled into our heads that breastfeeding is best in every aspect, no questions asked.  There's a huge psychological component here that I think makes this kind of research matter.

I think it's good for people/scientists/researchers to always be challenging current thinking - that's the only way we grow and learn and science advances.  
  • Options
    well, hell, why do our bodies even produce milk then? I guess giving up my body for an additional year is a pointless waste of time because it makes no difference in the long run. I guess I should've read this and weaned her earlier before she nearly tore off my nipple last week with her new teeth. As should all of the other moms who have faced the challenges of clogged ducts, pumping at work, being all night pacifiers/buffets, thrush, blisters, and mastitis. Seems a bit much to deal with if it's "over rated".
    Anniversary       

• Options
    well, hell, why do our bodies even produce milk then? I guess giving up my body for an additional year is a pointless waste of time because it makes no difference in the long run. I guess I should've read this and weaned her earlier before she nearly tore off my nipple last week with her new teeth. As should all of the other moms who have faced the challenges of clogged ducts, pumping at work, being all night pacifiers/buffets, thrush, blisters, and mastitis. Seems a bit much to deal with if it's "over rated".
    I think it's good for there to be continual research and advancements in our knowledge of breastfeeding and its benefits vs. formula feeding. And I think that information does matter, as I noted above.

But I think you and I, and other breastfeeding moms, know that choosing to breastfeed goes way deeper than it's long term benefits or short term nutritional benefits for the child.  I think those of us who fight for it and put up with hell do it more because of the emotional side of it.  I'm weaning now for lots of reasons, but I'm not really mourning the loss of the nutritional value of breastfeeding.  I know she'll be fine on formula.  I'm mourning the loss of our relationship.  So no matter what any article or studies show about its nutritional benefits - you can know that it was worth it for so many other reasons that can't be measured.  
    Benefits are benefits. emotional, physical, or nutritional. I do not think there will ever be a study that could justify calling BFing "overrated" or it's benefits "overstated". 

Anniversary       

• Options
    needanustartneedanustart member
    edited February 2014
    smpeachey said:
    BTW this goes to my theory that you can find a study to try and support honestly everything. When DH had a bad "man-cold" a few years ago he actually found a study that "proved" men get hit harder with sickness than women. I swear it was underwritten by some group called "grumpy overtired dads of american married to nagging wives" or some ridiculous interest group like that. I would bet my bottom dollar that the study had underwriting from Enfamil or something like that. There is a lot of money involved in studies!  
    Follow the money....
    So out of curiosity I did and it was super easy. The foundation that supported the study lists its supporters of each study. Not surprisingly, one of the supporters for a bunch of children's nutrition studies is PepsiCo! I was kinda joking but this one is a softball:

• Options
    I just read most of the article and abstract and I don't see how this is a earthshaking as some news sources are implying. The researcher seemed to want to remove the socioeconomic impact and studying within families is the easiest way to do that. Haven't previous studies shown that family involvement is key in school success etc? I would imagine siblings would receive similar levels of attention, focus, food, healthcare etc. so the outcomes would be similar. Maybe I'm wrong and I don't care how kids are fed as long as they are fed.

Stuck in quote box:
    Why not study within the same SES and then compare, rather than studying only within families who happened to feed each child differently? That in itself is replacing the impact of SES with the impact of genetics, and is equally misleading.

Anniversary       

• Options
    numbersgirl08numbersgirl08 member
    edited February 2014
    I think it's good for there to be continual research and advancements in our knowledge of breastfeeding and its benefits vs. formula feeding. And I think that information does matter, as I noted above.

But I think you and I, and other breastfeeding moms, know that choosing to breastfeed goes way deeper than it's long term benefits or short term nutritional benefits for the child.  I think those of us who fight for it and put up with hell do it more because of the emotional side of it.  I'm weaning now for lots of reasons, but I'm not really mourning the loss of the nutritional value of breastfeeding.  I know she'll be fine on formula.  I'm mourning the loss of our relationship.  So no matter what any article or studies show about its nutritional benefits - you can know that it was worth it for so many other reasons that can't be measured.  
    Benefits are benefits. emotional, physical, or nutritional. I do not think there will ever be a study that could justify calling BFing "overrated" or it's benefits "overstated". 

I think the wording choice is interesting. The article linked states that the study finds that breastfeeding might be "overrated" and references another article about the study. THAT article states that the study finds that breastfeeding benefits might be "overstated".  In my opinion, there is a very clear difference between overrated and overstated.  But, despite that, I still don't know what the actual study itself says, just what articles are portraying it as.  I couldn't find the study itself.  News sources are great at sensationalizing or twisting things into what sells.  It's likely that the study itself never says breastfeeding is overrated or its benefits are overstated (maybe it does, who knows, I'm just skeptical).  You can probably thank the news sources for those wording choices.

And I think it's clear that the study is focusing on physical, nutritional benefits.  Clearly there can't be a study that measures the benefits of the emotional side.  Well, I guess they could try, but I've never seen anyone go within a ten foot pole of that.
  • Options

I think the wording choice is interesting. The article linked states that the study finds that breastfeeding might be "overrated" and references another article about the study. THAT article states that the study finds that breastfeeding benefits might be "overstated".  In my opinion, there is a very clear difference between overrated and overstated.  But, despite that, I still don't know what the actual study itself says, just what articles are portraying it as.  I couldn't find the study itself.  News sources are great at sensationalizing or twisting things into what sells.  It's likely that the study itself never says breastfeeding is overrated or its benefits are overstated (maybe it does, who knows, I'm just skeptical).  You can probably thank the news sources for those wording choices.

And I think it's clear that the study is focusing on physical, nutritional benefits.  Clearly there can't be a study that measures the benefits of the emotional side.  Well, I guess they could try, but I've never seen anyone go within a ten foot pole of that.
    I agree. The wording alone is what rubbed me the wrong way. More so because AF arrived this morning and my nipple hurts and has made me think of weaning as soon as this year is up. I don't need any additional discouragement right now.
    Anniversary       

• Options
    @thetamedshrew (quote trees were getting too long) - benefits are a very personal thing too.  So don't let any study that says "maybe, on average, perhaps we don't really know exactly how beneficial breastfeeding is even though it's probably still best" discourage you.  You know how beneficial it is for the two of you!
  • Options
    You all are making me jealous! Lol! I wish breast feeding had worked for us but it physically could not. I use formula but still believe breast is best, no matter what any article says.

As others have said, you couldn't pick out breast feed adults over formula adults. I was breast feed and my DH was formula fed. His IQ is at the genius level, Mensa and everything.

As long as our babies are fed and loved, we are good mommies :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"