March 2014 Moms
Options

Birth Attire :)

We did our hospital tour tonight, and the woman that did the tour was fantastic. She highly suggested to wear my own clothing during birth because "the hospital gowns make you feel like you are sick. Sick people wear them. You are not a sick person--you are a woman giving birth" is what she said.

STM's and mom's with outside babies--what did you do? If you wore the standard hospital gown, would you change it for next time?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Birth Attire :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My mama made me a fun floral patterned hosp gown
    It's a little bit
    "Little house on the prairie" but bright happy colors
  • Options
    I wore a hospital gown the last two times and can't say that i loved them or thought they were comfortable in the least. This time i have a "pretty pushers" delivery gown - should also make for better pics.
  • Options
    I've only had one hospital birth (one at home) but I didn't wear much of anything.  I wore the gown for a little while, was in the tub for a bit then I just wore my sports bra and was covered in a sheet on my lower half.  When I was pushing I didn't want the sheet anymore, but kept the bra.  I only wore a gown for awhile after the birth while my mom and IL's visited briefly.  I wore it to bed that night since I didn't get to my room until around 2:00am and after I showered in the morning I changed into yoga pants and a nursing tank and that's what I wore for the rest of the time.

At home I wore a black skirt (like a shorter maxi skirt I guess) and a tee shirt.  Plan to do the same this time around!
    imageimage 
  • Options
    Hospital gown then I'm putting on a nursing bra once he's out. Anything to save my poor nips from rubbing on anything.
    BFP#1 11/10* DS Born via Cesarean 7/11* BFP#2 EDD 1/31/14 *M/C 6/13* BFP #3 RCS 3/14/14
    Brothers!
    "I wish that I could bake a cake, made out of rainbows and smiles. And we would all eat it and be happy." 
  • Options
    I'll be wearing the oh-so-glamorous hospital gown for the birth.  Possibly some sort of bra with it (which I'd prefer), but probably not since I won't want to get anything on it and I'll want LO to BF right away.  Once I'm showered, I'll be in comfy PJ/yoga pants, tees, and a soft robe.
  • Options
    Hospital gown.
    Easy to take off when pushing.
    I overheated with both previous deliveries.

• Options
    NickiechanNickiechan member
    edited February 2014
    I brought 3 sports bras (black) went through all of them... With getting in and out of tub. Then after birth I wore those mesh underwear and a nursing tank. Only was in hospital gown for initial check then I threw it to the side...
    Nickie
    Proud Cloth Diapering, Babywearing Mommy to Desmond (5.30.2011) and Evangeline (2.26.2014)
    Loving wife, best friend and teammate to Babywearing Daddy, Kelly (7.27.2000)

Volunteer Babywearing Educator at Babywearing International of South Central Pennsylvania 

• Options
    Hospital gown. They're lightweight and comfy to me. Plus, like other PP's said, I don't wanna ruin my clothes.
  • Options
    I hate hospital gowns. They do make me feel like a patient. Some women want to shave their legs before labor, others want makeup, and others want their own clothes. I'm in group #3. To each their own.

I'm packing some ratty old clothes that I love but don't mind messing up (my favorite nightgown that I have worn holes in, a t-shirt from 8th grade drama club, etc) but it's not as if labor is 24 hours of blood and gore. Only the last bit is usually so messy.
  • Options
    I plan on wearing the gown, but I also packed an old robe of mine. I don't care if it gets ruined. I packed a sports bra in case I want it. Also my hospital says to pack a bathing suit for the tub, so I did.

imageimage

• Options
    I wore the hospital gown with DS and hated it. I made a birthing skirt and shirt although I will more than likely just wear a bra on top. I get super hot. I've rigged it up so I can remove it around an iv without cutting. Same with the birthing shirt.
    Married - 5/2008
    DS #1 - Born 9/2011
    DS #2 - EDD 3/2014
  • Options

I wore it last time and will wear it again.  It's too hard to figure out what else to wear (I hate nightgowns and don't see how they are any different) and I didn't care what nastiness I got on the gown since someone else cleans it up.

Last time I just stayed in my gown because I didn't realize I would be giving birth that day and didn't have anything else, but this time I will change into yoga pants and a nursing tank after delivery once I get a shower.

Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

• Options
    babylimas said:
    I was flat on my back and nekkid. No gown needed! ;)
    hahaha I read this and then immediately thought "OMG, was I naked at my CS?" i kinda thought that my gown was just pulled up, but honestly I have no recollection of it coming off or a new one going on.

For my first birth and both recoveries I wore the gown. My only complaint was that they are really big.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic&nImage and video hosting by TinyPic bsp;center;"
    >Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I cannot imagine caring about anything less than what I am wearing while delivering.  I have worn the hospital gown 4 previous times and will do so again... I guess, because I don't even remember that is how much it matters during the moment
  • Options

We did our hospital tour tonight, and the woman that did the tour was fantastic. She highly suggested to wear my own clothing during birth because "the hospital gowns make you feel like you are sick. Sick people wear them. You are not a sick person--you are a woman giving birth" is what she said.

STM's and mom's with outside babies--what did you do? If you wore the standard hospital gown, would you change it for next time?

Labored in my own clothes,, I tore off the skirt and panties straight away (if I could have gone to the hospital without it I would have) and surprised when the doctor asked me about if I cared about my shirt when they handed me my son....forgot I was wearing one.

Anyways a floppy hospital gown would have been off in 5 seconds I had the urge to get up and pace during my contraction even at 9cm.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers   
  • Options
    I wore the gown for delivery and the first night. The next morning I changed into my own nursing night gown and robe and felt so much better.

imageimageimage

• Options
    I wore a hospital gown the first time.  Didn't really bother me.  I didn't like being bra-less though.

Second time I had a water birth.  I labored in a bikini top and short skirt.  Ditched the skirt when I got in the tub and the bikini top when I got out.

My boobs got massive when I got pregnant and it's really uncomfortable to have them "loose."
  • Options
    yeah I have comfy pants and nursing tank for after and a robe too if I want to walk around and its cold. I really can't imagine caring any less about what I am wearing, just that I would probably want to be comfortable afterwards for visitors and nursing, whatnot.

Put me in the "don't give a shit" band wagon.
  • Options

babylimas said:

I was flat on my back and nekkid. No gown needed! ;)

hahaha I read this and then immediately thought "OMG, was I naked at my CS?" i kinda thought that my gown was just pulled up, but honestly I have no recollection of it coming off or a new one going on.

For my first birth and both recoveries I wore the gown. My only complaint was that they are really big.

You know it may have just been pulled up. I can't remember my boobs hanging out, but I don't care if the world sees my boobs. I will admit I felt very exposed during my csection but I had an insane number of doctors and nurses in the room. I can think of at least 10, but I know there were more I didn't see (like the NICU staff).
  • Options
    Kbaughan said:
    For the third time I will be wearing a hospital gown. Wearing one does not make me feel like I'm sick. Plus, I would rather not ruin any of my own clothes when I can ruin theirs.
    This exactly!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I wore the gown during labor and delivery with both also wore a nursing sports bra under. Once they let me I changed into dark sweat pants and a nursing tank
  • Options
    I arrived at the hospital in a nightgown but in all the panic while in the birthing room they changed me into a hospital. I wasn't sure why but a short 2 minutes later when my water broke I was sort of glad they did. That gown was a mess after LO was born. I ended up wearing a gown the entire stay only because it was easiest for nursing. I want shirts that have arms that snap down from the shoulders, lol!
  • Options

FTM here but I'm planning on wearing the hospital gown. The ones my hospital have are a softer cloth, so not too stiff or uncomfortable, but mostly I just don't want to ruin my own clothes. I'm bringing a short robe in case I get cold, and maybe a bikini for the labor tub.

for after the birth, I have my own undies and a thick, warm floor-length black robe. I'm also bringing loose black pants and a zip-up hoodie to go home in. I'll probably stay the entire time pp in the robe.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"