Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Anyone have knowledge about prostatitis?

Hey everyone,

My DH and I want to begin TTC in 2 months, however, he's had chronic bacterial prostatitis for over a year now.  He's been on all the antibiotics (Doxy, Levaquin, Cipro) but none affectly treat it because once bacteria gets in the prostate, it's very difficult for the medicine to permeate the gland.  Anyway, we haven't started trying yet, but now DH wants to start trying, as he's been eating lots of veggies, and excercising.  Should I be worried?? Hoping someone has positive experiences with this.

Thanks in advance
Holly :)

BabyFetus Ticker

imageimage

Re: Anyone have knowledge about prostatitis?

• Options
    So the antibiotics didn't treat it? Is it still infected? The inflammation might make it difficult for sperm to navigate past the prostate.

Mio Marito per Sempre: Married 2009. SD is 12 yrs. DD is 4 yrs.

DS born 12/29/14

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    It probably is still infected but only in trace amounts, because the bacteria doesn't show up from a urine culture, only when they get some prostate fluid in the sample.  He has good days and not so great days, but he's been to 6 urologists and they all say they don't know much about prostatitis or how to cure it.  Sucks :/

Want to start trying, but almost scared to start and then find it we'll have difficulty...

BabyFetus Ticker

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Well, I can't say that I really have much experience. I've only taken care of one patient with prostatitis and he required massive amounts of IV antibiotics.

You've obviously gotten all the advice that you can from the urologists available. Can any of them refer you to someone who might be more useful? Or can they run some SA tests to see if the inflammation will affect the sperm?  Sorry you have to go through all that.

DS born 12/29/14

• Options
    Krisx2, Are you a urologist as well? My DH refuses to do an IV because when he took the other antibiotics, it gave him gastro-intenstinal pains, even using probiotics.  We haven't done an SA yet...he was going to do it a few months ago, but we figured, let's try first, and then if we have trouble, then we can look into that. One step at a time, hopefully things will work themselves out.  Thank you for your responses!

BabyFetus Ticker

imageimage
  • Options
    holly628 said:
    Krisx2, Are you a urologist as well? My DH refuses to do an IV because when he took the other antibiotics, it gave him gastro-intenstinal pains, even using probiotics.  We haven't done an SA yet...he was going to do it a few months ago, but we figured, let's try first, and then if we have trouble, then we can look into that. One step at a time, hopefully things will work themselves out.  Thank you for your responses!
    No, I'm just a nurse. Sorry I don't have more information. Good luck with either treatment or trying!

DS born 12/29/14

• Options
    I don't have any experience with prostatitis, or advice to offer.  I just wanted to say that I'm sorry you both are going through this, and I hope that you find the doctors who can give you some good answers soon!

• Options
    mommy2Cmommy2C member
    edited February 2014
    Has he been assessed by a physical therapist who specializes in the pelvic floor? Men with prostatitis can get hypertonous or overly tight pelvic floor muscles which exacerbate the symptoms and can sometimes keep symptoms going when the should be markedly reduced or absent. I would say that you could begin trying though but be on the look out for any issues. It is my understanding that prostatitis doesn't necessarily have to impact fertility.
  • Options
    I suggested Myofascial Release Therapy but DH refused (he's very stubborn) but I've given him massages based on what I remember them doing for me LOL (I'm a speech therapist, so I figured I'm not that far off).  We thought it was non-bacterial and pelvic floor related until the last culture showed the same bacteria that was there 8 months ago that we thought was gone.  

Hopefully you're right, but I'm keeping positive and meditating to reduce stress :)

Thank you all for your input and well wishes :)

BabyFetus Ticker

imageimage
  • Options
    Well sounds to me like antibiotics are going to be the way to go and your husband needs to realize that his being subborn to treatment is going to make things difficult.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm not a medical professional, but my H did have epididymitis  and orchitis a few years ago. He was stubborn about getting treatment until I finally dragged him to the hospital when his testicle was the size of a tennis ball and his fever was 103.7. It was super scary. They teated him with IV antibiotics and the infection went away, but the testicle sort of "shriveled" (sorry, gross I know) afterwards and is now non-functional. I would urge your H not to delay treatment, since that can lead to even bigger problems! Good luck.
    TTC#1 since November, 2013

May Siggy Challenge: Favorite Meme

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"