March 2014 Moms

Thought I was having a baby last night; instead I have a stomach virus. A long TMI cautionary tale.

I thought I was joining the February baby club, but no such luck.  Last night I went to bed early, around 9pm.  Forty minutes later I wake up having contractions which stayed about 12-15 minutes apart for the next two hours.  I called my husband to come home from work around 11:30.

While he was on his way home I threw up and I thought "Just my body purging for labor, no big deal".  Then the first bought of diarrhea hit (told you TMI).  Again, just purging right?  Contractions are still going on, staying 10-12 minutes apart.

As it was the middle of the night and things seemed to be moving slowly, I did what my doula recommended and tried to get some sleep between contractions.  Between 2am and 3:30am and I stayed asleep the whole time, so I assume the contractions died off.

At 3:30 all hell breaks loose.  I spend the next four hours either on the toilet or with my head in it, can't keep anything down and I am losing a ton of fluid.  We had our normal OB appointment this morning anyway, so I grab a shower and we trudge off to the that.  

I was so dehydrated I was down three pounds from when I weighed myself on Monday and I couldn't leave a urine sample.  After my first cervical check to see if the contractions did anything useful, they hooked me up to a bag of fluids.  I don't know if you all remember my hatred/feat of IVs, but at this point I was too miserable to care.  MH went out to pick up sublingual zofran and a sugary drink for me in the meantime.

The doctor's best guess is that I picked up the 24 hour stomach virus that is going around and that irritated my uterine muscles, not that labor irritated my GI tract.  Baby gets to cook for a little while longer and I get to stay home and eat jello and take naps. 

Re: Thought I was having a baby last night; instead I have a stomach virus. A long TMI cautionary tale.

• Hope you are feeling better very soon.
    Married 11/23/11, TTC starting 10/12, BFP#1 11/30/12, Adoption of stepson finalized 03/19/13,Loss of our daughter at 20w4d due to incompetent cervix 03/27/13, BFP#2 06/28/13, DS2 born 3/1/14.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • That sounds awful. Hope you feel better soon!

• Loading the player...
  • Yikes feel better soon :(
  • Ewwwwwwww
    I hope you feel better soon
  • What a terrible false alarm :( hope you are feeling better.
    Married 6-1-13
    Sebastian 3-11-14
    Simon 5-2-15
    Baby #3 Due 9-29-16
  • oh my goodness this was me on Sunday at like 3am! I swear it was food poisoning because of how sudden it came on but I lost so much fluid the nurse in triage blew two of my veins trying to hook me up to the IV... I just came back to work today it was a nasty one

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Feel better! I had this last week, and I ended up getting 6 bags of IV fluids and spending 2 nights in L&D.  Not fun at all.

imageimage

• That totally sucks! My dh and I both picked up a stomach virus in the hospital hours before my urgent csection....Nice. oOh and I got some funky pink eye. Ughhh
  • Thanks everyone.  The worst of it is past.  I had no idea that being sick could start contractions like that - not fun!
  • Hope you get to feeling better.
    Married 4-26-2011  Me 31 DH 28  
    TTC since 12/2011  
    5/4/13-IUI #1=BFN,  6/3/13-IUI #2=BFN, 7/1/2013-IUI #3=BFP!!!
    Little Man arrived 3/28/14 at 10:32pm
    9 lb 1 oz & 21 3/4 inches

• I'm sorry you feel terrible. Hopefully the jello & naps make you feel better! I'll be honest, I'm jealous of the jello & naps! Get feeling better!
    BabyFetus Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"