October 2013 Moms
Options

Bronchiolitis...

...is absolutely awful. I feel so bad for LO. He got a stomach virus this past weekend, after having shots last Tuesday, and is now in the middle of this mess. He started coughing Sunday, got worse and worse. I stayed home with him Tuesday and yesterday, and part of today. His fever is still not going away, and peaked (so far) at 102.6 last night. I took him to the doctor yesterday afternoon and they diagnosed him and basically said to wait it out and do suctioning, humidifier, etc. to help with congestion and breaking it up. My question is...how long do you wait to call if he starts not eating? He's been eating okay, definitely not his norm, but more than half of his bottles until today. He only ate 4 oz at 10:45 this morning and hasn't eaten since. BF keeps trying formula and pedialyte/water mixture and he doesn't want either - just screams. WWYD??
Lilypie - (z9ZY)

Re: Bronchiolitis...

• Options
    Won't eat? According to my pedi that's an immediate call to them
    --won't eat or fever above 101.4 = call / immediate attention
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    March Siggy Challenge: whatever you want! --> ORIGINAL CHALLENGE: GIF YOUR BABY!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Just be careful because babies this age can get dehydrated very easily. Make sure your watching his wet diapers. If he doesn't have a wet diaper in like 8 hours (I think) you should call. Give Tylenol for the fever. And call if it gets higher.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you everyone. We've been monitoring his wet diapers and they have been okay. I think it is largely because he can't breathe - and yes . He normally gets 27 oz in a day...BF just texted and said he finally got him to take 5...so he has had 14 oz total today and also a couple oz of Pedialyte. Going to keep monitoring overnight...it is the WORST when they are sick! 
    Lilypie - (z9ZY)

• Options
    Glad he is eating a little more.

Also, be careful not to over suction because that can actually make the congestion even worse.

Good luck!
  • Options
    wedding06 said:

Glad he is eating a little more.

Also, be careful not to over suction because that can actually make the congestion even worse.

Good luck!

@sooner1981 Can I ask how it can make it worse? I was wondering about over suctioning and asked the dr and they said not to worry about it.

The suction bulb or nose frida is a physical irritant and contact between it and the nasal membranes can cause the membranes to swell, further constricting the nasal passage.

Our doctor recommends suctioning only right before feeding or before a nap, if you haven't fed just before the nap.
  • Options
    Hey! My LO was just diagnosed with this today and RSV.. I think it's caused by RSV, heck idk I'm tired!!!! Anyways.. Your babe may not be eating because his airways are constricted.. We have to do albuterol nebulizer treatment every four hours! (Plus amoxicillin for what looks like the beginning of double ear infection.) Don't hesitate to call your pediatricians office multiple times a day! They're used to it! Lol
  • Options
    acethebaseacethebase member
    edited February 2014
    My son just got over this and you should definitely call the pedi. I'm not sure if they prescribed you a nebulizer but that's what my son had to have. Even the first treatment helped so much. But you def should call the pedi because he may start to get dehydrated and that could make things soooo much worse. Good luck and hope your LO feels better, it took about a week for mine to...
  • Options
    Ugh! Sorry to see that so many others are going through this, too. Thanks for all of the advice. I called when I got home from work last night because his wheezing was much worse and he was still really fighting his bottle and they told us to head to the hospital. We spent about 5 hours in the ER at Children's Hospital with him, until about 3 am. They used their strong vacuum suction which helped a lot right away, but the wheezing did come back. They did the albuterol treatment which I think helped some too - but didn't say we should continue to do it at home. (As a person who has had asthma since 3 years old and did treatments multiple times a day for a very long time, I almost wish they would've prescribed the treatments at home because I know they work and help with breathing a ton.) His temperature spiked to 102.2 and stayed that high for a couple of hours, despite Tylenol - so his heart rate was elevated and oxygen kept dipping for a little while. Since fever wasn't going down, they took him back for chest x-rays to rule out pneumonia - thank God they came back fine. No ear infections as of right now either. 

BF is taking LO back to pedi as we speak as a follow up to check his breathing again...we will see what they say. I hope everyone's babies feel better soon, it is hell to see him struggle so much.
    Lilypie - (z9ZY)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"