July 2014 Moms

Shower etiquette SNAFUs

Since tacky shower ideas seem to be the theme of the week, I wanted to hear your shower horror stories.  What is the tackiest thing you have ever seen done at a shower (wedding or baby)?

I actually don't have too many outside of the norm...moms throwing their own showers, gift preferences on invites....that type of thing. But I did go to a bday party for a 1 year old where the mom created a registry and sent that out to everyone for gift selection. That was very special.

Mom to one beautiful July '14 little girl

Re: Shower etiquette SNAFUs

• Loading the player...
  • So I don't have a snafu, rather a question for you all. I saw something recently for a "diaper raffle" Where people can bring a gift or not, but if they bring a pack of diapers (doesn't matter the size) and they are entered for a large type of prize (grill set, water park tickets, portable dvd player, etc.). As a FTM I haven't been to many baby showers and don't know if this is tacky or not. So what are all your thoughts?
  • I have a question, I'm a FTM and I have ever been to only two baby showers in my life. One when I was like 5 years old and the second one when I was 23 for a friend but hers was a big co-ed BBQ with family and friends so no games. 

Anyways, after reading these posts..I've seen a couple comments where people mention raffles or prizes for the guests. I have no idea what the hosts have planned but is this something I need to do or worry about or the hosts? 

Thanks

image  BabyName Tickerimage
  • I don't have any of my own, but each of these are making me cringe. Awful!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Nevermind….sorry ladies. I will ask on the baby shower thread. 

• Wow.  Umm... I've only been to (I think) two baby showers ever, and one of them was a coworkers' and it was held *at* work, so kind of mandatory.  I guess I fit in the group of not having any friends??  Or not having friends who are having babies or something?

All of this stuff is *horrifying* to me.  The only time I've gone against the old school etiquette rules was for an invite to a wedding from a girl DH used to get high with in high school (this happened about 11 years post HS).  He hadn't spoken to her basically at all, she found him on FB, and 2 weeks later we had a wedding invite.  Even though we were engaged (and together for a long time before that), she included me on the invite as "guest"?  I had no idea who she was, or how she fit into his life... and I don't think he RSVP'd, we sent no card and no present.  I'm pretty sure the only reason you'd invite an (almost) stranger to your wedding is to get more gifts??
  • Thanks ladies. I figures it was but those raffle tickets were cute..ha. My mom, grandma, and bf are planning the baby shower but keep asking me about what I think of these ideas. So thanks for saving me, now I know to tell them no.
  • A guy I worked with 8 years ago, someone I haven't see since, invited me and everyone else to a baby shower via Facebook that him and his girlfriend are throwing for themselves. This shouldn't surprise me because this is how I was invited to his wedding (to his ex-wife).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Question!
    As a stm, I'm not expecting a shower or even a sprinkle...especially since this one is also a boy. Is it tacky to throw your own bbq/diaper party?
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP 11/18/13. EDD 7/25/14. It's a BOY! 

Surprise BFP 7/30/13. EDD 4/7/14. Natural MC 8/24/13

• ashcross said:
    I have a question, I'm a FTM and I have ever been to only two baby showers in my life. One when I was like 5 years old and the second one when I was 23 for a friend but hers was a big co-ed BBQ with family and friends so no games. 

Anyways, after reading these posts..I've seen a couple comments where people mention raffles or prizes for the guests. I have no idea what the hosts have planned but is this something I need to do or worry about or the hosts? 

Thanks
    @ashcross Well, if you are asked, I would mention that you would prefer not to have a raffle, because that would be mortifying.  

As far as all shower planning goes (including prizes for games, etc.) I would leave that to your hostesses.  
    Thanks for the feedback. Yea, I certainly don't plan to be apart of the planning. They did ask me a few things about the planning and I just told them to do whatever they wanted to do because they were throwing it and that included games so I have no idea what to expect. 

• bcook530 said:
    So I don't have a snafu, rather a question for you all. I saw something recently for a "diaper raffle" Where people can bring a gift or not, but if they bring a pack of diapers (doesn't matter the size) and they are entered for a large type of prize (grill set, water park tickets, portable dvd player, etc.). As a FTM I haven't been to many baby showers and don't know if this is tacky or not. So what are all your thoughts?
    I'm sure most consider it tacky but I'd spend the $4 on a pack of Walmart diapers for a chance to win something fun! 

Then again, most of the baby showers I attend are for family or good friends so I don't feel put out giving them "extras" like diapers or books. 
  • I went to a bridal shower once, the invites specifically stated not to bring gifts. Upon arriving at the shower there was a pampered chef consultant there who handed each guest the bride's wish list. There was a a presentation of all of the items on the brides wish list, and then everyone was expected to buy a gift for the bride. It was the most awkward thing ever!!

Pampered Chef showers are a thing, but you are supposed to tell people in advance!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My mom wanted to do the diaper raffle but I want to use cloth diapers. Id never heard of it before so I didnt know what it was about. I think she was disappointed that I took it away from her.
  • ashcross said:
    I have a question, I'm a FTM and I have ever been to only two baby showers in my life. One when I was like 5 years old and the second one when I was 23 for a friend but hers was a big co-ed BBQ with family and friends so no games. 

Thanks
    Sometimes there will be small prizes for baby shower games.  It's not something for the guest of honor to worry about, your hosts would take care of it if it is part of the party.  Raffles are never okay.  There are also often favors as well, just a little thank you item for attending- again, this comes from the hosts.  :-) 
    My sweet little munchkin! 
    8 lbs, 13 oz.  21" long

• VTKatieVTKatie member
    edited February 2014
    I went to a bridal shower once, the invites specifically stated not to bring gifts. Upon arriving at the shower there was a pampered chef consultant there who handed each guest the bride's wish list. There was a a presentation of all of the items on the brides wish list, and then everyone was expected to buy a gift for the bride. It was the most awkward thing ever!!

This one might take the cake. I read that one out loud to my fiancé while he was playing video games and he paused the game and made me repeat it. That is just terrible.

Mom to one beautiful July '14 little girl

• Oh God. These are terrible. I love it!!!!
  • snysilver said:

Just this past weekend I attended a "cash shower". I received an invite to a bridal shower a week & a half before the event. There was no registry included in the invite, which is fine of course. So I called the hostess to RSVP, and had to leave her a message, so in my message I said yes I would be attending & asked if she could call or text me to let me know if the couple had registered anywhere. Two days later she texted me to say, "they don't have a registry, it is a cash shower."
    Awful. If you don't need gifts, then why would you have a shower? Basically I was invited to pay for my own seat at the wedding.
    And I'm with @dlsexton, I hate filling out my own envelope for thank you cards. I took the time to buy you a gift (or in the case of this latest event, write you a check) select & fill out a card, but it's just too much work to address my envelope? You're soooo busy?

Asking for cash for any shower or wedding...just no...ugh, seriously now that takes some balls.
    imageimageimage

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers">AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
    Formerly dlsexton
    BFP #1 Dec 2010 ~ Blighted Ovum Jan 2011 @ 11wks D&C Jan '11 & Mar '11
    BFP #2 July 2011 ~ Miss Amelia born 3/30/12 @ 41 weeks!
    BFP #3 July 2013 ~ M/C Aug 2013 @ 5.5 weeks
    BFP #4 Oct 2013 ~ Miss Lydia born 6/3/14 @ 36 weeks!

• I am going to have a cookout for friends andfamily right before tthe baby comes. Probably the 4th of July weekend. We just moved into the house & we wanted to do this but it hasn't happened yet. We think it will be multi purpous, show the house to people who havnt seen it, baby room & eat some grub. People can ask questions & bring the baby something if they want but its not the main pourpouse. I've also explained to everyone that we have everything for baby we need & I don't want a baby shower.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"