February 2013 Moms

Dry scalp solutions for LO

DD has a dry rough patch on her scalp that stays flaky and stuff. She doesn't act like it itches or bothers her, but it's just weird to me.  I've given her oatmeal baths, cut her bathing down to every 2 days to prevent the dryness, used different lotions on the area, and tried different soaps during her bath.  Right now we are using aveeno junk for babies.  Nothing has made a difference.  Anybody have any ideas for how to combat this?  Any natural remedies?

Re: Dry scalp solutions for LO

• coconut oil? we have had luck with aquaphor on dry spots but nothing on the scalp we have had to deal with. I would wash her hair literally like twice a week maybe. How dirty can it get?! (am i gross?!)
  • Just put coconut oil on her head?  That won't be all greasy and weird?  And no, her hair doesn't get like super gross lol so I guess I could cut back on washing it a little longer..maybe every other bath..idk.
  • Loading the player...
  • Not really a natural solution, but we've been using Dry Scalp Therapy Shampoo from Baby Magic. Took probably 2 weeks to clear up her dry, flaky patches.
  • I second coconut oil.  It's solid at room temp, so I just grab a chunk and start rubbing it over the dry area.  It will start to melt as you do it. 

I actually do a coconut oil treatment on my scalp once a week because I suffer from really dry skin/scalp in the winter. 

• Ditto the coconut oil.  When DS had cradle cap, I'd rub it on his dry head, comb out the flaky bits, then shampoo.  That might work for dryness too, minus the combing.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"