April 2013 Moms
Options

Wear Jeans Tomorrow!

Tomorrow is Rare Disease Day and the Global Gene Project runs a "Wear that You Care" campaign to spread awareness about these rare diseases. The ribbon awareness "color" is denim (Get it? Genes = jeans) so its all about wearing jeans.

It is a little known awareness day, but that's the point. There are over 6,800 diseases that are considered rare and they affect 1 in 10 Americans. That's a lot of people, but with everyone having a different, lesser known disease they remain largely unknown.

Tomorrow is the day for families affected by a rare disease to share their story and spread awareness. If you or someone in your family are affected by a rare disease feel free to share your/their story!

In October, Ginny was diagnosed with Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia. I wrote about it on my blog, here.

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

Re: Wear Jeans Tomorrow!

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    I'll have my jeans on for Ginny!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Jeans for Ginny!!!!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    My whole family is wearing jeans.  I hope someone asks me why!!  Thanks for sharing!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    OhSewCraftyOhSewCrafty member
    edited February 2014
    Thanks everyone!! :) There are so many awareness days out there for things that are obviously serious and important, but these conditions are so unknown there is hardly any research or public knowledge about them. 

The thing that scares me the most is how few people, including doctors, are aware of her condition in a way that they could jump in and save her if need be. The more people know about this, the better!

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

• Options
    Sonya and I will be wearing jeans for Ginny! We'll be wearing jeans for my husband too since Hemophilia B is on the rare disease list. I just told him about this, and he's all excited that he has a ribbon representing him; he didn't know about Rare Disease Day.

Genetic diseases suck because there can never be a cure (you can't exactly go and change your entire genetic makeup), but the good thing is that scientists are always working on new treatments. My husband's really fortunate because a clotting factor medication was invented while he was still rather young, so he doesn't have to get human plasma transfusions anymore. There's also a new cutting-edge treatment (still in development) that uses modified viruses to produce the clotting factor in the body of a hemophiliac, so instead of having to treat himself two or three times a week, he could go get this treatment and it would last for several months.
    My husband is ineligible for this treatment (he also has hepatitis C--had an infected plasma transfusion when he was really little), but there's hope that it can pave the way for more treatments.
    Science is so freaking cool...
    Anniversary  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Sonya and I will be wearing jeans for Ginny! We'll be wearing jeans for my husband too since Hemophilia B is on the rare disease list. I just told him about this, and he's all excited that he has a ribbon representing him; he didn't know about Rare Disease Day.

Genetic diseases suck because there can never be a cure (you can't exactly go and change your entire genetic makeup), but the good thing is that scientists are always working on new treatments. My husband's really fortunate because a clotting factor medication was invented while he was still rather young, so he doesn't have to get human plasma transfusions anymore. There's also a new cutting-edge treatment (still in development) that uses modified viruses to produce the clotting factor in the body of a hemophiliac, so instead of having to treat himself two or three times a week, he could go get this treatment and it would last for several months.
    My husband is ineligible for this treatment (he also has hepatitis C--had an infected plasma transfusion when he was really little), but there's hope that it can pave the way for more treatments.
    Science is so freaking cool...
    Science is so freaking cool. That is unfortunate that your husband can't get the treatment, but its amazing what they can do for some of these diseases now. 

• Options
    Thanks for sharing, OSC. We will definitely all be in jeans tomorrow!

• Options
    Thx fr sharing. I had previously looked it up based on your siggy but your blog helped me understand how it impacts both Ginny and your family. My G and I will be sporting our jeans for your G tomorrow!!
  • Options
    Done and done!
  • Options
    Proudly sporting my jeans in a non-jean environment.  Already had the opportunity to explain the day to a few people.  As a "retired" geneticist I am glad there is an organization getting the word out.
  • Options
    I had to look at your blog to learn about this disorder - I'd never heard of it before.  James is in jeans today, and I'm currently in yoga pants because I'm not leaving the house, but if i do, I'll be in jeans!  Damn, wish I had Pajama jeans! :-)

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    B, my mom and I will all be wearing jeans to the Met today :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"