August 2014 Moms

/\/Thursday Health & Fitness Check-in\/\

All are welcomed to share your health/fitness goals during pregnancy. Write about any successes and challenges you had during the week or ask any health related questions you have.  This check-in is meant to help encourage us on our healthy pregnancy goals   So, how did you all do this week? Did you keep to your goals or get sidetracked by pregnancy/life?

There's been a lot of talk on the board about kegels vs. squats.  To give options, I'm starting a squat/leg challenge this week as well.  This challenge has a variety of squat and butt moves to break up the monotony and could be considered intermediate or advanced.  You can modify by dropping the weight or breaking it up throughout the day.  It's up to you if you want to do one or the other, both, or none.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Health/Fitness Goal (if this is your first check-in):
How Far Along Are you:
Questions?:
Week's Successes/Challenges:
Kegel/Squat Challenge Progress:
GTKY: Are you craving anything in the 2nd Tri?

Kegel Challenge Week 3 - Hold It
This week we are going to be practicing endurance.  For each kegel that you do (using the same reps as in week 2), hold the kegel contraction for 5 seconds. Keeping the number of reps the same as week 2, increase the time you hold the exercise as long as you can. 

This week follow days 1-7.  Omit the weight if necessary and split up throughout the day if you need to.  Make sure you are following proper squat form: knees stay behind ankles, pushing through the heal, head up, chest high.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your Goals!
@*Merry* -  to stay fit and keep up with my workouts... 
@4PrivetDrive - I plan on continuing with my running plan throughout pregnancy. My goal is to build up to 30m of running.
@Alaska_Bride -  To stay in shape throughout pregnancy/hopefully not gain too much weight. 
@BlckRoses - I would like to stay active and not gain any extra weight during this pregnancy
@belle785 -  To gain a healthy amount of weight and stay active as much as possible throughout the whole pregnancy.
@chase16 - Maintain a healthy weight throughout my pregnancy, workout/run as long as I can, and eat healthy
@Chelly8702 - Only gain the weight that is recommended for me.
@Chicky0727 - To maintain a healthy weight during my pregnancy and to eat healthier.
@dadriana -  I would really like to keep my gain around 3-5 lbs in the first trimester... I'd prefer to stay within the suggested 25-35 overall.
@Daisylola11 - I would love to hit the gym at least 3x a week. I'm hoping to also gain just the weight I need to. I would like to tone up and build stamina and eat healthier! 
@discohiker - Do another half marathon in May (like I did with pregnancy one) and keep jogging up until the last month (like I did in pregnancy one).  
@flip_flops - Current goal is to gain 5lbs or less during 1st trimester.  Overall my goal is not to gain 40lbs and be very inactive like last time.
@FrodaBaggins -  To stay healthy and fit, control my weight gain, stick to my low-sugar diet, and continue training for my second degree black belt in kung fu which I am due to test for in December.
@GinnyJ2012 - Keep active throughout pregnancy and low weight gain (20 lbs goal)…  aiming for endurance and strength to help me this time [through labor]. 
@happylady07 - to continue running, hopefully compete the beach cities challenge I had planned on next year... we will see!  
@HeatherHam10 - My goal is to eat healthy, keep my weight gain between 25-40 lbs, and add in strength training to my workouts.
@jdowns85 - My goal is to do some sort of exercise at least 3x per week and continue to eat healthy and nutritional. 
@katater - To gain a healthy amount of weight (25-30 lbs). I also want to continue working out the whole pregnancy so it is easier to get back into a workout routine postpartum. 
@kestess - maintain as much of my current fitness as possible and gain a healthy amount of weight. 
@kdaugherty4 - to stay active and healthy during my pregnancy for an easier labor and healthy baby
@kraft333 - Maintain a healthy weight, be strong for labor and love my pregnant body. 
@LollyDoll428 - Get in some sort of daily activity and make healthier food choices.
@LadyAle - To remain active during pregnancy and limit weight gain
@ljraff29 - stay healthy and fit and control weight gain throughout my pregnancy
@mahagerty -  Keep up my running, finish 5k/10k I'm signed up for, stay healthy!
@MamaValley - To stay active for the duration of my pregnancy.
@mandyjimmy - To go to the gym at least 4 times a week and walk the dog everyday (weather permitting)
@mdarmetko - Stay fit to help labor. I'd also like to keep running as long as I can.
@mdooley13 - To stay in shape and minimize weight gain during pregnancy.  I want to be a strong, fit mama :D
@meggyski -  Get my body ready for a natural birth, maintain my weight 1st trimester, keep my blood sugar in check.
@mhbraymer - To gain as little as possible and to exercise and eat healthy.
@MsGrace2003 - I want to stay in shape throughout this pregnancy.  I want to work out 3-4 times a week and eat healthy, nourishing foods.  I hope that staying fit will help this labor to be much less traumatic than last time.
@ninthgirl - To stay active
@NSAbby - My goal is to stay FFD (fit for duty) as long as possible.  To include staying on my feet 12hrs, and being able to lift 40lbs.
@Pink021  - Veggies at 3 meals and exercise at least 30min/5 days
@Poppy1985 - To do some type of purposeful workout 3x a week (moderate lifting, elliptical, swim, etc.) and walk the other days.
@potterowl - Be as fit as is healthy. Be strong for L and D
@Rach604 - I would like to maintain my pre-pregnancy weight or below during 1st tri and only gain a healthy amount during 2nd and 3rd tri.  Planning to continue doing kettlebells 2x/week as long as my doctor allows, hope to do some weight lifting and walking at the gym on my own.
@Rosebean - my goal is to not gain as much weight as the last pregnancy. 
@rstarrlemaitre - Stay as fit as I am now. 
@RunningJ - To make conscious healthy choices, and by running/staying active as much as possible through pregnancy
@Scaura - To start yoga in the second tri and to keep a strict, health diet.
@ShadowsRainFalls - To maintain weight in the first tri, and to continue to exercise all through pregnancy.
@SoSayWeAll - To stay active and keep as much of my fitness(Crossfit) as I can. Minimize weight gain(mostly by watching my diet) 
@stoofewok -  I figure if I can get my ass in gear at least every other day (or more), I'm ok with that.
@Str31 -  I want to gain only a healthy amount of weight and stay in shape.
@theteno - My goal is to stay healthy in general by eating as well as I can, taking walks, and I want to sign up for a prenatal yoga class.
@TrishieTerp - Keep running and racing, keep mileage around 30 mpw
@zoegirlTX - Keep moving & keep running throughout my PG.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image  image
BFP 5/08/13 -- EDD 1/15/14 -- slow hb@7wks d&c 6/07/13
BFP 8/12/13 -- EDD 4/20/14 -- no fetal pole @7wksnatural m/c 9/16/13, cytotec 10/17 & 10/22
BFP 11/26/13 -- EDD 8/07/14 -- Born 7/24/14!

Re: /\/Thursday Health & Fitness Check-in\/\

• How Far Along Are you: 17 weeks!
    Questions?: Is anyone else freaking out about weight gain?  I've gained 10lbs already!  I feel like it's going all to my butt.
    Week's Successes/Challenges: I've managed to be active each day, even if it's just taking the dogs on a mile walk. 6 days of walking (9 miles), only 2 days of running (5 miles), 4 days of strength training, 1 yoga workout.  Running has definitely taken a hit, but it may be the crazy wind we've had that's made it so hard.
    Kegel/Squat Challenge Progress: I can't ever remember to do kegels, and when I do remember I get bored too easily.  I'll start the squat challenge today. 
    GTKY: Are you craving anything in the 2nd Tri? Carrots with Italian dressing.

image  image
    BFP 8/12/13 -- EDD 4/20/14 -- no fetal pole @7wksnatural m/c 9/16/13, cytotec 10/17 & 10/22
  • zoegirlTX said:
    Week's Successes/Challenges:  Ran monday & did yoga class!  It was tougher than I'd remembered, even thought I've been doing some poses at home.  Don't know how long I'll be able to do the hot hatha class...but will keep trying.  Rained yesterday morning, so I skipped my workouts & I'm being a bum...so nada Tue/Wed/Thrs.  Hoping to do 10+ miles again tomorrow & hit the bike again this Saturday.  My body is finally changing (externally) & I"m a bit freaked out- I've got a tummy & I'm putting on a few lbs!
    How hot is your Hatha class?  My yoga studio is a heated studio, but they have non-heated prental classes.  The studio, my OB, and my previous midwife told me not to do the heated classes while pregnant.  Is your class not that hot?

image  image
  • Loading the player...
  • potterowl Where are you doing Barre?  Did you find a prenatal class around here?

image  image
  • Health/Fitness Goal (if this is your first check-in): Joining in!! My overall goal is to keep my weight gain down to 40 lbs or less. Might seem high for some, but I gained 60 with DS. Also, I want to do a few (let's say 3) 5k's this spring/summer. I might not be running the entire way, but I'll feel great to be active and pregnant!
    How Far Along Are you: 16w1d
    Questions?: Sorry if this has already been discussed! I'm wondering about abdominal work. I've stopped doing sit-ups/cruches, but what other types of core-work are you ladies doing? I'm thinking planks might be a good alternative.
    Week's Successes/Challenges: I power walked a 5k last night while chatting with a pregnant friend. She left early, so I decided to jog the last part out. I've jogged a few other times in the last couple of weeks, but this time was different. I felt lots of cramping around my belly. I decided to stop because I was uncomfortable and the dude next to me had WAY too much cologne on. I'm hoping to get back tonight for a walk/jog combo...assuming no discomfort. 
    Kegel/Squat Challenge Progress: Nada yet!
    GTKY: Are you craving anything in the 2nd Tri? No specific cravings, but I'm not doing great with my diet. I think the first tri really screwed me because I was feeling so sick that I physcially couldn't cook. I ended up making quick and mostly unhealthy decisions. Unfortunately, that habit hasn't changed much. I need to get back to mostly balanced meals and prepping my lunches so I don't make a fast-food decision every day!!
  • Questions?: Sorry if this has already been discussed! I'm wondering about abdominal work. I've stopped doing sit-ups/cruches, but what other types of core-work are you ladies doing? I'm thinking planks might be a good alternative.
    Someone posted a similar question last week.  Here was my response:  I asked my doctor about ab workouts.  She said I can do abs throughout my whole pregnancy, but to stop doing abs on my back when it becomes uncomfortable to crunch.  I'm almost there.  Besides planks (and many variations of planks) you can incorporate your core with cat/dog, balancing exercises, boat poses, and many staple moves (squats, bridge, lunges, etc...).  Hope that helps!

image  image
  • mdarmetko!

How Far Along Are you: 17 weeks 3 days
    Questions?:
    Week's Successes/Challenges: My bladder!! Oh my god, this is probably the last week I'm going to be able to get through my cardio without stopping halfway to pee, and I hate stopping mid-workout. Anyone else having this problem? Aside from that challenge, all 5 workouts this week were good.
    Kegel/Squat Challenge Progress: Er... better than last week anyway. I remembered to do 4 sets of 30 kegels on 3 days. I forgot the other 4 days. Going for all 7 this week!
    GTKY: Are you craving anything in the 2nd Tri? Oddly no, and my aversions have all passed with one exception - I think I have given myself a permanent aversion to olives.

image    image
  • Questions?: My prenatal workouts aren't as strenuous as I was used to pre-pregnancy.  The particular one I'm doing (a Barre workout) focuses more on strength.  There are days when I don't even break a sweat, but they do make me pretty sore.  My OB told me not to let my heart rate get above a certain number, but, of course, I forget what the number was.  How strenuous are your workouts?  Have you toned it down for pregnancy?  I want to be sure that I'm doing what's best for my body.  I don't want to overwork it, but I want to work hard enough to do some good.
    My workouts are WAY less intense than they were pre-pregnancy.  My pre-preg workouts were very high intensity: strength training was High Intensity Interval Training and I was pushing myself to breathlessness, my running workouts were speed workouts or tempo runs or longer runs and usually 6-10 miles.  I had 2 miscarriages last year,  so I was pretty cautious this time around.  I haven't run over 5 miles and my easy pace has gone from 8:15 to about 9:45.  I don't allow myself to get breathless with weight training so I take a lot more breaks than normal.  I do a Tracy Anderson Pregnancy DVD and in the Month 4 DVD she said something that made sense to me.  I don't know the exact quote but she was talking about keeping our arms in shape and said something to the effect of: If we keep our arms somewhat in shape now, it will be a lot easier to get back once your Dr clears you for exercise post-baby.  For now, we have to let some of the results go now though because we need to get that nutrients to the baby.  

Looking back at your goal you posted, think of the labor as what you are training for.  Strong muscular endurance to help in the delivery process.  

I have to admit though, it is humbling to see the limitations of my body.  I'm trying to cope with it as best as possible.  I can't wait to get back to the "kick my ass" workouts I was doing beforehand, but for now I have to remember I'm training for a whole different kind of marathon now.

image  image
  • How Far Along Are you: 13w5
    Questions?: answers. @mdarmetko, yes. I am/was freaking out about gain gain.. I have gained about 5lbs so far, and since my bump is still bloat, I am a little insecure about my pants no longer fitting. However, I did pretty well this week with eating healthy and working out, so I feel better.
    Week's Successes/Challenges: I actually worked out 5/7 days this week, so I feel pretty good. Also cooked healthy for all but 2 days, so I consider this week a success.
    Kegel/Squat Challenge Progress: I am excited to start squats.. I did squats on Tues when I worked out.. and couldn't walk yesterday. I am very out of shape from what I used to be when I crossfitted regularly. Or maybe the pregnancy makes you weaker? lol
    GTKY: Are you craving anything in the 2nd Tri? Everything bagels with cream cheese. This seems to be an almost universal pregnancy craving lol. Also sushi. All the time.
  • I'm 17 weeks yesterday, and I'm maintaining my cardio/weightlifting workout, but I've been so tired lately it's hard to get excited about working out. I did introduce planking into my workout, because any other ab workout is uncomfortable now.

Also, I'm learning that Kegels are hard! I seriously underestimated the difficulty level, but it's fun to try.

Maybe this is weird, but I'm starting to feel a little uncomfortable in my own body. I was never really skinny, but I had a fit, flat tummy that I was proud of pre-baby. Now 4 months in, I just always look like I ate an enormous meal, and my love handles are more pronounced. Being a dancer/gymnast/cheerleader from a young age, it was natural for me to be body-conscious, and it's frustrating that I can't let go of that mentality, even when I tell myself there's an avocado-sized human taking up space in there.
    And then I go and grab another girl scout cookie or five...
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • How Far Along Are you: Almost 15 weeks
    Questions?: I think I am going to need some maternity workout pants soon - any suggestions on brands or places to buy?  I am plus size so that complicates things...
    Week's Successes/Challenges: I was relatively good this week, lots of shoveling and kept up with my kettlebells
    Kegel/Squat Challenge Progress: I've been doing lots of squats!  Not really following the challenges, though
    GTKY: Are you craving anything in the 2nd Tri? Nope.  Still not much appetite, still losing weight.
    TTC #1 since 2/2013
    BFP 12/9/13!  Adeline Rose born 8/21/14

imageimage

Anniversary
  • How Far Along Are you: 16 weeks!
    Questions?: Nah, feeling great. 
    Week's Successes/Challenges: I made time to hit the gym and walk outside, even when I really didn't have time. And was so glad I did. 
    Kegel/Squat Challenge Progress: I'm excited to do more squats, thanks for this challenge! 
    GTKY: Are you craving anything in the 2nd Tri? Cravings have lessened since 1st Tri, but I still love me some rocky road ice cream. Trying to move toward fewer simple carbs, more veg. 

• Health/Fitness Goal (if this is your first check-in): I gained more weight than I wanted to already, so my goal from now is to really watch what I'm eating and continue to gain healthfully. I dont have a bad diet, but I've been eatin a lot high protein all-natural foods (which are high calorie too). And try to get to the gym more.
    How Far Along Are you: 18 weeks
    Questions?: I'm up 15 freaking pounds already!!!!! Anyone else suddenly step on a scale and have an "oh shit" moment??
    Week's Successes/Challenges: I weighed in a lot more than I expected. And between my work schedule and horredous weather, getting to the gym has been difficult. I have a pregnancy Pilates DVD but I still need the gym. Though I was able to get to the gym 3x this week :) which is more than usual.
    Kegel/Squat Challenge Progress: just started...
    GTKY: Are you craving anything in the 2nd Tri?
    Chocolate (unforunately) and fruit -
  • sswedborg said:
    Questions?: I'm up 15 freaking pounds already!!!!! Anyone else suddenly step on a scale and have an "oh shit" moment?? 
    Yup! me! (see my question from this week).  I'm 17 weeks and up 10-12 lbs.  It's freaking me out a bit.

image  image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"