Stay at Home Moms

S/o BFing - Extended BFers...

...when did you start giving WCM? DS eats three meals a day and I still nurse on demand, so I know he's getting enough milk. His pedi said I could start giving him some with meals, but do I need to if he's still nursing?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: S/o BFing - Extended BFers...

• You don't need to, as long as he's getting the milk he needs from you. DD started weaning herself around 14 months, and that's when I introduced WCM, because I knew she wasn't getting enough from me anymore. As long as he's bfing well I wouldn't worry about it, unless you just want to for funsies :) 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• I nursed until about 16 months. She got one 7 oz cup of WCM a day from about 13 months til we weaned. She gets 2 cups now. If you're nursing on demand and your LO gets dairy/calcium from other sources, there's no reason why you have to give WCM.
  • Loading the player...
  • I added in WCM to my breast milk stash and gave it to him in a bottle as one of his feedings. But I was also trying to wean from breastfeeding.

We started a couple of days before his one year appt.

• it's a replacement/substitute for human milk so no, you don't *need* to.  it's really only  useful as a source of fat & calcium. DS just weaned at christmas (at 2/5 yo)) & we still haven't offered WCM. he gets lots of cheese, full fat yogurt, & broccoli. our pedi was fine with it.
  • You certainly don't 'need' to, your milk is made for your baby so it will always be superior to any other kind of milk.

I started doing WCM for DD when I dropped from 3 nursing sessions down to 2 around 15 months or so.  She would get one sippy of milk at night.  When I fully weaned at 20 months she started getting 3 cups of milk a day.  I haven't started doing WCM with DS, I still nurse him 3 sometimes 4 times a day. 
  • aggiecyd said:
    We introduced it when she was 1, but I also don't feel it's necessary. It's not a consistent part of her diet, and she's never had more than a couple of ounces a day. I just weaned her completely a few weeks ago. Our old pedi was completely supportive; the new one looked at me like I was abusing my daughter by "denying" her milk. That's just one of the many reasons we're looking for a new pedi. She does eat cheese & yogurt regularly though.
    I just don't get that reaction!  How could something that is made for a calf be superior to what is made by you for your child?!  I don't have a problem with milk at all, we are a dairy loving household, but it just defies all logic to think breastmilk suddenly loses its nutritional value at the one year mark!
  • Thanks for all these responses, I think I won't rush into giving it to him, since he's still nursing quite a bit and also gets dairy from eating a fair amount of cheese and yogurt. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something, since his pedi said he should be getting cow's milk now.
  • DS1 is lactose intolerant (as am I), so we've done away with most cow's milk in our house anyhow. He weaned around age 2 and had some milk here and there when my stash ran out for daycare. DS2 is over a year now and still nursing. Since I'm home, no need to really give him a cup most of the time. I have yet to introduce any liquids other than some water here and there to him. He did get a sip of chocolate milk the other day just because he stole DS1's cup and I had bought some special treat chocolate milk. Good day to steal a cup. ;) I agree cow's milk is for baby cows and not necessary to the human diet at all.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"