August 2014 Moms

Elective 3D Ultrasounds

jenniferursjenniferurs member
edited February 2014 in August 2014 Moms
Anyone have one at 15 weeks and, if so, how successful were you/the tech at discovering the sex of the baby?
I'm being featured in a new pregnancy/motherhood blog during the month of October, so if you ever wanted to know more about my pregnancy, birth, and motherhood experiences than anyone ever should, check out my posts in the link below! :)

Re: Elective 3D Ultrasounds

• sarahg8rsarahg8r member
    edited February 2014
    I'm getting my anatomy scan at 18 weeks, so I'll find out the gender then. But I do plan to have an elective 3D ultrasound, although I was told to wait closer to 27 weeks in order to get good images of baby.

IAmPregnant Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP - 01/04/2016; EDD - 09/15/2016 DS #1 - 07/2014
  • gonzol said:

We're doing one on Monday at 14+2 I believe. We'll conform at my anatomy scan in a few weeks. I'll get back to you. I'm fairly confident if this baby cooperates, we might be able to get a good shot.

Though. Judging by my nt scan.. This kid is a riot already.

Awesome! I have my elective next week at exactly 15 weeks. Really hoping to get a good shot, because I have zero patience and want to know :)
    I'm being featured in a new pregnancy/motherhood blog during the month of October, so if you ever wanted to know more about my pregnancy, birth, and motherhood experiences than anyone ever should, check out my posts in the link below! :)

• Loading the player...
  • 2D or 3D, I believe that early they only do 2D. Check the studio's website.

Anyway, they are pretty accurate but I would check yelp for reviews first.

Even if they seem pretty confident though I wouldn't go make any major purchases.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Oh and to the above. There are places that charge way less then $120 plus offer a free return if baby does cooperate so look around
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• jenniferursjenniferurs member
    edited February 2014

On the flip side-we had one last week at 16w2d and our baby wouldn't cooperate, which is no one's fault. But seriously, if I could go back I wouldn't have wasted $120 on it. I'd maybe be more inclined to do it later when we can get a better image of the baby, but I wish I would have saved the money and waited for our a/s. Just my opinion after being disappointed and having to try again this weekend, so obviously do what feels right to you. I hope that helps!

Oh wow, for $120, I'd be disappointed too! Luckily, the places around here only charge $59, so it's not quite as bad. They also let you come back for free if the baby's position prevents them from seeing anything the first time.

• I don't full understand the technology but during my NT scan the tech could push a button and switch between 2D and 3D, so we were able to see both views of the baby and were given photos of each. I was only 14 weeks, so we didn't try and see the sex.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Daisylola11Daisylola11 member
    edited February 2014
    I only went with 2D for the sex reveal, although baby is pretty developed they are still small and skinny so 3D is recommended for third tri. 

We decided not to do it as it creeps us out lol I don't want an image of my baby to be creepy before I deliver, I can see some scary dreams developing from that! And it's only $65 here (includes pictures and video of a 10min session)

Edit: wanted to add that we had ours at 16weeks and it was very obvious it was a boy, it depends on baby's position but his parts were obviously developed lol
                                        Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• MeganEMcG5MeganEMcG5 member
    edited February 2014

I had my elective at 15 weeks exactly. I was told by them that 2D is the ONLY way to see anatomy. She did show us a little bit in 3D which was cool, but it was obvious that there would be no way to tell sex from that view.

ETA: It did take awhile for baby to get in the right position. I think the "tech" was close to sending us away, but it was my 30th birthday so she was extra patient with us and baby. Still, I wonder if our 20 week a/s will confirm that it's still a girl!

• Where I live it's around $80 for a basic 3D ultrasound at a standalone imaging facility and $200 if you want a dvd of the ultrasound and extra prints. Unfortunately, we don't get video at our OB due to legal reasons.

IAmPregnant Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BFP - 01/04/2016; EDD - 09/15/2016 DS #1 - 07/2014
  • I got a scan at 14w3d and we had a hard time with sex until literally the last minute we got a clear boy shot. I will let you know how accurate it is after my anatomy scan. And FYI, the baby just looks like an alien in 3d at this age and she could only do the sex determination in regular. So if all you want is to find out the sex, I would go with the cheaper "gender" reveal packages in 2d.
    Pregnancy Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"