December 2012 Moms
Options

starting daycare next week

dd is starting daycare next week and I am starting at my internship/new job. I am so nervous! I'm not only worrying about all the stuff I have to get done but also how she is going to handle it. It is only going to be 2 days a week until june and then she goes full time. I am so nervous that she is not going to sleep and be a wreck all day. She is used to sleeping in a quiet dark room in a crib and in daycare they use cots. I just picture her getting out of the cot every 2 seconds. I am also afraid that she is going to be looking for me all day because I am leaving her with a bunch of people she doesn't know. Also, I hate how they have to wear their shoes all day and the floor is tile. I hope she eats what I pack for her that day too. 

I know these are probably things most parents worry about when sending their kid to daycare. Any advice or tips are appreciated!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: starting daycare next week

• Options

My biggest tip is to get as much ready the night before as you can.  After she goes to bed, we normally "make" sippy cuts (pouring milk into cups), get her lunch and snacks together, and put them all in a thermal tote in the fridge.  If she needs diapers or wipes or cream, we also get those together in a plastic bag and hang it on the door.  It helps a lot in the morning since we're so often running late.

It was a rough transition for us (DD started at 12 weeks), but she caught onto the routine there pretty quickly.  She has her own crib there and naps amongst the craziness.  She was also amazingly okay with things that I thought were going to be huge issues - like wearing shoes all the time or eating with everyone else.  The people at daycare have been through it with newbies a ton of times and they know how to teach them stuff like sleeping on cots.  I really think that it's tougher on us than them.  Good luck and hang in there.

imageimage

• Options
    It is a hard transition, but it will work out.

For the shoes, can she wear slippers instead? When DS was in dc that's what he wore. I think wearing the same shoes you wear outside is gross.

She might get up off of the cot the first few times, but she will catch on quickly.

imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It is a hard transition, but it will work out. For the shoes, can she wear slippers instead? When DS was in dc that's what he wore. I think wearing the same shoes you wear outside is gross. She might get up off of the cot the first few times, but she will catch on quickly.
    I was thinking of buying her some of those indoor shoes but I need to find ones with grips. 

• Options
    I cried all the way to work when I left DS for the first time, with my neighbor and friend from middle school. I knew he'd be safe, have fun, etc. but still bawled my eyes out. When we switch to a daycare when a spot opened up, I cried again like it was the first time. Same thing when we fired our nanny and went back to daycare, which DS now loves! 

Its always so hard to leave them somewhere new but they do adjust and will be so happy to see you when you pick them up, its kinda worth it.
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    image image image
  • Options
    is it possible to do a half/whole day(s) prior to the actual start of your classes? Would give you a chance to start the schedule, run errands, and work through the first "I am leaving my baby elsewhere" feelings prior to starting your first day of classes (you'll still have the feeling, however I found it less stressful that way). Plus if something got forgotten, you'll be able to take care of it.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    is it possible to do a half/whole day(s) prior to the actual start of your classes? Would give you a chance to start the schedule, run errands, and work through the first "I am leaving my baby elsewhere" feelings prior to starting your first day of classes (you'll still have the feeling, however I found it less stressful that way). Plus if something got forgotten, you'll be able to take care of it.
    Unfortunately we can't start early because we pay by month and we both start on the first tuesday of the month. I am having my mom pick her up a little early though on her first day because dh has a work dinner we have to go to, so I am hoping this will help if she doesn't sleep there. 

• Options
    My dirty trick is to have DH do the drop off.  That way, I say good-bye at home and it doesn't tear my heart out.  It will be hard at first but your DD will probably really like hanging with the other kiddos, even if it takes a little to adjust.  My other tip is to do the drop off like ripping off a band-aid: as quickly as possible.  Do not linger.  That way, it gives them less time to get upset, if they are going to.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    yea im so bummed that i have to do the drop offs and dh gets to do the pickups because he gets of work earlier, so not fair. 

• Options
    yea im so bummed that i have to do the drop offs and dh gets to do the pickups because he gets of work earlier, so not fair. 

That's how we do it too.  It's not bad after the first week or so.  I agree though that it's better as a quick in & out.  I always give her a hug and hold her for a second, but then pass her off to her teacher and head out.  If I waited until she was distracted and happy playing, some mornings, I'd be there for a while... not because she's unhappy there, but some mornings, she's not quite awake and feeling it.

imageimage

• Options
    It will be harder on you than it it on her. It will take some time for her to adjust but, but she will enjoy her time at daycare with her friends. We never had this issue because DD was young when she started, but if she cries don't linger when you drop her off. You will have the urge not to leave, but it just makes it harder for her. You'll be amazed at how quickly DD picks up the routine from the other kids. You'll also be amazed with all the new things she learns. Good luck tomorrow.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Options
    Thanks everyone for all the helpful advice! DD finally started daycare today due to snow and being closed earlier this week and she did great. She even slept there and only cried during diaper changes due to an intense fear of the changing table cause we always change her on the floor. I have gone back to using the changing table in her room to get her used to it. Leaving her today was definitely harder on me than her but I know it will all be worth it in the long run. 

• Options
    Oh that's great news!  I have been wanting to ask but kept forgetting to post, sorry it's been crazy here.  I'm happy to hear that she's adjusting well and good to hear that you are moving to the changing table to help her get used to it.  

We Made A Wish....

And You Came True!

• Options
    That is great that she is doing well with the change!
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"