Multiples
Options

Baby Showers

mer313131mer313131 member
edited February 2014 in Multiples
Hi there, a couple friends mentioned throwing me a sprinkle or small shower. I had a baby shower with DD and she is now almost 19 months. I feel like it is considered tacky to have a 2nd shower so soon after the first, but are the "rules" different when you are having twins? Be honest, I can handle it! We have mostly gender neutral stuff for one, but nothing for the second obviously. We are not dirt poor but are certainly worried about finances (like most people with incoming twins, probably!). Thanks!

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

BFP#1: 11/20/11, EDD 7/25/12, Emily Iris arrived 7/29/12 at 7 lb., 3.5 oz.

BFP#2: 8/25/13, EDD 5/4/14, MMC confirmed on 9/23/13, D&C on 9/26/13

BFP#3: 2/3/14, EDD 10/15/14, fraternal TWINS confirmed 2/21/14, two BOYS confirmed on 4/15/14!

Re: Baby Showers

• Options
    Having twins or a different gender baby is reason for second showeres with my family & friends. Due to some legal stuff my husband was going through, I opted to decline having a shower. Everyone was disappointed & always asking when it was going to be. Everyone was assuming we woukd have one. My dd was 28 mo when my b/g where born.
  • Options
    jocie2581jocie2581 member
    edited February 2014
    I am anti second shower. Though pro baby meeting party after the munchkins arrive.
                         My fraternal twin boys. Born Sept 2013.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    LittleLady77LittleLady77 member
    edited February 2014
    Etiquette says no showers of any kind for 2nd babies but honestly I wouldn't care that much. If you want a small sprinkle go for it. I probably wouldn't list registry info in the invite or anything but give it to your host if people ask her. It should be about the celebration not the gifts. Other options are beer and diaper parties (co ed) or a sip and see after the babies are born.

imageimageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I personally do not think showers are appropriate for any child other than the first. My BFF had a "sprinkle" (she threw herself - yikes) for her second and her reasoning was that her second baby was a different sex and she needed stuff. However, the point of any baby shower is to welcome the mom to motherhood, not to get stuff. I think a sprinkle and shower are the same thing.

Just MHO. But I wouldn't judge anyone for doing it - it really isn't any of my business, I would just politely decline the invite and would not purchase a gift. I would however send a card after the baby(ies) birth and a small gift depending how clsoe I am to the person.

Me: 37 DH: 40 TTC since 9/09
    #1 BFP 1/10/11; missed m/c discovered 7w5d
    IF Dx: Endo, hetero MTHFR mutation, poor morphology
    #1 IUI: 1/18/12 = BFN
    #1 IVF/ICSI 4/2/12 = 2 x 7-cell and 1 x 5-cell transferred (3dt) = BFP!!
    H was born at 41w2d on 12/29/12 - be still my heart!
    #2 IVF/ICSI 1/19/14 = 2 x 8 cells transferred (3dt) = BFP!! EDD 10/09/14
    M&W born at 37 weeks on 9/18/14 - I am the momma of 3 boys!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In my IRL world, second showers are nbd. My ILs have a large, close knit family and my MIL offered to host a get together prior to the babies' birth. They live 5hrs away and I couldn't find a time to do it since work was insanely busy, so we ended up not doing one. Everyone ended up mailing gifts after the babies were born.

I expressly declined a meet the baby party afterwards. They are preemies and the last thing I wanted was dozens of people all up in their business. Especially since we were creeping up on cold/flu season. No thank you.

• Options
    I think a Sip and See or a more co-ed adult cocktail party would be perfectly fine.  A full blown baby shower might be a bit much for a second pregnancy.  Also, feel out what your friends and family are thinking.  Maybe they all want to have another baby shower for you.  My family are always looking for excuses to throw parties and love to shop for baby things.
  • Options
    If your friends really want to throw it, then I don't think it's a big deal. They want to celebrate you. If you were throwing it- tacky.
    One of my friends threw my one for when I had ds (I already had dd two years prior) and when I had the twins. I really, really didn't want either and fought her so much. But she was just really excited for my family. I told everyone- no gifts just come and have a party. I didn't know what to do...
  • Options
    I am having a 2nd work shower, but not because I wanted to. My boss is super excited for us and wants to do it because we're having 2 girls this time; they also threw me one when I had DS, but that turned into a "meet the baby shower" because he came the Friday before the scheduled shower (it ended up getting pushed back though).

I tried to decline her doing a second one because I thought it was tacky and almost greedy, but she wouldn't take no for an answer. DH's work is also doing a shower, again because they want to not because we did.

If someone else really wants to do it, then go for it. I would not throw one myself though, that is tacky & greedy.

TTC #1 since December 2009
    IVF #1 - 6/2 Start Stims 6/14 ER 6/19 ET (2 embies transferred) BFP 6/27/11! Beta #1 87 Beta #2 197!! 1st U/S 7/19 (5 embies in storage!)
    7/19/11 -- One Beautiful Heart Beat!!
    It's a BOY!!

Jack Austin born at 37w; 2/10/2012

Working on Baby #2; FET scheduled for 1/8/2013!!! Cancelled due to nasty flu sickness :(
    FET 1.0 re-scheduled for 2/26/13! -- BFN
    FET #2 scheduled for May 2013 -- BFN
    Onto IVF #2....scheduled for June 2013, cancelled due to high estrogen levels
    IVF 2.1 re-scheduled for Sept. 2013 ER 9/26. ET 10/1 (2 transferred, 1 in storage). BFP 10/10 beta #1 105, beta #2 255
    Ultrasound 11/1 -- TWINS!!
    Both Girls!! <br>

Harper Grace & Hailey Ryann born at 33w6d; 5/8/2014!

• Options
    I have been to several 2nd showers in situations where it was baby #5 but first girl after 4 boys or surprise twins after being "done" and having tubes tied. It was no big deal imo and the baby shower police did not show up ;) If someone has offered and you want one, go ahead. If people think its tacky, they dont have to come. You really dont need a 2nd of everything, but it would probably be nice to get a head start on diapers and people love picking out twin oufits which you will probably receive a lot of. Congrats, Mama!

IVF #1 Sep '11 - canceled poor response

IVF #2 Nov '11  8R/8M/4F 3dt x2 - chemical

IVF #3 April '12  11R/6M/4F 3dt x2 - m/c

FET #1 Aug 2012  3dt x2 - BFN

**new RE**

IVF #4 Jan '13 BFN 11R/6M/6F 5dt x2 - BFN

IVF #5 July '13 16R/10M/10F 5dt x2 + 1 frostie

9dp5dt Beta 1 = 344!! 16dp5dt. Beta 2 = 4822 7wk u/s= 2 heartbeats!

Twin girls! 3/6/14

• Options
    My mom asked if I wanted a second shower - I declined. 2 groups of very close friends are each hosting a "sprinkle' of sorts for me, but it's mostly just time for us to hang out as friends. One is this weekend: massages, hair blow outs and dinner, the other one at the end of March is just lunch at a local tea shop. And it's only with these respective groups of friends.

My work and DH's work are also hosting small luncheon showers for us, but both our offices do this for any baby (1st, 2nd, or 3rd+) that are born at our companies.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am not having a second shower. I wouldn't want one and I don't want my family and friends to spend money they don't have.

I am sure when people come and meet the girls they may bring clothes or diapers which would be wonderful!

Ella - 10/19/10
    Julia and Aubrey - 4/3/14

• Options
    I think a meet the babies would be better than a shower. I had my shower after the girls were born anyway b/c I ended up on BR for 4.5 weeks.

Ticker/Siggy Warning:  Children and losses mentioned

TTC #1 since 7/2011
    ME: 37  DH: 38
    SA-12/28/11-normal
    HSG-1/16/12-possible blocked left tube
    BFP#1---CP 7/9/12
    Hysteroscopy-8/9/12-blocked left tube for sure, proceeding with IUI#1
    IUI#1 (Gonal-F + trigger)=BFP#2 m/c @ 19w1d D&E 1/23/13
    IUI #2 (Gonal F + trigger)=BFP#3 EDD 1/6/14 TWINS!!!
    Identical girls born 11/17/13
    BFP#4 EDD 8/27/15 MMC at 7w6d

BFP#5 m/c at 6w

BFP#6 EDD 10/5/16  Going Strong!  It's a Girl!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    I wonder if this etiquette situation is different in different parts of the world/US. Here, most people get a shower To celebrate a second, third, tenth baby. Seriously, it's normal in my area. Every local person I know IRL has a shower with each baby. It's not even a question. Maybe it's a southern thing!? My husband's work is giving us one (was supposed to be a surprise but I'm so glad someone who knows us and knows we don't like surprises told us ahead of time so they could relay that info. Plus Hard to plan for a surprise after 32 weeks pg w twins), and some ladies at my church are "bringing the shower to me" next week. They're doing finger foods and just coming to my house.
    My husband's cousin is having #3 and having a. Full blown shower. This is normal and no one bats an eye around here.
  • Options

My ds just turned 3 and I'm having twin girls.  My friend was really insistent about throwing me a shower.  I was hesitant about it and worried if people would think it's tacky to have a second one.  However, I lived in CA when I had my son and have since moved to UT, so none of my friends here had ever been to a shower for me.  It's pretty normal in this area to have a second shower if you're having a different gender and in our case multiples!  I was worried no one would come, but I had 30 people show and they were all so excited so I'm glad I did it. 

I'd say if someone wants to throw you a shower, go for it!  If people think it's tacky they just won't come.  I wouldn't want a meet the baby party, that's the last thing you need when you're worried about preemies, germs and still trying to recover from giving birth.

• Options
    I really think it's personal preference. Everyone I know here has had multiple showers for each of their children. I think the majority of us think it's more about celebrating a new baby than about it being proper etiquette. I have a girlfriend who is pregnant with her 5th, and their church threw them a shower. My best friend & MIL are throwing me a shower and I've been blown away by how much people want to help out & bless us. It's a whole different game when it's twins. IMHO.
    Pregnancy Ticker

"To be pregnant is to be vitally alive, thoroughly woman, and undoubtedly inhabited" - Anne Buchanan
  • Options
    Our friends and family have been pretty insistent on throwing a shower for us, we decided to have one but it's more to celebrate my SO and his trip into parenthood.  Our twins are his first children and our friends are throwing us a coed family "party" at a park with friends and family.  

In my circle of friends everyone has showers for 2nd, 3rd, and so on children.  I struggled with the decision some but finally realized if our friends and family want to do this for us then we will be thankful to spend the day with those we love.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I asked this question on a couple of boards when I was pregnant. The general consensus was that since I was having twins, and they were both boys (my 1st was a girl) it would be okay. 
    But in the end I just didn't feel comfortable with it, and asked that they not through me another shower.
    I do have friends who've had big showers each time they have another baby (even when it's the 3rd singleton, of the same gender). It's a little weird, but I've always gone and enjoyed the parties. 
    Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
  • Options
    From an outsider looking in, every single friend of mine that has had a second baby shower I have never thought, "Oh God, that's tacky." I've always been excited about them having a baby again and this is our time to celebrate it!

imageSoon to be San Diego Mommy! 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    In Denmark there is no such thing as a shower :) you have a baptism or naming party where people bring gifts after the baby is born.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the responses! I think I will ask my friends to keep it really small and not mention gifts or a registry on the invite. I don't want a meet the baby party, as I don't want a bunch of people holding them right away and especially right before flu season.

BabyFruit Ticker

BFP#3: 2/3/14, EDD 10/15/14, fraternal TWINS confirmed 2/21/14, two BOYS confirmed on 4/15/14!

• Options
    Never heard of the term 'sprinkle' before...is it a regional thing? Where is everyone from? Either way all the sprinkle talk makes this preg mama want to pee.
    Me: 34 - low ovarian reserve
    DH: 40 - no issues  

3 failed IUI's 

IVF #1 3/12 - 13 eggs, 9 fertilized,  2 transferred (1 grade 2 blast, 1 early blast), no frosties, 3/30/12 - 9dp5dt spotting, BFNs

IVF #2. 7/12 - 18 days of stims, 3 mature eggs, 3 fertilized (ICSI), 3 transferred (9, 8, 7 cell) on day 3.  First beta - 8/21/12 = 105, beta #2 - 8/23/12 = 268, beta #3 - 8/30/12 = 2,352. 2nd u/s - 9/4/12. Baby Boy born 5/1/2013.

IVF #3 Now (12/13). AMH is very low - 0.19. ER (12/5) 12 eggs, 10 mature, 7 fertilized using ICSI. 3 transferred (8,8,8 cell - all grade 2) on day 3. First beta - 12/21/13 = 126, beta #2 - 12/23/13 = 400, beta #3 - na (office was closed for new year's). First sonogram - TWINS aka OMG! -  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic  image

Pregnancy Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    LucyRicardo3LucyRicardo3 member
    edited March 2014
    I really think it does vary from area to area, and even within different social circles, too.

I, personally, agree with other PP's that all babies are to be welcomed. However, I would encourage it to be a very scaled-down gathering. No fancy custom invitations, gourmet food, or lavish registry. "Just the basics, ma'am. "  and certainly don't throw it for yourself. If someone offers, decline. If they offer again, insist on it being simple.

A Sip N See would make me nervous, not just for the germ exposure, but it's tough enough as it is trying to get your bf/pumping/feeding schedule(s) established, and trying to get some rest to recover from delivery as well as very little sleep anyway. I would be too worn out and nervous to enjoy any of it.

Another option would just to meet your friends for dinner somewhere that is local and affordable and everyone goes "dutch", more as a social time or Girls Night Out Dinner, without gifts expected. I've been to one of those and it's a great time and I simply brought a Hallmark card with a Target gift card inside for whatever necessities the mom may still need.

Enjoy this time!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers  image

Lilypie - (9CKY)Lilypie - (xzY1)

• Options
    DD is only 16 months and we're now expecting b/g twins. A new friend of mine has decided to throw me a shower. She didn't get to go to DD's shower b/c we weren't really friends then, but we've grown super close now and I know it means a lot to her, too. I think when you're having twins it's not tacky to have a shower. We have enough for one baby (and the girl), but we'll need lots of things again, and I like the idea of celebrating these twins that get to come home with us. I'm not inviting as many people as my shower with DD, like it'll be mostly friends. If someone offers to throw you a shower I say go for it!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    If your friends want to throw you a sprinkle I say let them! If people don't want to go they won't, I personally love baby showers.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    DD is only 16 months and we're now expecting b/g twins. A new friend of mine has decided to throw me a shower. She didn't get to go to DD's shower b/c we weren't really friends then, but we've grown super close now and I know it means a lot to her, too. I think when you're having twins it's not tacky to have a shower. We have enough for one baby (and the girl), but we'll need lots of things again, and I like the idea of celebrating these twins that get to come home with us. I'm not inviting as many people as my shower with DD, like it'll be mostly friends. If someone offers to throw you a shower I say go for it!

@shanaynerz, congrats! Are you guys upgrading to a minivan with the news of twins? We are strongly considering it even though I never wanted one! So many new decisions now that we are expecting two instead of one!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @mer313131 Congrats to you, too! Yup we've already bought the minivan! DH wanted to just get it right away. My Ford Explorer only had 2 seats in the middle and the 3rd row would have been impossible to get to. There are definitely so many more things to consider now with expecting two! I feel like we have so much to do/get and are running out of time.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"