January 2014 Moms

Ugh, Zantac isn't helping DS2

Sorry this is a bit long. 
DS2 started on Zantac last Thursday for silent reflux.  We had some struggles giving it to him, but he has gotten all of his full doses the last 5 days for sure, before then he may have lost a bit due to my struggles administering it.  
I have barely seen any change, the choking/gagging has reduced in frequency by maybe 25%, but all other symptoms are still there.  He has lots of wet burps that make him cry or make him grunt and fuss still.  Today he started a new symptom, he started bubbling at the mouth.  He's been on his 6 week growth spurt since Monday, so that's not helping things.  He won't sleep longer than half an hour at a time in the day and at night he's up at least every hour.  Tonight he's been absolutely miserable, he cried for the better part of 3 hours, only stopping when I nursed him.  
I called the pedi/LC twice today but they never returned my call.  I'm going to try again tomorrow.  
I've been making sure to keep him elevated while nursing and after for at least half an hour. I put the bassinet on an angle, but that doesn't help.  I'm going to see if he'll sleep better in the swing tonight since that is a greater angle.  He wakes up super congested in the middle of the night, even with the cool mist humidifier going.  I'm sure the congestion is keeping him up more than anything since he has a hard time breathing. I'm using saline drops to try to help that out, I just bought them today so hopefully they will help him.  
What else would you reflux mommas suggest? Anybody have reflux that either had no change or got worse on Zantac? 
image image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Ugh, Zantac isn't helping DS2

• Ugh no advice but I feel for you. I hope the Dr calls back first thing.

• My first aid kit came with this awesome small medicine bottle with a nipple attached. I had troubles giving DS his Zantac until I used that. I out his dose in it and half an ounce if formula and he eats it without a problem. Then I wait about 5 minutes and feed him his meal. It can be given with or without food, so I mix it just to make it easier on the both of us.

What dose is your LO on? It's weight based and you might need to ask for a dosage increase. It's generally 5-10 mg/kg/day in 2 divided doses.
  • Loading the player...
  • Zantac isn't usually the most effective option. It is common for people to have to move on to other meds like Prevacid (different type of drug).

That said-- meds won't help with the spitting up or choking part. All they do is help make baby comfortable and eliminate the painful burning sensation associated with the acid.

Make sure you don't have over active letdown because that can exacerbate (or mimick) reflux. I would consider eliminating dairy- fully- for awhile too as that can be a culprit.

Try the swing, but sometimes baby gear like that can actually be worse if they "curl" baby up, if that makes sense. The Rock n Play is popular for refluxers and doesn't seem to pose that issue.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• They say reflux gets increasingly worse till 3/4 months old. It's getting worse for our LO, who is almost 2 months old and on Zantac. For the last two days he's been spitting up all morning - luckily he doesn't seem to mind. But he also has spit bubbles, congestion, etc. 

The doc just prescribed Prilosec - as soon as we get him started on it I'll let you know if we see a change or improvement. For now, he can still sleep in the swing - the motion makes him feel better and keeps him asleep for up to 4 hours on a good day.

Good luck to you!

• CopperT0pCopperT0p member
    edited February 2014
    Thanks. He is on 0.7mL 3x daily and last Thursday he was 12lb 6oz. I have been reducing my dairy but I am going to cut it now to try to help him out.
    image image

• He slept a lot better last night thanks to the saline nose drops. He slept 2-2.5hours at a time as opposed to 1hour. It was awesome.
    image image

• We just put DS on Prevacid because the Zantac wasn't cutting it.
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Ds1 had bad reflux and Zantac didn't help. We ended up on Prevacid, which like PP said, doesn't stop the spit up but it did stop the screaming & fussing. Around 6 months we were able to stop the Prevacid and he hasn't had problems since.
    imageimage

image"AlternaTickers">image
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • We had him weighed today at his 6 week appointment and he is up nearly a pound from last Thursday. They said we can up his dose to 0.8mL 3x daily. She wants him on it another week and then we will evaluate how he is doing.
    He had horrible crying fits tonight because of the reflux. I really hope this higher dose helps with the pain. The trouble will be that we will have to probably up the dose each week since he has gained a pound a week since he was a week old.
    image image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"