August 2014 Moms

VBAC?

Have any moms on here had a vbac? I was induced with DS, pushed for two hours and his head was turned and he wouldn't descend so they had to do a c section. Recovery wasn't terrible but I have been thinking of doing a vbac because I want to do skin to skin and breastfeed right away. DH is against it and wants the RCS. I'm also concerned I'll push for hours again and still get a c section. Any feedback would be great!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: VBAC?

• I am a FTM so no experience but just had a mom tell me that with her first she was induced things got so rough so fast that baby "got stuck" according to her doctor and she was taken for a C section. She was very adamant with her second that she wanted to go into labor naturally and do VBAC. Her doc was very adamant that they do a RCS. She was told at 38 weeks we MUST schedule a RCS the night before she was supposed to schedule it she went into labor. 4 hours later she delivered her second daughter. No meds, no pitocin, no difficult labor. She stood her ground and let things happen they way nature wanted. It is more than possible to do a VBAC but understandable to worry about a difficult labor again.  
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • You will probably get better answers on the V BAC board.

Why is your H against it?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I tried for a vbac with my second and third and neither worked out. This time I have I go rcs. To me it wasn't a huge deal, so I wasn't overly disappointed. For what it's worth, I was able to do skin to skin and breast feeding with my 3rd some right in the OR while they were sewing me up and stuff. They pulled him out, moved my hospital gown and put him right on my chest. It was great.

This was my experience too. I just never went into labor and they wouldn't let me go more than a week past due--but, it was an amazing c/s experience with skin to skin right away and nursing DS within 15 minutes.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

I didn't even know there was a vbac board. There's a board for everything on here! I think he likes the convenience of a c section which is a dumb reason for doing it. Especially since I had complications last time (my incision got infected). We have an appt with the doc Monday so I plan to discuss it with her with him at the appt too.
  • I had one 15 months ago, gonna do it again this time hopefully.
    Soon to be mommy of 3!
    DS Grayson (3yrs) (Emergency Csec)
    imageDS Camden (1yr) (All natural Vbac)
    DD Isabella due 8/2/2014

BabyFetus Ticker
  • VBACfacts.org is a great resource too. I am not a csection mom but I went to a vbac seminar to support a friend who is trying for one soon, taught by the woman who started the website and all the information was fascinating to me. Get on there are read read read! It's really important to look at both the risks and benefits of both vbac or RCS, the thing that got me is the risks of RCS are hardly ever discussed with the mom in detail, and a lot of the reasons for denying the option of vbac are not based on medical evidence. Whatever you decide make sure you have a supportive medical team to help you and truly support your wishes, and as the above ladies mentioned, having immediate skin to skin and breastfeeding is absolutely an option with a csection, you just need to find the right provider who will be on board and support your wishes :).

Evidence based birth and birth without fear are also awesome resources, good luck with your decision!

I didn't even know there was a vbac board. There's a board for everything on here! I think he likes the convenience of a c section which is a dumb reason for doing it. Especially since I had complications last time (my incision got infected). We have an appt with the doc Monday so I plan to discuss it with her with him at the appt too.
    While personally I am choosing to go RCS, I would definitely have that discussion with your husband present. It sounds like your doctor is supportive and said you would be a good candidate right? I think it would help for your H to hear that.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I'm not sure of my doctors stance on it since this will be our first convo. But I trust her judgement completely. She delivered DS and has been with me through two miscarriages as well. I've also been checking out the vbac board. Thanks!
  • I had 2 vbacs. My first baby was a preemie, emergency csection bc of severe pre-eclampsia. I did not labor with him at all. My first vbac was a pretty typical first vaginal birth. I went into labor on my own, as my dr would not induce for a vbac. Labor was long and hard, but recovery was so much easier and I had a toddler to chase. My third birth was easy, easy in comparison to the others. Minimal recovery. Vbac is definitely worth investigating. My dr was very supportive, and that helped. I hired a doula, and that helped, too. Every case is different; it is good to explore your options!
    imageimageimageimage
  • I agree that you should get the doctor's opinion on whether you are a good candidate or not before you spend a ton of time stressing over it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
    BFP#1 10/11/11 - DD born 6/6/12;   
    BFP#2  7/6/13 - Due 3/8/13, MMC at 12w  D&C on 8/31/13;    
    BFP #3  11/26/13 - Due 8/6/14
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Adam-n-EmilyAdam-n-Emily member
    edited February 2014
    I am going to attempt a med-free VBAC this time. My new OB group also has midwives. I also plan on hiring a doula and am going to do hypnobabies.

I first csection was due to failure to progress. I was induced too early and my labor stalled.

I have researched and researched. I feel like due to complications during the operation that a VBAC is best for me and my family this time around.
    TTC#1 11.1.2010 |  BFP 1.4.2011 | Benton Henry born 9.13.2011

TTC #2 11.1.2013 | BFP 12.17.13 | Due Date 8.22.14

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"