August 2013 Moms

Finally...

So for the past few months I haven't been feeling like myself. For weeks I've been in denial. Lots of "it's all in your head" and "you just had a rough day" and "it'll get better" going around. I'm just not the person I was or want to be anymore.

We had LO's 6 month appointment today and the doctor asked how I was doing... Cue melt down. I wasn't prepared for it and neither was he. I'm pretty sure ugly crying when asked how it's going probably isn't a good sign.

Anyways, I'm finally getting help. Finally admitting that there might be a problem.

Sorry for the dear diary post, but I did have a question. Does anyone have any experience with Zoloft? Of course google came up with hundreds of mixed bits of information, just thought I'd ask. Yay for having PPD...

Re: Finally...

• No experience with Zoloft but glad you're getting help towards feeling better.

Engaged 10/2/1202
    BFP (a lil quicker than expected) 12/7/2012
    Married to my best friend 12/24/2012
    Beautiful baby girl arrived 8/15/2013
    BFP #2 3/13/2016

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My Dh had been on Zoloft for almost ten yrs. He was off of it while we TTC, then went back on it. It can mess with libido, and he says he feels like her is in a fog sometimes, but without it, he has tons of issue

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies :x

@bunnyfer hmm... That makes me question my doctor's opinion that it's safe while BFing.

• It may be safe...I took it at one point many years ago, and I did not take well to it. It's kind of trial and error with those meds. Dh has dropped down to a half dosage and that seems to help him feel less in a fog. Be aware that once you start, coming off it is very hard

• Good job taking the step to reach out for help. I hope things start to click and feel better for you quickly.

My mom took Zoloft and had a horrible experience, really horrible. DH took it and it worked wonders for him, a complete 180 in the right direction. Not trying to scare you, just saying it works differently for people.
    Once you start, if you feel like something is off, be your own advocate and trust your gut. If Zoloft isn't for you then you can try something else.
    One last point on any anxiety med...take the time to come off them slowly. Stopping abruptly can cause some serious mood issues...I'm sure your dr will tell you all this also.
  • @Revez - Good for you getting help! I never took Zoloft but took Lexapro several years ago and I definitely know the benefits of an antidepressant. What happened to me was similar, I was at my GP and he was making small talk and asked about work and a single tear rolled down my cheek. He was all, "Oh, crap!".

PM me if you need anything I can provide. :)

• I was on Zoloft I'm college for a bit. It worked well for me. Do stop cold turkey, wean off.

It may lessen your ability to **ahem** "finish" and lower libido, but if it helps your well being it may be worth a temporary decrease.

It doesn't have to be forever. You can try it for 6 months, and see how you do off of it at that point.
  • I'm giving it a 3 month trial as I'll be seeing my doctor again at lo's 9 month appointment. We'll see how it goes.

It's not like my libido can go any lower... So there's a bright side, right?

• I've taken Zoloft for 3 years (minus when I was pregnant). I take the smallest dose, and notice enough of a difference to make my quality of life better. Good luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Revez said:
    I'm giving it a 3 month trial as I'll be seeing my doctor again at lo's 9 month appointment. We'll see how it goes. It's not like my libido can go any lower... So there's a bright side, right?
    You should totally tell your DH his farts cause your low libido! I bitched my DH about eating so much dairy when he is lactose intolerant. I said, "At least leave the room, or hell, even point your butt away from me!"

• No experience but lotsa hugs to you. Good job and getting some help.
  • BellaOso said:

Revez said:

I'm giving it a 3 month trial as I'll be seeing my doctor again at lo's 9 month appointment. We'll see how it goes.

It's not like my libido can go any lower
    ... So there's a bright side, right?

You should totally tell your DH his farts cause your low libido! I bitched my DH about eating so much dairy when he is lactose intolerant. I said, "At least leave the room, or hell, even point your butt away from me!"

In a desperate attempt to breath clean air I told him last night that his gas was probably the cause of my PPD. Any signs of stopping? Nadda.

• Hugs!! I am so glad you're taking steps to make yourself feel better. I have no experience with Zoloft, but if you ever need to chat, I am here.

• Hugs. Glad you are doing something to help you feel better.
  • Texasmomma13Texasmomma13 member
    edited February 2014
    I've been on the 25mg for about 6 weeks. It's helped me so much. I just can't even describe how much it has helped. I think maybe I should have been medicated years ago.
    Eta: it had the opposite effect on my libido.
    Bow chica wow wow!! ;-)
       image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    photo s622_zps5a9557e5.jpg photo 7ed57166-3187-446e-8404-f2ef169fe40f_zps238c4d05.jpg photo s620_zps504f3ce2.jpg
  • Glad you figured it out. (((Hugs))) hope you start feeling like you again soon
    photo df19160f-bf4d-4b1a-aa18-f922c7344247.jpgphoto 6650edf4-b52e-4beb-a3cd-6bdc9480c61c.jpg
    ~may siggy challenge~

photo IMG_20140501_070346.gif photo IMG_20140501_071323.gif
  • Zoloft did nothing for me, but it seems to be the favorite if you're breastfeeding. Since that turned out to be a miserable failure for me, I went back on my good old tried-and-true Celexa. Breastfeeding does kind of limit your options where antidepressants are concerned.
    CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've been on the 25mg for about 6 weeks. It's helped me so much. I just can't even describe how much it has helped. I think maybe I should have been medicated years ago.
    Eta: it had the opposite effect on my libido.
    Bow chica wow wow!! ;-)

You're living the dream! I hope I'm as lucky and it affects me the same way [-O<

• So glad you're getting help!! I've taken Zoloft for years.. It's helped a lot and I've been told by a few docs it's completely safe while BF'ing. :)
  • So happy you're getting it figured out!

Anniversary

• Hugs! Keeping you in my thoughts.
  • I am currently on Zoloft, which was prescribed by my OB after I was diagnosed with PPD. I am on 50mg once daily, but they had started me at 25mg. I cannot tell you how glad I am I went and got help. The difference with the medicine is night and day. I was having multiple crying sessions a day before, and now I function like a pretty normal person (well, an extremely sleep deprived one, but you get the idea). 

I just want to say that I'm glad you talked to the doctor about this. It is a hard admission to make, but it really is the first step to feeling better. Please PM me if you need to chat. I'm here for you! HUGS!

12/19/2012 BFP! 
    EDD 08/26/2013 
    Our little girl arrived 8/22/2013!

• BellaOso said:
    @Revez - Good for you getting help! I never took Zoloft but took Lexapro several years ago and I definitely know the benefits of an antidepressant. What happened to me was similar, I was at my GP and he was making small talk and asked about work and a single tear rolled down my cheek. He was all, "Oh, crap!".

PM me if you need anything I can provide. :)
    I had been on Lexapro a while ago as well. It helped. And I definitely agree about coming off it slowly. The only con I had was I definitely ballooned up after coming off of it. I was also on Wellbutrin which could have been the culprit as well. But as far as I'm concerned they worked wonders together. 

I'm so glad you're getting help. <3 It's tough. I've been battling a lot lately too and not really feeling myself since LO's been here. It seems like it's only getting worse too. I've been trying to purposely adjust my mood by myself but I'm not sure I'm really succeeding at it. I've contemplated seeing someone but I just haven't taken the steps. 

Always here if you need anything. <333 Feel better mama. 

• Glad you talked with your doctor and hope things just keep getting better from here!

"The cleaning, the scrubbing will wait til tomorrow,
    For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
    So, quiet down cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
    I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep."
  • I'm sorry to hear you're dealing with this but very glad you're getting help. It's such a difficult thing to process all the emotions you have when you become a parent. Good job for you on getting some help. Let us know how you're doing ok?
  • Thank-you ladies for all the support. It means a lot to me.

• Revez said:
    @Revez Responded! :) 

12/19/2012 BFP! 
    EDD 08/26/2013 
    Our little girl arrived 8/22/2013!

• very glad you are getting the help you need! Hang in there mama!! You are doing great! Don't let anyone else make you think you are doing any less! Sending prayers that everything evens out for you!
    Aug.13 May Siggy Challenge: Moms
  • No experience with Zoloft but I am glad you are getting help. I hope you feel better soon!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"