Cloth Diapering
Options

CD my Newborn

So we used DC with DS 3 years ago, but didn't start until he could fit into the BG 4.0 that we purchased.  I just found out I'm expecting #3 and want to begin CD from day 1.  What is your favorite diaper solution for nb?  I'm open to all options.  

Separate Question:  If we use flats do we have to use a cover during the nb stage?  I never used flats before. 

Thanks!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: CD my Newborn

• Options
    musicalsilvermusicalsilver member
    edited February 2014
    ^^
    WSS

I never tried the blueberry mini-coveralls though (I do really love their OS), and really like my bummis super snaps with GMD prefolds.

Simplex NB AIOs are pretty rocking if you're looking for a AIO solution.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    DS born 6/2013
  • Options
    I loved Kissaluvs 0 at the newborn stage. But it would be expensive to have a stash full of them. Prefolds are a great option and I've heard great things about GMD workhorses.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    GMD NB + thirsties size 1
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    or Bummis cover
  • Options
    I'd do a mix of 12 GMD prefolds, 12 GMD small flats, and either 12 GMD workhorse fitteds or 12 Simplex AIOs.  8 total covers.  2 Blueberry mini coveralls (aplix), 2 Bummis Super Brites (aplix), 2 Sweet Pea NB (aplix), and 2 thirsties duo wraps size 1 (snap).

image imageimageimage

• Options
    GMD newborn prefolds and rumparooz lil joey covers or bummis super brite covers.
  • Options
    here is another option. 24 prefolds 12 flats (easier doubling or full use diaper) with 6-8 covers.
    good cheap double gusset covers for newborns Assunta around $5 a cover.

the cover that by 95% of all my 7 months of daily research on these boards and other sources... is the best is the Blueberry Capri cover.  That being said the same has been said about the Assunta covers which are cheaper by far. 

if you are expecting your Lo to be on the bigger side at birth and don't mind a little bulk do small prefolds and skip the newborn size they will last you longer to get you to the one size diapers

also I would Highly suggest either a Snappi, Boingos or pins. to contain newborn explosive poops :-)
  • Options
    oh and comparable brands to Green Mountain Diapers are, Imagine, Diaper Rite, and Osocozy for flats and prefolds
  • Options
    My NB stash is:
    12 GMD NB prefolds
    12 GMD NB snap workhorses
    12 BG NB AIOs

2 Blueberry Capri aplix covers
    1 thirsties aplix cover
    1 RaR snaps cover

6 GMD small doublers
    6 hemp doublers
    (Since I hear babies outgrow the BG AIO absorbency I want to be prepared and can use them later on too)

After lurking and asking around and checking out others' posts, this is what I decided I think will work best for my family: a mixture of convenient AIOs with less expensive fitteds and PFs. Since we're first time parents AND totally new to CDs I wanted a variety. You might already know you don't have the patience for PFs, in which case I would recommend AIOs or fitteds+covers. Or if the idea of PFs isn't daunting, I'd recommend more of them because they're so economical for the brief NB phase. :)
  • Options
    Thank you ladies...this has given me a really good jumping off point.  I'm not apprehensive about purchasing nb pf because I have a complete stash of bg 4.0 that I would love to replace the yucky microfiber inserts for and I could easily use the pf for that once lo has out grown.  I'm also sure that dh is going to love the idea of 12 diaper for 25 dollars vs 17.50/diaper.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    Kissas fitteds
    Blueberry Capri cover and prefolds
    6 m/c
    Anovulatory cycles, increased Synthroid Diagnosed Sep 2010
    Natural cycle Dec 2010 BFP M/C 6 1/2 Weeks, D&E Jan 2011
    1 Clomid/Ovidrel BFN May 2011
    Natural cycle Aug 2011 BFP M/C 4 Weeks
    1 IUI Sept 2011 BFP M/c 7 weeks
    Provera Dec 2011 BFP M/C 3 Weeks
    DQ ALPHA HLA MATCH, High NK Cells Diagnosed Dec 2011
    IVF March 2012 BFP m/c 4weeks 5 days (IL, Prednisone)
    IVF#2w/DS July 2012 MEGA FAILURE BFN (IL, Dexamethasone)
    Diagnosed No real HLA Match, DQ Beta Triad, High TNF, Low NK Cells
    Oct 2012 Natural Cycle m/c 4wks (Lovenox, Prednisone) 
    Went to Beer Center- high tnf, low lad, implantation failure
    Nov/Dec 2012 LIT Treatment
    Dec 12 Humira
    Jan 2013 BFP
    Humira,LIT,Prednisone, Lovenox, IVIG, Baby Aspirin
    Miracle Born August 2013 Premature

Yours doesn't have to be a sad story

Lilypie - (ugiy)

• Options
    Prefolds, flats, or GMD workhorses and covers (RaR NB or Blueberry Mini Coverall). Followed by NB Simplex and then RaR Lil Joey.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Im just starting out with this one (due in a couple months) and I have decided to do bummis organic prefolds (24) and will order about 6 more flats or prefolds to get me to 30 as well as 4 Imagine newborn diaper covers (have double gussets) and 2 blueberry mini coveralls. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Love my Kissaluvs size 0s. I actually do have a whole stash of them that I got on Craigslist and they are perfect! Prefolds are fine too, but I prefer the fitteds. I liked my Prowrap covers but they are boring white. We also used some Bummis and Thirsties. Bummis fit great when tiny but outgrew quickly. Thirsties didn't fit for several weeks. Just depends on your baby though!
    #1 7/2013
    #2 3/2015
    #3 3/2017
    #4 10/2019
  • Options
    I used flats and prefolds for the first month, then added a few fitteds. At 2.5 months, LO is beginning to fit in one size diapers. He still fits in RaR newborn covers with a single prefold or flat. The Thirsties covers were too big for the first few weeks. (I had a tiny baby-came home 6 lbs 1oz, 11 lbs now.)
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    First off, congrats! I recommend prefolds with covers. LO was too small for the newborn prefolds we had, so we used sposies for 3 weeks until she was big enough and wasn't completely swimming in them. We also really love Thirsties Duo Wrap covers.

Edit: covers
    image   image
  • Options
    I promise you will not go wrong with GMD PF and thirsties duo wrap size 1. Don't be me and completely forget to use the jelly roll. I didn't have an explosion, but I was on the verge of having one. thank god i changed her diaper when i did. I have never had any leaks…ever! I will say that my LO was itty bitty so the NB didn't fit until she was almost three weeks old. She is now a little over 7lbs so we are good to go :) 
  • Options
    Oh and I have 24 GMD PF and 7 covers(thirsties duo wrap size 1, rumparoo cover NB size, and bummis NB cover), but you don't need that many covers. PF I wash pretty much everyday just because i don't like letting my diapers sit there, but you can get away with EOD if you wanted to. I wouldn't recommend only 12. i can't keep count on how many times i was in the middle of changing her and she peed or let out poop, and there went another PF. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"