2nd Trimester
Options

3 Day Tension Headache

So today is day 3 of me having a tension headache.  I have used Tylenol and an ice pack but both only give temporary relief. My head hurts around my eyes, goes around to the back of my head and into my neck and shoulders.  Any suggestions?  I have thought about seeing a chiropractor or message therapist but not sure which would be more beneficial.  The pain is worse at night and sometimes will wake me up.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

Re: 3 Day Tension Headache

• Options
    I had something very similar a few weeks ago - it was just killing me!  What you describe sounds exactly the same.  I used heat packs on my neck and the base of my head and did some really stretchy yoga.  The thing that finally worked for me was going to see a massage therapist.  I told her exactly what I was feeling and she worked on the pressure points at the base of my skull.  If you feel along the back of your head, you hit that ridge where the skull meets the neck and that is apparently where most tension headaches get based.  I tried massaging myself but it just didn't work.  The other thing I should point out is that the massage person I went to specialized in cranialsacrum work and that was the real clincher!  It was still sore the rest of the day but was finally gone the next day!!

Good luck!!!
  • Options
    I had the same thing...my OB told me to take two extra strength tylenol (1000 mg/1g) total with a caffeinated beverage.  It worked for me.  Hope you can get some relief soon!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've been getting similar tension headaches off and on too, they suck, especially the ones that last for multiple days.  I'm sorry you're going through this.  I've also found relief through yoga, especially downward dog (though I generally have to take Tylenol and make sure the pain is under control before starting otherwise it's no fun).  I'm also finding that I sometimes get them if I have too much salt or not enough water, so I'm trying to stay hydrated. Not enough sleep also triggers them.  Anyhow, I just got a prescription for massage from my midwife, so I'll let you know if that helps.  Again, sorry you're going through this, and I hope you find some relief soon!

first pregnancy
    due August 20, 2014
    (my blog about bikes, growing things, home remodeling 
    and other random life stuff)

• Options
    I had the same problem for about a couple weeks and ended up calling my dr. b/c I began to worry. They told me you can take up to 6 Tylenol a day and add a can of caffeine soda with it and it should go away. She also said that if they did not go away they may have to prescribe me something. I agree with what another post said to drink lots of water and when you get them try to lay your head down for a minute. I currently take naps in the break room at work when I feel one coming on and it helps. 
  • Options
    Drink more water, get a massage,... these sound like a great start.

I saw a chiro last pregnancy and loved it. My issues were more in my pelvis though, so can't speak to how they may help with headaches. Acupuncture? I've only tried it once, but headaches are the kind of thing it can help.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    **Lurker butting in*** I've had a similar headache and the only thing that helped it was acupuncture. I got temporary relief from a massage but it was back within a few hours. Acupuncture made it go away entirely! I don't believe acupuncture is a cure-all, but for muscle tension it seems to work well, at least for me.
    Me - 35. DH - 40. TTC #1 since 9/2010. 
    IUI #1-2 BFN
    IUI #3 BFP = C/P
    IUI #4-6 BFNs
    IVF #1 Lupron and Gonal F: 29R 29M 28F
    2 blastocysts transferred 12/14/13
    Beta at 9dp5dt = 285; Beta at 12dp5dt = 925
    It's twins! EDD 9/2/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I've been getting headaches regularly especially this past week. I never thought to tell my chiropractor. Now I definitely will! I agree with the poster who suggested the heating pad. However wine always increases my pain, especially red, so I don't know about that one...
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    I had a (stress+sinus) headache that lasted for two days, the pain was only started when I was going to prenatal yoga and I thought it would take care of it, right? wrong! it got worse and lasted until the end of the second day.

my husband tried massaging my head, under my eyes, my temples, I tried heat packs, and took two regular panadols every 4-6 hours and had a cup of strong tea..

now whenever I go to a spa/salon to get any sort of treatment I ask for my scalp to be massaged. It helps me a lot as I get so many headaches that are mostly sinus infection/sinus congestion based as I've suffered from this all my life and I feel that the constant massages help thing moving along inside
    imageimage
    God Bless You my Little One
    Farida, our first child, born on the 19th of July 2014
    Farida, at 8 weeks
  • Options
    Thanks for all the tips ladies! I ended up getting a massage and that helped a lot.  Although I did end up getting throwing up twice that day after, I don't know if it was connected to the massage or not but thought it was worth mentioning!  Oh and I was able to start eating something other than pop tarts this past weekend!  Super exciting!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"